SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#24883 - 03/11/00 01:27 PM Booster problem
Pierry Offline

Loc: Holland
Yeah,
Sometimes I think the whole synthworld is just to complicated for me. After all I'm just an ordinary guy in an ordinary town...

Well enough of this.

I have some problems with my JV2080 and I just can't figure out whether it's malfunctioning or I maybe I just don't understand the machine...

When I try to combine two waveforms with a booster (structure page) the manual says it should be controlled by the TVA of the first tone. When I adjust TVA settings of the first tone, it just doesn't change the sound in any way while if I adjust TVA settings of the second tone, it makes a great deal of difference.

Secondly, I don't understand the manual which says that the booster could also be used as an LFO. Yeah right, no explaination.
When do I use this device just as a booster and when as a LFO ???

I'm getting a little angry with those Roland guys, but maybe you could help me out...

That would be an enormous enhancement to my ordinary life...

#24884 - 03/16/00 09:04 AM Re: Booster problem
Pierry Offline

No one uses a JV around here?

#24885 - 03/16/00 12:05 PM Re: Booster problem
stigf Offline

Loc: Tromsų, Norway
I have never heard about using the booster as an LFO. I suspect that to be an error in the manual. I don't think the XP-60 manual says anything about that. As far as I know, the only thing you can adjust on the booster, is how much overdrive you want..

When it comes to the TVA-settings, I am not sure. Which structure are you using (number)?

Stig

#24886 - 03/16/00 12:54 PM Re: Booster problem
Mgomes Offline

Loc: Sćo Paulo (SP)/Brazil
From the JV1010 Reference Manual:
"The Booster is used to distort the incoming signal.
You can also create a PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) like effect by using a Tone's waveform (WG1) as an LFO to shift the other Tone's waveform (WG2) up and down. This parameter works best when you use it in conjunction with the Gain parameter (PATCH/WG/Wave Param)."
What Roland is trying to say?

Mgomes

#24887 - 03/18/00 04:19 AM Re: Booster problem
Pierry Offline

Exactly Mgomes! That's what I mean!
What is Roland trying to say?
It's pretty vague indeed...
I've examined some sounds like: PWM strings
(that happens to be the name of one of the presets) But I can't figure out the differnce between this and the 'normal' use of a booster.

stigf: I used structure type 3. But I have noticed it's not much different with the other types that use a booster.
Type 3 uses the booster after routing the sound through TVA1 and the manual says TVA1 should have some result on the sound, but it doesn't

#24888 - 03/22/00 11:24 AM Re: Booster problem
Pierry Offline

I sometimes think Roland is saying things that they don't even put into their synth's.
Accidentally?

#24889 - 03/23/00 03:03 AM Re: Booster problem
stigf Offline

Loc: Tromsų, Norway
I think all synth manyfacturers "stretch" the specs of their instruments a little in their advertising. But I think Roland does this less than som other manufacturers.

Besides, I think the biggest problem here is the manual. We just don't understand what Roland is trying to say. I can't remember any of these "statements" about boosters in my XP-60 manual. I never got the impression that they could be controlled in this way.

Stig

#24890 - 03/24/00 06:07 AM Re: Booster problem
Pierry Offline

I already sent an e-mail to the roland company in my country with these questions but so far, no reply...

#24891 - 03/30/00 11:59 AM Re: Booster problem
Pierry Offline

I figured out something that might be worth mentioning here:

When you use a booster I discovered that when I take a longer attack in TVF of tone 2, it makes some sort of flying sound like an LFO. But this is only once, not periodicly like a real LFO.

Could this be meant by: PWM?

It still doesn't make sense that TVA1 does noet have effect on the sound.

#24892 - 04/07/00 12:08 AM Re: Booster problem
bertol Offline

Loc: Campinas, SP, Brazil
Hello friend, greatings from Brazil.

Do you know an old synth by Roland called D70 ? It have a structure named DLM, that doesn't work which its designed.

I think that you have 2 problems, the manual and what are the result that you spect...

I'll receive my XP80 in the next week, and shall to undestand the structures and the boost. Then I'll contact you.

Just wait...

Believe me we don't have just bananas.

Sorry about my bad English language.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online