SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#24712 - 03/24/01 02:38 PM Dual or similar on the XP-80
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello!
I´m a guy from Sweden who recently got a roland XP-80 but I can´t figure out how to use the dual function (If i for example want to play strings and Piano at the same time). I also would like to learn how to split the keyboard (piano on the lower and strings on the upper keys).
I don´t own the manual so I´d appreciate if you´d answer kind of simple and easy .

#24713 - 03/24/01 04:14 PM Re: Dual or similar on the XP-80
KeyboardFreak Offline

I do not own an XP, but I believe there is a "Performance" mode that you must be in......... you can then set up "zones" to play different sounds in different ranges....... I know this is how it is done on the XV-88 and I'm almost positive this is how it works on the XP-10/30. I would guess the XP-60/80 is the same thing.......

If indeed the XP-80 does have a "performance" mode, try going to it and looking for a "zone" button, make sure it is set to be "layer" and not "single". Then find where you can edit the patches that are played in the performance, it should be under some menu somewhere...... set up patch 1 to be piano and patch 2 to be strings. Then you can go back to "zone" and mess with the ranges and what-not. This all, of course, is dependent upon the XP-80 in fact having the same basic controls as the XP-30 and XV-88. Hope this helps somehow......

------------------
Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

#24714 - 03/26/01 02:40 AM Re: Dual or similar on the XP-80
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
First off there is a patch of piano and strings already. There are two ways to do this that I know of. You can create a patch with up to four tones.
So, you pick a sound close to the one you want, saves on editing this way. Push f2, select the wave form you'd like on tone one, then push exit. then push f1f4, and set the keyboard range of that tone. Then go on to tone 2 and do the same, etcetra.

In perform mode you can have upto 16 different instruments,. Push f3, select part 1, then select your patch. Then select part two and select the patch you want. F2 is used to select keyboard range for each instrument designated to each part. Using a performance is probably the easier of the two methods.

Once you've created the sound you want, you must save it in a user bank, or recreate it each time you leave the patch.
Hope this wasn't too confusing. I do this all the time, and it's probably easier for me to do than to explain.
By the way, to save a patch, hit utility, numeric 1, then enter. Select the user number you'd like to save to, then f6 for execute. You'll probably need to turn right protection off at this point. Do this, hit exit, and f6 once more.

[This message has been edited by FAEbGBD (edited 03-26-2001).]

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online