SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#247700 - 11/08/08 01:43 PM Fantom G7 - UNREAL
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Picked up my spankin' new Fantom G7 Yesterday from Guitar Center and at the lowest Internet price quote. Read this tactic on some Roland Fantom forum site and decided to try it. I requested a quote from this outfit (don't know if I should name them on a public forum?) which was $600.00 less than the standard GC/ZZ Sounds/SameDayMusic advertised prices. I called GC, told them I had a quote and from who, and could they match it with a price that included GA's 7% sales tax. Jamal or Jabar or whoever answered the phone, said he'd check with his manager and get back to me. He called back in less than five minutes and said he could do the deal. I went over 30 minutes later, paid up, and picked up my factory sealed spanking new Fantom G7. They never even asked to see my quote. COULD THESE DAMN THINGS POSSIBLY BE THAT OVERPRICED? I may never buy from the Internet again. I haven't tried this price-match thing with any other store but GC certainly seems to honor it. Maybe I'm just benefiting from a bad economy, but I'll take it.

So far I know nothing. I had to play last night and babysit my grands this morning so I just got around to sitting it up for a listen. The damn thing is huge and heavy. The only first impression is that the black keys seem really skinny? Is it my imagination? No problem with fingering but it looks kinda weird.

OK, Diki, where are you? I may need to shell out for a round-trip plane ticket and all the sushi you can eat, to help me figure this thing out. THIS BOARD IS DEEP. I have to again thank Fran for turning me on to the Traynor K4. I hadn't prepared a place for it in my 'studio' so it's on a stand in the rec room where the K4 rests between gigs. I plugged it into what is normally the 'C1' organ channel (this channel has 'tube' and overdrive and is meatier than the other channels) with no tweaking and the sound is nothing short of amazing. I'm sorry, I love arranger keyboards and I've heard a couple of our members (mainly Diki) coax some excellent sounds out of boards like the G70, but when it comes to total palette of modern sounds, this thing is just in another league. I am very impressed. With my approach to learning a new board (study for 3 minutes, play for the next hour), it'll probably be six months before I scratch the surface of what it can do. If Diki is unavailable, I'll go for Gary or SqueakD .

I'll post something as soon as I am able to duplicate that demo that sucked me into buying it in the first place .

Now for the M50 .

chas

#247701 - 11/08/08 02:46 PM Re: Fantom G7 - UNREAL
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Chas,

Can I come over and play???

Did you hook up a mouse to it yet? I'm dying to try this beast out, but I just can't seem to get time to get to the music store.

Please give us a full review. How are those wonderful Roland Piano's???

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#247702 - 11/08/08 03:53 PM Re: Fantom G7 - UNREAL
cgiles Offline

Al, you're always welcome. I have only spent about 10 minutes with this beast so I know next to nothing. All I've done so far is listen to the two onboard demos and go through most the piano patches (in single mode). The pianos are, in a word, awesome. There are tons of them, probably enough of them that everyone would find one to suit their fancy, but the instant editing available, makes tweaking a breeze. I haven't even opened the owners manual yet, just the Quick Start Guide. The K4 seems to provide a near perfect amplification system for it. Clean, Phat, Soulful; with good acoustic instrument sounds (great pianos) and outstanding drums and synths. With the easy to use sampler, and many performance features, this should be a real blast for live use (once properly prepped) and a honey in the studio. But....wimps beware, this turkey is heavy. On the other hand, it should put you in a position to be able to hire a roadie in short order .

chas

#247703 - 11/08/08 04:14 PM Re: Fantom G7 - UNREAL
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
"But....wimps beware, this turkey is heavy. On the other hand, it should put you in a position to be able to hire a roadie in short order"

Hmm... heavy?? You call 36 lbs. 10 oz. heavy Chas? By the way, congratulations on your new Fantom G7.

>> Chas, the Fantom G's have areas on both ends where you can put your fingers and hands in and then lift it and move it around. Those "carrying" slots were made to make lifting it easier. Perhaps you might want to try using them next time when you decide to lift it up or move it around.

