SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#25590 - 09/11/00 12:29 PM XV-5080 and Number of Samples
fvicente Offline

Loc: Port Moody, BC, Canada
This question goes out to anyone who knows or currently owns the XV-5080. I am considering selling my JV-2080 and buying the XV-5080 to replace it. A big part of it is that I used to own a S-760 and sold it to get a more expandable sampler. With the 5080 allowing 128 MB of RAM and 128-note polyphony it looks like quite a beast.

I recently heard from a friend who bought one and he told me that it will accept a maximum of 128 samples. Is this true? When loading up orchestral and acoustic instruments it's easy to run out of RAM before you run out of sample address space. However, if you load up a multi-sampled velocity-switched drum set, it is quite easy to hit this limitation.

Anyone know? If is true, then this is quite disappointing as most modern samplers today allow for as much as 999 samples (if you don't run out of memory). I'm talking samples themselves here and not the RAM required to store them.

Thanks in advance.

Fernando

#25591 - 09/12/00 02:37 PM Re: XV-5080 and Number of Samples
Cosmic Dreamer Offline

Loc: Hasselt, Limburg, Belgium
Hello,

I'd like to help you out of your dream by saying that I looked things up for you, and i've loaded a fair amoint of samples from an AKAI cd rom of mine into memory. I have 128 mb ram,. when I finished loading (and thought it was enough to proove my point) I saw that i had 14 mb of 128mb left to use (so most was used).. THen I went to see into the partial mode where i saw 311 samples loaded (so that crashes the 128 samples barrier no?).. Then, I was able to rotate trough and trough and trough (all empty sample places) and i came up to 8192 (!)..

Lat's go load multikeymapped/velocity partials now ...

You have to understand that the XV-5080 actually has 2 different patch modes, 4tone mode and partial mode (wich is optimized to be the s760/akai catalyst.. Thought I once wass loading tons of wave files into my 4tone patch mode and it all worked correctly, my memory was all used and I thought I had over 210 samples loaded..

You might go over to your friend and find out what he means with "loading 128" sample.. THere are some smart mediacard limitations, but it's not really noticable..

cd

#25592 - 09/12/00 08:45 PM Re: XV-5080 and Number of Samples
fvicente Offline

Hi CD,

Thank you for looking into this. I'm considering selling my JV-2080 and upgrading to the XV-5080. I originally sold my S-760 because of these kinds of limitations. I loved the sound and miss it in some respects. When I found out that the XP-5080 was going to be able to load samples in I was thrilled.

My buddy burst my bubble when he told me about this. You have just patched it up. I suspect that he's probably trying to load all of the samples into a particular tone or partial or something that has a limit. Great to hear that it is not the case.

BTW, I'm just curious. The S-760 was brutally slow in converting Akai samples. How does the XV do at this task? Thanks once again.

Fernando

#25593 - 09/13/00 01:03 AM Re: XV-5080 and Number of Samples
Cosmic Dreamer Offline

Hello,

Maybe your friend just loaded 128 samples but also all his memory was filled up? Because you actually have the same number of samples (8192) available in regular 4tone mode, ive looked into it...

About the conversion? it goes as swift as ever, I mean the actual loading process is there wich can be upto beyond a minute or 2 if you load like 50 mb or so.. but thats "load activity" I've never witnessed "conversion activity".. They are instantly "there" when their loaded.

You can even preview and *.as (akai) sample when you are in the load screen, and then use the AP (patch) to begin loading and converting in user area.

cd

#25594 - 09/13/00 07:40 AM Re: XV-5080 and Number of Samples
fvicente Offline

Cool! Looks like I'll be selling my JV-2080 *very* soon . I don't know how he hit the limit. He does mostly R&B and HipHop so he's always using tons of drum samples.

I'll try to figure out what he did. He lives a few hundred miles away so I can't go over to his place.

In terms of conversion activity, it gets lumped into the load activity if it is anything like the S-760 was. It will load the Aksai samples and programs and convert as it loads. If it takes 2 minutes to load 50 MB or so, it is still not quick. However, that is a *lot* quicker than the S-760. There were times that I had to wait over 2 minutes to load in an 8 MB bank!

Looking forward to getting the XV-5080 now. Thanks once again for the info.

Fernando

#25595 - 09/13/00 12:08 PM Re: XV-5080 and Number of Samples
fvicente Offline

Hi CD,

I found out more info from my friend. He tells me that he is, in fact, able to load in more than 128 samples. I misunderstood him.

This is what he says. He loads up like 300 samples. Then, he is trying to assign a drum sound per key to build up patches of drum sets. He says that the 5080 only allows him to scroll up to sample #128 and not further. Even though the 5080 will let you load up more samples it will not allow you to assign over sample #128.

I'm assuming that he's doing something wrong because that sounds totally whacked. Have you got any insight?

Thanks in advance.

Fernando

#25596 - 09/13/00 01:53 PM Re: XV-5080 and Number of Samples
Cosmic Dreamer Offline

I'd like to say that I was a little bit too far away when I told that 50 mb loads in 2 minutes... 8 mb loaded in 12 seconds from my 40speed CDROM drive, so I bet if you would load from a HD it will go faster. Actually you load the 128mb in some whopping 5 minutes. I don't know, but loading a whole bunch of samples at once takes longer in respect to the shorter amounts. Meaning that you can't say that if you load 10 mb, it loads in 20 seconds, so 20 mb will load in 40seconds.. It's not that cut n dry

But I don't have a HD just yet so I don't know how much faster it would load.. I mostly write to smart media now. (as if i had another choise)..

Another thing.. I'm really at a loss at this sample loading problem. is he working in rythm mode ?. working on drum kit patchess? I'm there now and I have loaded tons of samples that i assign, and i can go up to 8192 (wich is ofcourse blank) and I had some 142 samples...

Ofcourse you can only keymap 90 of these files per drumkit..

Well don't shoot me if I have it all backwards but I have no 128samples or 999 sample limit on my xv5080.

cd

#25597 - 09/13/00 02:33 PM Re: XV-5080 and Number of Samples
fvicente Offline

Hi CD,

Thanks once again for the info. Sorry to be a pain in the *ss. I don't know either. Unfortunately, since he lives far away, I'll be unable to work on it with him. He said he called up tech support and they supposedly told him that this is the way it works. I though it was quite strange myself.

Oh well, I'll let him know that it does work and he is probably just doing something wrong. Thanks once again for the tips.

Fernando

#25598 - 09/13/00 02:58 PM Re: XV-5080 and Number of Samples
Cosmic Dreamer Offline

You'll have to ask him on wich page exactly that he has this problem.......

cd

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online