SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#24871 - 05/17/02 03:18 PM Unwanted Layered Playback
bluesboy2003 Offline

Loc: Athens, GA, USA
Hi guys,
I hope some of my buds are still here: Rory, Stillme, Stalker, Stiggy, give a shout out if you still occasionally haunt these boards.
Anyways, I have a baffling problem that I've encountered on my XP-60. I modified a Performance that was a layered performance so that it accessed other patches. I then changed the performance mode to SINGLE. I double checked, making sure only one patch played at a time, to confirm it was in SINGLE mode. When I went to record in the sequencer, I selected a patch, set up the tempo, quantization, etc. so that everything was good to go. I selected a track to record to, selected my patch (a conga) from the performance, and proceeded to record. All went well, except when I rewound and played back what I had recorded, instead of hearing just the conga, I heard several of my instruments playing back at the exact same note that I played the conga at, despite the fact that I had set the performance mode to SINGLE and had only heard one patch playing as I recorded. I searched for a while trying to figure out what was going wrong but to no avail. No matter what instrument I recorded with, all would play back simultaneously (ARGH!)
I gave up and decided to try something different. I selected a performance that was preset to SINGLE mode, and then switched out the patches for my patches. What I wound up with was another performance that looks exactly like the first performance. However, when I recorded with this one, it played back properly. WHAT THE HECK!? I just don't understand it. Is this a glitch in the XP series? Must you always start with a SINGLE performance if you intend to have a user performance that records and plays back to SINGLE, or was there some setting that I missed on my first attempt to create a performance?
Thanks for any help or suggestions.

#24872 - 05/18/02 04:00 PM Re: Unwanted Layered Playback
dnarkosis Offline

Loc: usa
Your performance may be defaulting back to layer because of something in your sequence.

Do your original test (i.e., with the performance you have changed to single), and after the sequence plays, check to see if your performance is still set to single.

If it has defaulted back to layer, something in your sequence (e.g., a performance program change message) is telling the synth to go back to that original performance. Unless it has been saved to a user location, it will always default to its original state.

Also: try saving the performance as a single, then playing the sequence back so it can't default back to a layer.

There are other possibilities, but check these first.

Good luck

#24873 - 05/19/02 11:36 PM Re: Unwanted Layered Playback
bluesboy2003 Offline

dnark: What's up man!? Good to see you.

As for the performance, it was saved in a USER slot as a SINGLE before I even started recording. It didn't reset to LAYER because that was the first thing I checked for. Maybe it was some random hiccup?

#24874 - 05/20/02 11:12 AM Re: Unwanted Layered Playback
dnarkosis Offline

Loc: usa
Then it sounds like some MIDI channels are set wrong. Can you describe your setup in a little more detail? Also, you said your patch was a conga. Was it from an expanasion board percussion menu? or from a regular drum kit on channel 10? What *else* is playing when you play your conga part? Another *patch* on another channel or another rhythm instrument on channel 10?

Go into microscope mode and look at the MIDI (note) events and see which channel they are assigned, then check *all* your performance part channel assignments and see which parts are actually assigned that particular channel.

#24875 - 05/21/02 04:41 PM Re: Unwanted Layered Playback
bluesboy2003 Offline

"you said your patch was a conga. Was it from an expanasion board percussion menu? or from a regular drum kit on channel 10?"

I took the waveform of the instrument that I found in the internal XP memory, slapped it in a patch and modified the patch parameters to my liking. I then assigned this patch to part 1 of the user performance. It wasn't in part 10, rhythm part, of the performance.

"What *else* is playing when you play your conga part? Another *patch* on another channel or another rhythm instrument on channel 10?"

It's another part, or patch, if you will. The bass, which is on part 2 and another instrument which I do not recall at the moment.

Unfortunately I wrote over this performance with another version that worked (the one that I started off in an already-set SINGLE performance). However, I think you were on the right track with checking the MIDI channels; in fact, I'd bet money on it. Next time I encounter this problem, that is the first place I'm heading. Thanks so much for the suggestion and your help Dnark!

#24876 - 06/07/02 08:29 PM Re: Unwanted Layered Playback
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
Hi Bluesboy, Rory still hangs around here. I've been away for around a month though; first due to the hacking going on, and also because I've been gone a lot. I jus got back yesterday from almost 3 solid weeks in studio. I've been working hard on my 2nd CD. We're doing a fairly major radio promo of the first single. It's called "I Should Be Fishin'". It's going to some 1500 radio stations that accept independent artists, plust around 300 European stations.

I finally picked up a Larrivee acoustic for myself. It is a sweeeeet guitar. I was in Nashville a couple months ago, and played several guitars of many manufacturers. The Larrivee won handily as far as the quality of guitar for the price range. I would have had to pay around $1000 more for a comparable Martin, and even more for a similar quality Gibson.

Anyway, sorry to everyone else for throwing off the topic.

#24877 - 06/10/02 07:40 PM Re: Unwanted Layered Playback
bluesboy2003 Offline

Rory! You're back!

It sounds like you have been very busy, but that's a great thing! I think that's incredible that you could spend so much time in a real recording studio.

A new acoustic guitar? That's great, Rory! I told you about those Larivees! I was absolutely stunned at the sound of them when a neighbor allowed me to come over and play his for an hour. Speaking of new guitars, I've been saving my money up to build my own Stratocaster. I'm very excited about the project, and I hope to start some time late this summer. I have spent the past nine months researching it, and I think I have almost everything located. It should have a really sweet, sweet tone. I'm trying to put together something that will be in the Eric Johnson vain of a strat. E J is my musical hero, so I'd love to get something that will help me find a similar voice, guitar-wise. Beyond that, I've been trying to get some piano chops by learning Eric Johnson's "Song for Lynnette" which is on his Venus Isle album. It's a very beautiful ballad, on which Johnson plays the piano.

Despite the fact that almost all my summer job money must be saved up for the expense of building my future strat, I'm still wondering when I can get a hold of one of your CDs. Please let me know when you finish up your album because you've got one eager listener here who would love to hear it!

My first sequence on the XP-60 is going well so far but it sure takes a long time for me to program. I'm trying to learn how to fade in a part. Anyways, the track I'm making is the main theme to a videogame called The Secret of Mana. It is a really inspiring song and I thought, why not try to cut my teeth on patch creation and sequencing by remaking the song. As soon as I have it finished I will post a link to it on here. I don't know when that will be, but hopefully it will be soon! Anyways, I hope to hear from you soon again, Rory!

#24878 - 06/10/02 07:43 PM Re: Unwanted Layered Playback
bluesboy2003 Offline

Oh, I almost forgot. Make sure you send a copy of your CD to WUOG. It's the radio station of my college, the University of Georgia. Also, don't forget about PRI -- Public Radio International. They always seem to have great stuff playing on that.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online