SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#253270 - 01/10/09 01:38 PM Solution for H2 problem
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
http://www.audio-discounters.com/vc-20.html

The H2 has one problem that drives me crazy... Although there is gain control for the mikes, and compressors, etc., the line in has NO gain control. You can turn down the recording level, but this is POST A/D converters, so if the signal clips, turning this down simply results in a lower level clipped signal

But this handy, dandy, very cheap device will allow you to attenuate the line in signal (if you can't from the mixer - most are dependent on the final output of the mains, so you can't turn down the RCA outs without turning down the PA!) BEFORE it hits the A/D converters.

I encourage ALL H2 users (and H4, and possibly many other of these devices) to have one of these in your toolkit...

#253271 - 01/10/09 02:22 PM Re: Solution for H2 problem
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Eventhough the manual does say to attenuate the line-in recording by adjusting the leval of the exterior component, and your tip is a good way of doing it(I have one), I was wondering if the AGC/comp/limiter mitigates the level,also. I know it does for live(mic) recording.

#253272 - 01/10/09 05:08 PM Re: Solution for H2 problem
Diki Offline

No, all that stuff is for the mikes. Plus, on the whole, I don't really like using the AGC or comps for recordings. they just pump and breathe just a bit too much for my tastes...

Use 24 bit recording, and you can record at VERY low levels without losing any detail in the quietest passages. I rarely like to set my levels so even the VERY loudest part hits -6db. Track lower than that, then normalize afterwards.

I think I read somewhere that a 24 bit recording at -22db peaks gives roughly the SAME dynamic range as a 16 bit recording at Odb peaks (tough to do without overs! ) so you can be very conservative in your level setting, and avoid ANY overload possibility, and still exceed 16 bit's theoretical range.

When recording live, it's my goto bit depth. Then I NEVER have overs...

#253273 - 01/10/09 10:05 PM Re: Solution for H2 problem
Musicman22 Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, Fl.
Diki

I also use the H2.
I've been using it to record my gigs using my 3K.
The setting I've been using is MP3 320Kbps coming out of the headphones jack into the H3 and it sounds good.
I tried coming out of the Aux Output, but the level is fixed and it was total distortion in the H2.
Is there a better way to record like maybe as a Wav file?

#253274 - 01/11/09 05:49 PM Re: Solution for H2 problem
Diki Offline

A lot depends on what you intend to do with the file...

If you intend to process the file afterwards, even simple normalization, but especially compression, EQ and limiting (the usual chain to get a 'pro' sheen and level on it), it's better to record as a 24 bit .wav file. I don't think it is worth higher sample rates (48k or 96k) because you are going to have to sample rate convert to 44.1 for a CD or MP3 anyway, but the extra dynamic range and resolution of 24 bit is good for making a better master...

The main thing about going with a .wav for post-pre mastering is that most programs that work with mp3's really convert the file into a .wav (often in the background, so you don't know about it) where you do the EQ etc, then it converts it BACK to an mp3. Encoding mp3's is a lossy process (a little bit of detail and sound is lost in the process), so the fewer times you do it, the better.

My general system is to record at 24/44 .wav, master a bit afterwards, then either convert to 16/44 .wav for burning an audio CD, or convert to mp3 as the LAST step.

However, if the recording is simply for your own use, as a confidence check on what you are playing, even a 192 or 256 kbps mp3 will suffice to give you a pretty good replay of what you just did. No point with all that other stuff if it just for yourself...

But the aux out on the 3K is probably overloading the input of the H2. This is where putting this little volume control in-line will allow you to lower the level to the point where it doesn't. And theoretically (I haven't tested a Yamaha) the aux output should be a tad cleaner than the headphone output...

Hope this helps.

#253275 - 01/11/09 07:17 PM Re: Solution for H2 problem
Musicman22 Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, Fl.
Yes, it helps allot.

I'm just doing this to check myself. Not planning on going to CD or mastering.
I'll try recording at 192 or 256 and I'll also try the Aux Out lowering the input gain.

Thanks

#253276 - 01/11/09 09:54 PM Re: Solution for H2 problem
Diki Offline

Unless you are running out of room on a small SD card (I've got a 4GB card in my H2), sure, record at the highest mp3 rate you want... but then again, if it's just for you and you aren't running out of room, you might as well record at the highest practical resolution you can get.

I'd still go 24/44 .wav. No encoding artifacts at ALL...

Just remember, lowering the input gain control in the H2 is NOT turning down the input at the A/D converters. You really HAVE to lower the strength of the signal coming into the H2 at the source. I didn't know the aux out on the 3K was variable... (but don't know that much about it!).

But in general, you'll get your best s/n ratio with your outputs turned to maybe 75% or so (it varies with the quality of the gear) and then attenuate your input to the H2. Clean is clean, though... if you can't HEAR any distortion, why worry about it?

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online