SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#24679 - 04/26/00 12:27 AM The XV-88 and XV-5080 are on my desk !!!
Inray Offline

Loc: GREECE
Hi folks...
After two and a half months my preordered XVs are here. I also have the new piano PCM card. Believe it or not they both sound great. Excellent and clear outputs and killer sound. (My K2600 seems to me not so great any more).
I will test'em for some days (and nights ) and i'll post around some reviews.

BTW The XV88 is THE keyboard !!! I must buy some meters (!) of midi cable to connect it as my master kbd.

See you soon...

#24680 - 04/26/00 07:23 AM Re: The XV-88 and XV-5080 are on my desk !!!
KIKO Offline

Loc: Paris FRANCE
How lucky you are !!!

I'm dying to know how it competes with a JV 2080 considering rom sounds and how it competes with a S760 considering samples S 700 serie loading and playing. Also the quality of audio signal...

Roland says the XV 5080 needs to convert samples from S 700 serie. Does it mean there's a loss of quality in the conversion ?

Also how about the concert piano expansion with the piano we find in the SESSION card ?

Thanks a lot for your answers.

Best regards.

KIKO

#24681 - 04/26/00 01:33 PM Re: The XV-88 and XV-5080 are on my desk !!!
Inray Offline

Hi KIKO...

I had 2080 last two years and i was very pleased with it. But the new XVs are far better than anything Roland build until now. Even the same JV expansion card sound somehow better on XV due to the new hires A/D converters and excellent s/n ratio on the XV sound circuit.

The 5080 sample playback format is similar to S700 but with some minnor differences. The new DSP logic and algorithms are different so the sounds need that convertion. It is mostly a clean convertion and i found no clicks or noice on the converted sounds.
Instead of that i found converted samples sound somewhat crisper than on S700.

The piano sound on SESSION JV card has nothing to do with new SRX piano card. The new sound is on of the best i ever heard from a sample playback synth. The SESSION card's concert piano sounds to me like old Casio piano now. If anyone needs exceptional piano sounds (grands, concert) then he must buy XV + piano SRX card.

More later

#24682 - 04/26/00 04:13 PM Re: The XV-88 and XV-5080 are on my desk !!!
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
Hi,

How do you compare the piano sound of XV with Yamaha P80?

Thanks

#24683 - 04/26/00 05:39 PM Re: The XV-88 and XV-5080 are on my desk !!!
Korgasm Offline

Loc: Australia
Hi Folks!

I've got an XV3080 on layby!

Before I heard it I thought of getting a JV2080 and adding the session board. However, I find that alot of the great sounding session sounds especially the pianos, strings, nylon guitars and choirs are already in the XV synthes (but they sound even better!!!!). Therefore I wouldn't even consider a session board now.

I am dying to check out the new piano board. But I'm also very interested in the new SRX drum board also. Has anyway heard this and how would the sounds compare to say something like the SRJV bass and drums board?

Unfortunately, these boards are all still way overpriced in my opinion. However, you really have no choice but to pay the mula if you want the waveforms and sounds!!!!

Inray- just for interests sake, how do the acoustic pianos and nylon guitars in the stock XV's compare to those on the session board. I haven't heard the session board sounds since I sold my JV1010 last year so I'm interested to know if they are the same patches or completely new and improved sounds.

Personally, I hope Roland bring out an SRX board with more great vintage synthe samples.

Also a mega sounding orchestral board.

Cheers.

#24684 - 04/27/00 02:17 AM Re: The XV-88 and XV-5080 are on my desk !!!
KIKO Offline

Thanks very very much for your answer about 5080 conversion of S series samples !!!
So you can confirm That with 5080, I can load any S 700 series cd rom data (even old samples archvives, not only the new ones : LCX made especially for XB 5080 by Roland) ?

Also how long does the conversion take ?

Any cd rom reader or even writer supported ?

Really, thank you VERY MUCH !!!

Best regards.

#24685 - 04/27/00 03:45 AM Re: The XV-88 and XV-5080 are on my desk !!!
ss Offline

Loc: Norway
I'm glad to hear that you're pleased with the new XV-5080. I just wondered which country you live in, because I'v have perordered one myself, but Roland in my country (Norway) says that it won't be here until July (I'm very disaoppoindted...)

#24686 - 04/27/00 05:36 AM Re: The XV-88 and XV-5080 are on my desk !!!
Inray Offline

Hi...
SS i live in Greece and i ordered XVs two months ago. Roland distributor in my country doesn/t have them in stock yet.

KIKO the XV alone sounds better than JV with their addons due to excellent DSPs & IO. I think that their role isn't to take the place of a true sampler as they are not one. I have just three commercial S700 CDs and i had no problem to convert them in no time. The conversion is very fast almost instant. I don't know about other CDs.

sk880 I never had a P80 yamaha but i have a Kurzweill K2600 that has as you know some of the best pianos. The XV onboard pianos are very nice. Far better than Triton's, Roland session card, Yamaha S80 but not as good as K2600 or the real thing. BUT the SRX plugin pianos are excellent. With this PCM card XV competes the K2600 and i believe that Roland now has the best piano among other synths. (Remember it is a synth S&S module)

Korgasm hi...
I'm glad to hear that you've got your XV. Now you can see the difference yourself
I aggree with you about the SRX price
I haven't yet hear DRUM-SRX except some excellent demos. I'm waiting until Roland send me one (when it is available in my country). Also i'd like to see a vintage synth SRX card too instead to use JV ones.

PS: Roland's JV session card has some of the best pianos around but SRX pianos on the new 24bit HD/DSP output of XVs are even better.
Today i'll digitally record some XV piano parts to examine the noice floor on outputs. I'll post reports after that.

See you folks...

#24687 - 04/27/00 07:14 AM Re: The XV-88 and XV-5080 are on my desk !!!
KIKO Offline

Thanks a lot for all your infos about XV 5080 !!!

Do you think I can load patches and performances from JV 2080 in XV 5080 ?
- using sys ex
- or Galaxy+ / Unisyn (sorry I run under Mac but also have a PC but without JV editor)

Thanks very very much for all your tips, I can't get in a store whre they always : YES YES YES, BUY, BUY, BUY !!!

Best regards to every body.

#24688 - 04/28/00 03:04 AM Re: The XV-88 and XV-5080 are on my desk !!!
Inray Offline

KIKO hi...

Yes almost all JV/XP patches are usable on XV series. Roland says that XV are compatible with JV and my own patches work OK on 5080 and XV88. I have not try many but i think that there is no problem as the sound mapping is almost the same.

I'm glad if i helped you....
I wish you ... a quick buy

The best to all of you...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online