SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#25308 - 05/16/00 03:45 PM Re: XV or not XV ???
Nate_Straight Offline

I'll ask here since this is a XV forum, not general discussion. I just looked at the specs for the XV's piano plugin board. It looks great with 64Mb of memory devoted entirely to pianos.... one question though. It says all samples were taken from one piano... does this mean all the patches will sound basically the same since they are, after all, from the same piano? Or can Roland really digitally edit them to sound different? Also, does anyone know if there are any E. Pianos, Harpsichords or Clavinets on this board.

#25309 - 05/16/00 03:50 PM Re: XV or not XV ???
Heyoop Offline

Is this XV 64meg piano will sound much better than Yamaha's 30meg sample that they use for their midigrand? I love the sound of the midigrand. The same one that the Eagles used in their concert.

#25310 - 05/16/00 04:38 PM Re: XV or not XV ???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Inray, as you own a XV5080, you could clear up some missunderstandings:
Are there more than 1 simult. MFX-sections in performance mode? And how is the EQ used, that is only featured on the 5080? Does every Patch in Perf Mode have its own EQ (like the JD-series)?
The answers would be very important!

#25311 - 05/17/00 04:33 AM Re: XV or not XV ???
Inray Offline

Loc: GREECE
Hello forum friends...
The new SRX-02 Piano expansion card contains multisamples taken from an excellent and rare piano. These samples have been digitally edited by Roland to have natural feel, feedback, sound detuning across keys, realistic wood random harmonics and in general is one of the best piano digital reproduction. I've made some digital studio recording using it and compared the result with Yamaha S80 + PLGPF, Kurzweil 2600, Korg SG-PRO/X and studio's Steinway. All these keyboards and pianos also recorded using the same digital gear and using dry sound and no external or internal FX or compression. My results were that Roland SRX is excellent and in par with Kurz 2600 but somewhat more metalic than Steinway
Listening the master two famous in my country pro piano players could not understand what is sampled and what not. That's a good sign. Unfortunately i have not Yamaha midigrand to compare it with the rest.

The EQ in 5080 work on per output basis so if you route your sound on different outputs you can have different EQ settings. The whole EQ works as an FFT algorithm on output DSPs so its quality is far better than those work on OSC/FLT DSPs.

On 5080 there are three M-FX (1-3) sections just like 2080 and the same FX routing. But when you use some combinations (like COSM) there are some limits due to DSP overload. In general you must think the 5080 as a far better sounding 2080 plus new COSM MFXs that are just algorithms but unfortunately need much of CPU power. BTW there are not exist any "clicks" or delays on FX processing and the s/n ratio is excellent, better than 2080 or anything else. Also the legent FX algorithms like reverb and delays are all new and they have more realistic feel than older ones on 2080. The 24bit D/A helps here.

PS: By the way i live in Greece so forgive me if i make some mistakes English is not my main language.

Cheers...

[This message has been edited by Inray (edited 05-17-2000).]

#25312 - 05/17/00 02:24 PM Re: XV or not XV ???
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
This is an interesting discussion.

In order to evaluate the piano sound in the xv-series, you have to compare it with Yamaha P80. Almost every musician who listened to P80 was impressed. I am waiting for a person who will compare both sounds.

#25313 - 05/17/00 05:04 PM Re: XV or not XV ???
Inray Offline

Loc: GREECE
sk880user hi...
You're right. That would be nice comparing XV piano and P80. I really like P80 sound and i believe that it's near authentic piano. Unfortunately i didn't found one for a test side by side with an XV. Anyway SRX02 piano board has excellent sound and i would like to see that sound and SRX01 drums not on plugins but onboard on Roland's future gear...

#25314 - 05/17/00 07:31 PM Re: XV or not XV ???
JLawrence Offline

Loc: Texarkana, TX USA
Hi folks...I'm notorious for not being right on topic, so forgive me. But I hear so many people raving about Kurzweil's pianos, but I had a PC-88mx for awhile, but I hated the pianos! I'd much rather have a JV-1010 piano than Kurzweil piano. I'm I crazy for thinking this? Also, for those who swear by the Kurzweil pianos, do you like the the XV better?
Thanks all...love your comments!
Josh

#25315 - 05/17/00 07:38 PM Re: XV or not XV ???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello everybody
I'm new in this forum and i want to thank Inray and others for the valueable info on new Rolands. Inray you're my man
I was ready to buy S-80 but after reading your comments i finally bought XV88 and i'm very very very happy. In one word:
EXCELLENT KEYBOARD

Many many thanks to everybody here...

#25316 - 05/20/00 03:50 PM Re: XV or not XV ???
Cosmic Dreamer Offline

Loc: Hasselt, Limburg, Belgium
Hello,

I also posted this question in another forum on synthworld,..

THis question is for the XV5080 owner.. Well other than the fact you'r lucky,... could you tell how you have one so early?

I run an XV5080 site with general needtoknow information, yet everyone tells me the device isn't out untill july....

Was there a first production already that made it to select stores?

Greets

CD

#25317 - 05/20/00 03:55 PM Re: XV or not XV ???
Cosmic Dreamer Offline

Loc: Hasselt, Limburg, Belgium
On the SRX cards: WOuldn't it be extra cool if roland came up with an enhanced vintage synth card, with lots of "lore" kind of effects, and creamy synth pads..

That, and a card entirely dedicated to accoustical breakbeats would be real cool

greets

CD

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online