SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#247720 - 11/15/08 04:24 AM Re: Fantom G7 - UNREAL
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Thanks, Mike. Unless you're used to working with a workstation (as opposed to a straight 'synth') in the way it was intended, this instrument can be a little daunting. So many of the features that define it as a workstation have to do with it's song creation functions, specifically the sequencer. These features become less useful, or at the least, duplicitous, in a studio environment. Love the sampler, though. One interesting thing, the GM/GM2 voices seem to be exactly the same as on my SonicCell (and I mean EXACTLY). Also the SMF player seems to be better implemented on the SonicCell, as I get playback glitches (wrong instrument assignment) on the G7 that I don't get on the SonicCell. Probably something I'm doing.

I'm also having a little trouble getting my head around all the ways of using the PADS in performance, although I've figured out enough to know that they have some serious potential.

Things I love....the ease in which one can edit and create patches. The ease of creating, editing, and using, user samples. Mouse operation. Computer integration. Mixer. Sequencer.

Things that I think could be improved upon.....'bread and butter' sounds, especially organs. The way USB memory is implemented. The 'feel' or touch of the keybed - seems less dynamic than other Rolands I've owned. Maybe I just need to adjust the sensitivities (I haven't started the 'tweaking' process yet). Better user manual.

BTW, (Mike) do you use (or intend to use) yours 'live'? If so, how is that working out?

chas

#247721 - 11/15/08 10:24 AM Re: Fantom G7 - UNREAL
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
I was very surprised by the Pa2xpro's pianos which are much better IMHO than the M3??? Go figure?? The bread and butter sounds are very important to me as I'm sure they are with you, on any workstation purchase I make.
Al

Yamaha does the same thing..They put their best voices in the Arrangers first, then they trickle down to the workstations. I guess It sort of justifies the higher price for the Arrangers as well as the completed styles over 6000 Phrases and Arps to muddle through to put together an Arrangement.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#247722 - 11/15/08 03:00 PM Re: Fantom G7 - UNREAL
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
Shame they don't put their best drums in the arrangers, though...

IMO, the MoXS completely trounces the Tyros in this critical area... You would think, as the WS benefits from SA2 technology, developed for T2 first, that some of the 'trickle' could head in the other direction too, but it appears to be a one way street.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online