SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#25363 - 12/20/04 04:19 PM XV-5050 Polphony Questions
mark4man Offline

OK...

After a long (& very disappointing) excursion into the world of software samplers (which is an excruciatingly long story)…I'm about to take the plunge & hopefully upgrade to the XV-5050 (& could use a bit more help from RW & others.)

(BTW - RW, Thanks for the help in my last post.)

Now, I understand the polyphony is 64 voices; & in reading a review on the 5050 in an old edition of S.O.S. magazine, the reviewer states that...with stereo 4-voice per note architecture, those 64 voices can run out rather rapidly.

So, my first question is: say for example I'm playing a stereo piano MIDI track (out of the DAW, thru the 5050 & back into an adjacent audio track)...with full chordings; & embellishments & riffs in between. If I have more than 8 notes overlapping at any given point in time...I run out of voices; & go into a state of voice stealing?

How does that work? The stereo 4-tone architecture is related to layering? Or velocity split points? (or both)? The reviewer from S.O.S. magazine seems to suggest that twice as many voices are used automatically...due to the improved 4 voice architecture (or due to true stereo waveforms...who knows?) The information at the Roland site claims 4 stereo tones "per patch". So if it's true that more polphony is used up automatically...why would Roland manufacture a synth module so limited in voicings, as related to it's own architecture?

I just want to make sure I don't run out of notes on a piano track which has lots going on. And besides that...if I've maxed out the polophony with one patch, that means I can't play other instruments on another channel at the same time, correct?

2nd quick question: Who mfg.'s the D/A converters in the 5050. Is it AKM? If so, are they a typical model (e.g. AK4393)? Is the digital out 16/44.1? 24/96?

Thanks very much,

mark4man

#25364 - 12/21/04 05:35 PM Re: XV-5050 Polphony Questions
mark4man Offline

Follow up...

Got it !

One more question; & then I'll bug off.

Everything sounds better out of the 5050 (piano, keys, synths, horns, atmospherics, FX, etc.)

Everything except for drums, that is. The drums kinda' rot.

Then I remembered, many of the drum patches on the JV-1010 were from the "Session" series...top-flite stuff.

One of the salesdudes at Guitar Center last nite (when I was picking it up) said he understood that Roland had group packaged several JV-SR80 boards into single SRX boards.

Is that true?

Even if not...I'd really like to be able to obtain those Session drum patches (& the brass, as well) for the 5050, so I don't have to keep swapping synth modules during recording.

Am I off to ebay? ('cause I don't see any JV board re-issues at the Roland site...unless I missed 'em.)

Thanks again,

mark4man

#25365 - 12/22/04 11:24 AM Re: XV-5050 Polphony Questions
RW Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Hi mark4man.
Yes the SRX boards are made up of the wave forms from several SR-JV90 boards. For example. I did own the SRX-07. Here's a cut from the Planet-Grooves website

The SRX-07 Ultimate Keys Wave Expansion Board offers a massive collection of keyboard sounds and loops. This 64MB card contains all the waveforms from Roland’s popular SR-JV80-04 “Vintage Synth,” SR-JV80-08 “Keyboards of the ‘60s & ‘70s” and SR-JV80-10 “Bass & Drums,” plus selected waves from SR-JV80-09 “Session” and SR-JV80-03 “Piano.” With approximately 300 all-new Patches and 10 Rhythm Sets, the SRX-07 covers all the bases including some tasty loops.

There may be patch listing or waveform listing somewhere on the web so you can see if the exact drum waveform your looking for is on the SRX-07 board. I've heard pretty good reviews on the SR-JV80-10 Bass and Drums, which would mean the SRX-07 would have those sounds.

I bought mine SRX-07 from kraftmusic.com. I had to wait until they had it in stock. The wait was about 2 weeks. And they had the best price I could find, about 200 bucks. Which can be cheaper than buying 3 SR-JV-80 boards used on ebay.

Best wishes dude.
Bob
<><

#25366 - 12/23/04 04:13 PM Re: XV-5050 Polphony Questions
mark4man Offline

RW,

Thanks very much. You've been very helpful; & it's appreciated. I like the SRX-07 (& the SRX-03); & I will do a patch comparison to the 1010...

...but I was thinking...

...Since I now own both the Roland JV-1010 & the XV-5050...

...is it possible to transfer a 1010 patch to the 5050?

Reason I ask is...I understand that a patch is primarily made up of parameter settings which tweak ROM waveforms to acheive a specific sound. So...if by chance the 5050 has some of the same drum waveforms as the 1010, why couldn't I transfer the 1010's drum patches to the 5050 via SysEx (or some other method)?

Thanks again,

mark4man

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online