SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#24766 - 05/16/00 07:27 AM dRUMZ
Animaniac Offline

Loc: Coventry,WM,England
Guitar player & XP80 owner looking for Rock sounding DESCENT drum kit patches for his xp80.

....ohh i am so desperate i ll probably have to buy something else for drums something like the TR-rack or the Alesis DM5

GIVE ME SOME DESCENT REAL SOUNDING DRUMS !!!
ARGHHHH.

Thank you.

#24767 - 05/16/00 12:36 PM Re: dRUMZ
Al_a_man Offline

Loc: U.K
My Xp-50 drums sound great (bearing in mind that this is a synth, and that sampling is necessairiuly limited). I don't find that big a difference between my drums and my brothers DM5, except a slight increase in quality, which becomes imperceptible when properly mixed. Maybe you wanna look at your amp/cabs...
Al

#24768 - 05/16/00 01:01 PM Re: dRUMZ
Animaniac Offline

Thanks for the reply al, i think you are right about mixing, when you have 4-5 instruments playing together with the drums they sound ok i would say, but the problem is when you have Drums & bass only, you get to notice that the sound is kind of ...irritating... it's not realistic enough for me, especially the snares, (except maybe the picolo snare). You said you brother has the DM5, is it any better? Would you say that it's more realistic, how better is it you think (in a scale of 1 to 10 how much would you give to the roland and how much to the DM5).
And please...dont tell me to go and buy the Bass and drums expansion card.....
thanks.

#24769 - 05/28/00 01:25 PM Re: dRUMZ
Al_a_man Offline

i think you are right about mixing, when you have 4-5 instruments playing together with the drums they sound ok i would say, but the problem is when you have Drums & bass only,

get a drummer? FX? errm, there's a limit to what can be achieved by a sampled sound, i either mike up Alex on his real kit, or Fx the buggery out of everything

You said you brother has the DM5, is it any better? Would you say that it's more realistic, how better is it you think (in a scale of 1 to 10 how much would you give to the roland and how much to the DM5).

Like I said there's a limit to how good a sampled sound can be. You also have to be aware that a live kit has the acoustics of the room, and the acual drums have 'sweet spots' no two hits are the same, so there's a constant change in the sound, even my brother's dm5 triggered from pads isn't as realistic as his real kit. The best thing you can do is stack up Reverb, and use a tad of chorus. Thes will be on the board...

And please...dont tell me to go and buy the Bass and drums expansion card.....

would I do that? I actually intend to, when I've bought my piano action board, multitracker, mixer, new, stereo amp, etc...
hehe, I wish...

hope that gives you something to work with...
Al

#24770 - 05/28/00 08:13 PM Re: dRUMZ
epu Offline

Please don't get mad, but I'd really advise that you go out and at least try out the SRJV80-10 Bass & Drums expansion baord. It is really worth it.

At one time (a couple of week ago) after owning an XP50 (recently upgraded to an XP60), I got fed up with the drums in the XP. They sounded terrible when compared to a drum set - I should mention that I can also play the drums and it was frustrating.

I then went to my local music store and tried out the XV3080 and was blown away by the realism, and sought to find out if my XP could sound like that. It's kinda funny. I had a Hip-Hop expansion board and completely ignored the B&D board because of the lack of variety (just bass and drums).

When I actually went toi try it, I was blown away. These drums are the best things next to a sampler. . . Really! They really are. I now use the B&D board more than my kit so I don't have to mic my drums. Like all synths, the sounds could be tweaked to your liking, like removing room ambiance (via shortning the times in the TVA). At least give it a chance. It was me trying this board out that stopped me from feeling intimidated to by the upcoming new Roland XV workstations.

The Bass sounds are excellent too. This is one of Roland's best boards. I was just about to pickup a DM5 or DMPro before I checked this board out. Just think about it, if you get the board instead of the module (and prices are falling for these - $199 at ZZsounds!!!), you don't have to worry about new Operating System learning curves and running out of inputs on your mixer, most importantly, everything would be contained in ONE workstation. Good luck.

The Inamous EPU.

#24771 - 05/29/00 04:09 AM Re: dRUMZ
Animaniac Offline

Thanks guys,

Epu i am gonna try your suggestion, after all i have nothing to lose. By the way i play the drums myself as well. And yes the idea of having everything on one workstation is what i am looking for. I am impressed by the session board which i am planning to buy, but i was listening to a demo cd of the Bass and drums board which wasnt as impressive as i would think it would be. I ll give it a second chance. As it's been already mentioned real drums come with room accoustics and two hits never sound the same but after all you cant have it all in a single workstation, i ll use the best option availiable for my money.

Thank you guys

#24772 - 05/29/00 06:36 AM Re: dRUMZ
epu Offline

Hey, I agree with you on the Session board. If it's any board you are gonna add to your setup, this is it. This is like the standard JV/XP Board to have.

However, the Bass & Drums is sure to keep your synth going for YEARS to come. I had the Roland Audio JV/XP CD Demo. I heard the Bass & Drums Demo on that disc and like you was not really impressed. It's not until I checked it out that it blew my socks off.

Check out patches like: "XPx30 - Acoustic Touch". That Acoustic Bass is too much on the side of having a real bass player. I've even fooled many bassists. They say "Who is that guy?". "XPx131 - DynoPiccoloSnare Kit" is good too". With the velocity split feature, you can get some convincing fills going on the snare.

Good luck man. The demo sucks, but when you check it out, you might just keep your XP/JV longer than you expected. Oh and BTW, get the Session board when you get a chance - No I don't work for Roland!. Good Luck.

The Infamous EPU.

#24773 - 05/29/00 06:44 AM Re: dRUMZ
Animaniac Offline

Thanks Epu, the Bass & drums expansion is my next stop then. Another question now:

Do you or anybody else use any kind of pre-programmed drum patterns? I need some help on that too, i 've got loads of patterns but i need something like the drag and drop drummer where you can easilly make a drum backing track in seconds. Quality is priority No1 of course so i need GOOD, USABLE patterns. If anyone is using anything particularly good for this kind of work i ll be glad to know what it is

Thanks all again.

#24774 - 06/02/00 02:50 PM Re: dRUMZ
Al_a_man Offline

>Do you or anybody else use any kind of pre->programmed drum patterns? I need some help >on that too, i 've got loads of patterns >but i need something like the drag and drop >drummer where you can easilly make a drum >backing track in seconds.

hi, me again (remember me?) hehe
Having a brother I've picked up a lot about drum patterns, and they are just that. They're very simple on the basis I use, which is two bar repetition. The first bar will be flat, the second will have an element of suncopation that could lead into a fill. I can then copy this while maintaining interest by the changing pattern, and drop fills in as and when required. I do however tend to come back and tweak at my development stage (after I've written a full piece). If it would help, I could throw together some short two bar phrases, and some fills, and mail them to ya. If you're interested...
Al

#24775 - 06/03/00 07:09 AM Re: dRUMZ
Animaniac Offline

Of course i am interested !

ae2@coventry.ac.uk

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online