SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#25190 - 07/02/00 07:39 AM Please help me - purchase decision!!
Marcelo Offline

Loc: Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Hi,

I'm looking for a keyboard to play with rythims (stylus) and midi files (I'll play alone).
The sellers told me to buy a Yamaha PSR 640 or 730, but when I heard a Roland - what a difference!!
My question is: What are the Roland's models that have stylus, this great voices, receive midi files and have almost the same price of a yamaha (about $1000,00)???

If a keyboard that doesn't have many stylus can I use styles from a midi file via foppy disks?? (i.e. programming in a computer my own stylus and playing in this keyboard via midi files)??

Thanks a lot,

Marcelo

#25191 - 07/02/00 08:26 PM Re: Please help me - purchase decision!!
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
In the "arranger world" $1000 is cheap. Unfortunatly, I can't think of a Roland in that price range. If you want a cheap one, then get the PSR740......or a Casio something-or-other in that range. It's a shame that a "grand" AIN'T so grand in the synth world!

------------------
Uncle Dave

#25192 - 07/06/00 03:52 PM Re: Please help me - purchase decision!!
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
Hello,

Well, if you are planning to spend a grand, PSR740 is an excellent choice. It allows you to get styles from other sources, program your own style and save them on a disk.

However, you said that you liked Roland better. Well, which one did you hear?

Have you tried other keyboards as well?

What kind of music do you play? What are your favorite instruments?

#25193 - 07/07/00 05:55 AM Re: Please help me - purchase decision!!
Marcelo Offline

Loc: Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Men! Can you belive that I forgot what model was. I'll go back to the store and check it.

I've seen many keyboards. I saw a Technics model KN 1400, is very good, this model is really user frendly and the sounds are very good, but costs around $200,00 more than Yamaha PSR 740. Another, was Yamaha PSR 640 that is almsot like PSR 740, but has 32 of poliphony instead of 64 and costs $200,00 less than PSR740.
Another was PSR 730 that is the old 740 with less voices, rythims and is not so user frendly and costs the same as PSR 640.
So, I'm concluding that if Roland has no model at this range of price I'll dicide between PSR 740, 640 or 730.
What do you think about it?
As I'll play alone , do you think that 64 of poliphony is too important? People really use 64 of poliphony?

I play many kind of musics but mostly I'll use to play jazz and rock.

I've been playing piano for 10 years, so my favorite instrument is the piano. I also like the guitar (accustic and overload).

Thanks a lot,

Marcelo

#25194 - 07/07/00 07:44 AM Re: Please help me - purchase decision!!
digiboy Offline

Polyphony is important for two things - sequence playback if you are going to be playing lots of notes at once, AND/OR using voices that have a long decay like a glass harp or something like that. Piano and guitar don't usually cause problems, though, unless you are holding down a sustain pedal.

Polyphony is also important if you can do multi-timbral and are sequencing multiple instruments simultaneously.

I recommend you outline what you want to do with your purchase and make certain that you are getting what you want. Don't worry about older models or features you won't use. Buy what will let you express yourself. (Gawd, I sound like Madonna, now!) If you buy something that limits your creativity, you will have buyers remorse and your synth will be nothing more than a big doorstop.

[This message has been edited by digiboy (edited 07-07-2000).]

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online