Best,
Mike

#247704 - 11/08/08 04:25 PM Re: Fantom G7 - UNREAL
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
FWIW, the Fantom G7 is the lightest workstation of the Big Three. Korg's M3 is the heaviest and it only has 73 keys.

Korg M3-73: 38.14 lbs (17.3 kg)

Yamaha Motif XS7 37.47 lbs (17.0 kg)

Best,
Mike

#247705 - 11/08/08 04:34 PM Re: Fantom G7 - UNREAL
cgiles Offline

Yeah, I noticed that as I was putting it on the stand (the slots). But that is the heaviest 37 lbs I've ever lifted. My C1 is 33 lbs and it feels a lot lighter. Must be psychological. BTW Mike, are you the other SZ'er with the Fantom G? If so, what's your assessment. For the moment, I'm even less than a novice. I haven't even gotten to the end of the quickstart manual yet, or hooked up a mouse. will any old mouse do? Gotta go find a good Fantom G forum, maybe buy those training DVD's, bump up the sampler memory (don't even know how to use the sampler yet), and isolate myself for a couple of days with the beast.

chas

#247706 - 11/08/08 06:23 PM Re: Fantom G7 - UNREAL
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
i dont care what weights the manufacturers are printing in their literature the Korg M73 is definately lighter than the Motif XS7. My brother had both keyboard in the same day and i took the XS out of the box and placed the M3 back in its box when taking it back.

#247707 - 11/08/08 11:01 PM Re: Fantom G7 - UNREAL
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Yeah... what would manufacturers know about the weight of their own products? It's not like they have to ship them around, or anything

Glad you like it, chas. I was as blown away as you by the pianos and e.pianos, and completely put off by the organs (don't tell me you LIKED them! )...

I look forward to hearing something from you soon...

BTW, I finished my parts on the whole smooth jazz thing today, so all we have to do is guitar and final sax, it should be ready soon. With permission from the artist, I'll excerpt a few up here when it's done! It'll be interesting to hear the forum's viewpoint...

And don't get me started about the 45 lb. G70. I trust Roland's specs, at least for weight! Just be glad it's still in the thirties, chas!

#247708 - 11/09/08 04:19 AM Re: Fantom G7 - UNREAL
cgiles Offline

Sadly, you're right about the organs. At first post, I'd only gone through the patch list to the Ac. Pianos and the El. Pianos. The organs are something of a disappointment, especially after having gone through all those great pianos. If it were my only board in a studio, I'd probably be looking at NI's B4, or something. The board is so deep (one thing I like about Roland and Korg) that I would be loathe to make any kind of assessment of it at this point. I haven't even loaded the included editor into a computer yet (I'll wait until I move it into the 'studio'. I have some serious 'shedding' ahead of me if I want to realize the full potential of this board (if you start getting too bored down there, come on up for a visit - warning, your general knowledge of roland products and recording, would be exploited ).

I'm starting to have second thoughts about the Korg M50. I wanted (I think) a lightweight second gig board to add a little variety to our sound (organ (C1), guitar, and drums). After listening to a number of demos and fooling around for about 30 minutes (yeah, I know) with an M3 in the GC in Atlanta, I'm not so sure that the M50 is the best choice. I'll probably continue to look.

Yeah, I hope you can post some of the new stuff. As much as we all love our arrangers (and they do serve an important purpose), they can never replace the subtleties and nuances of 'live' playing. Plus, the quality of your mixes deserve a shoutout. Right now I'm working on 'Manuto'. I may try to use the G7 for all but the organ voice (although right now it's starting to sound pretty good with just the SonicCell - we'll see). I'll send you a rough copy in a bit (I'm not happy with the organ solo (C1) at the moment; I need to get away from my over-perc'd Jimmy Smith go-to voice).

chas

[This message has been edited by cgiles (edited 11-09-2008).]

#247709 - 11/09/08 10:55 AM Re: Fantom G7 - UNREAL
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Uncle Dave and I both purchased G7's..fortunately we were able to sell them..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online