SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#248798 - 11/20/08 06:53 PM E-80 SRX -07?
Murrmeister Offline

Hi,
I've got an E80 and RD700GX... the E80 VK Drawbar engine sounds a bit thin along side the RD700GX b3 organ stops.... does anyone use the SRX-07 Ultimate Keys board on the E80 that might be able to comment on the sound quality?

BTW I run both boards through a pair of KC350s running in stereo.

Thanks
Murray

#248799 - 11/21/08 12:36 AM Re: E-80 SRX -07?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Much discussed both here and on the Roland Arranger forum.

The Hammond patches on the SRX-07 are the best I've ever heard, and a step-up in quality from the on-board patches and drawbars.

#248800 - 11/21/08 05:34 AM Re: E-80 SRX -07?
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Ditto to what Seamaster said. I just received mine yesterday and am very pleased. Of the 475 waveforms, 79 are new organs. I auditioned them yesterday and liked them all, but chose to edit the rotor in some on high speed. It is a simple matter, on the G70, to change woofer and tweeter speeds. Just a personal preference thing. Many good bass,synth,and strings,also. I have just begun to explore the card, but so far it is well worth the money.

#248801 - 11/21/08 09:13 AM Re: E-80 SRX -07?
Murrmeister Offline

Thanks for your responses.... I was wondering how the leslie effect works on the SRX-07... are they sampled sounds of a B running through a leslie or does the E-80 process the leslie effect?
Thanks
MUrrmeister

#248802 - 11/21/08 11:25 AM Re: E-80 SRX -07?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
From what I gather, most of the SRX-07 organ patches have the Leslie sampled into them, so you can't get the ramp up or down effect, just switching.

And, of course, if you run a slow Leslie'd sound through the Leslie sim in the MFX section, it sounds VERY weird...

I think most of tis comes from the fact that Roland had a VERY poor Leslie and scanner vib/ch sim up until recently, so they just sampled it instead. Trouble is, now they have the VK sim in most of their products, but the Hammond samples aren't straight, direct output ones...

Anyway, you want correct percussion behavior, you can't use samples... that triggering system just doesn't work right. You get the multiple trigger T-type sound, which AIN'T rock and roll, my friends!

To be honest, you CAN get the E80 Hammond beefed up a little... you just have to abandon your B3 drawbar settings, and do it by ear... That 5 1/3 is a little frisky compared with the B, and you have to remember that, if you have given your E80's Mastering EQ a bit of 'smile', it's going to brighten up the VK section too... I find it better (but more work) to just put 'smile' or any high band boosting on ONLY the sound that really needs it with the per-part EQ, and just boost up the low end a bit (which will help fatten up the VK section) with the Mastering EQ.

Don't forget about the leakage and distortion parameters, which can help dirty up that pristine sound a bit too...

If you are THAT much of a B3 fan, sadly, no sampled B is going to make you happy, much. It just sounds WRONG...

#248803 - 11/21/08 12:59 PM Re: E-80 SRX -07?
Bernie9 Offline

Diki
I see, however, that all organ patches run through the rotor MFX. when you select a patch that is on slow, and you hit the mod wheel, it changes to fast in the MFX edit screen. This would indicate to me that the MFX "Rotor" has control. Hence, when I make adjustments there, it seems to be straightforward with no wierd effects. I have noticed the percussion improved over stock sounds.

#248804 - 11/21/08 01:28 PM Re: E-80 SRX -07?
Diki Offline

Kill the MFX, and see if the Tone is dead straight, or already has sampled Leslie on it...

The SRX-07 was derived primarily from earlier cards for the JV series, prior to the VK Leslie sim (the other one is not that good, IMO). From what I've heard, most of the patches were sampled Leslie...

One of my primary objections to the GW-8 (and to be honest, the FantomG too) was that most of the organ patches were slow Leslie'd samples run through the MFX. It's a totally different sound to running an un-Leslied sample through the Leslie. Stacked Leslies just don't sound right, to me at least...

Not to mention that with a REAL Leslie (or a Leslie sim) ALL of the notes are being thrown around at the same time (they are all run through the same spinning rotor), whereas a sampled Leslie, each note is running through a different horn position, at a different rate (sample transposition changes the speed of the horn) and it is, at least to my ears, utterly different in sound (and not in a pleasant way).

Plus, of course, it's the ramp up and down that is like the use of vibrato in a great singer... WHEN and how much you put on and when you take it back off again has much to do with the individual personality of the player...

It's like that old joke... "What does a German organist do during the most passionate, delicate moment of his entire show...? He finally hits 'SLOW' on the Leslie!"

#248805 - 11/21/08 02:25 PM Re: E-80 SRX -07?
Bernie9 Offline

Diki
As usual, you have imparted some great information,thanks. I can only tell you that they musst be VK, as the MFX kills everthing ,and the MFX rotor is used on the majority of the organ patches,with the exception of the retro JV patches.

You may have explained why I edited a few due to the disjointed effect of the slow woofer an the spinning tweeter. Yes, I know that is what a Leslie does, but the incongruous effect on a few, made me adjust them.

On the other hand, in AB ing the stock Hammond patches and the SRX samples, there is a vast improvement. One example is the Leslie drum is now present along with the horns. This goes a long way in improving the realism, at least to my ears. It isn't your Nord 3, but it ain't bad at all.

#248806 - 11/21/08 02:32 PM Re: E-80 SRX -07?
Bernie9 Offline

Diki
One question about left hand Speed control. I,e.g.,use two SRX patches and the MFX (via Mod wheel) controls UP1. Is there a way to control LP1 ?

#248807 - 11/21/08 04:03 PM Re: E-80 SRX -07?
Diki Offline

There's only the one MFX (on a G70)... if the LWR and UP1 are assigned to it, it's the same control, because it's the same FX.

There is no FX on the SRX card... simply Tones (samples). They use the same FX (the send reverb and chorus) and MFX (insert effect) that all the Keyboard Tones do.

If you connect Direct Outs with audio Ins, you can add one more insert MFX (called the IFX) to any part/s, either Style, Song or SMF. http://roland-arranger.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=77&Itemid=56

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online