SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#25827 - 06/15/00 05:44 AM SR-JV80 New Board Suggestion
ricok987 Offline

Loc: N Brunswick, NJ, US
How about a Vocal II board (Rock & Dance Vocals). Featured would be vocals suitable for Rock, Dance, and HH. They could have 1/4 of the samples male, 1/4 female, 1/4 mixed, and 1/4 robot/electronic. Have 255 presets with say 2 all vocal drum kits- rock, and Dance. Absolutely no OOOS, DOOOS, and AAAHS. I would say this board is long over due.

#25828 - 06/25/00 09:40 AM Re: SR-JV80 New Board Suggestion
sergiu muresan Offline

Loc: zalau salaj romania
Don't you think a vocal board doesn't worth its money when you can get lots of samples in wav format and use them with a computer?You can get other boards for the money.

#25829 - 06/25/00 03:25 PM Re: SR-JV80 New Board Suggestion
ricok987 Offline

Loc: N Brunswick, NJ, US
Problem is JV/XP's do not support sample playback via external devices.

#25830 - 06/25/00 05:10 PM Re: SR-JV80 New Board Suggestion
epu Offline

When it comes to vocal sounds, I would recommend using some sampler. When it comes to the instruments, this is where Roland should continue to support the SRJV line, especially since SRJV slots are available in the new XV synths.

Now the SRJV19 Guitar & Drums and SRJV20 Sample ROM expansion board should become a reality. We've already seen that 16MB ROM can yeild some very high quality waveforms with the SRJV10 Bass & Drums. Now, we should do that for Guitar.

My Current Exp. Board Setup:

Hip-Hop, Bass&Drums, Exp I, ExpII

My Future Exp. Board Setup

Hip-Hop, Bass & Drums, Session, Piano [or] Hip-Hop, Bass & Drums, Session, Guitar

#25831 - 06/26/00 10:05 AM Re: SR-JV80 New Board Suggestion
Al_a_man Offline

Loc: U.K
<>

woo yeah (in annoying american accent). Incidentally, has anyone figured out how to get riffs, and chordal strumming, that kind of guitar stuff out of a synth yet?

Al
Who's getting bloody annoyed (he cut himself shaving :-) by the lack of crucnchy guitar sounds

#25832 - 06/27/00 11:50 AM Re: SR-JV80 New Board Suggestion
fvicente Offline

Loc: Port Moody, BC, Canada
Hi all,

Personally, I think that Roland is not going to really work much on new JV boards. Rather, they are probably going to start creating more of the new 64 MB boards for the XV-x080 modules. They've got a ton of boards out for the JV series already and only two of the 64 boards.

Don't get me wrong. I would love to see more new boards for the JV too (I own a JV-2080). I just think that, in order to push more of the new models, Roland will concentrate on supporting those more now.

Just MHO,
Fernando

#25833 - 06/28/00 06:35 AM Re: SR-JV80 New Board Suggestion
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Hey Al,
Oberheim made a midi unit long ago called the "strummer". Iy would revoice keyboard chords to match a guitarists voicings and produce the strumming effect. Worked pretty good, too. They are sometimes on eBay for about a hundred bucks or less. As for riffs - you have to become "one" with the pitch bend lever and THINK like a guitarist. There is no substitute for "Learning" the proper technique for each intrument sound you try to emulate with a synth. MOST of why synths sound artificial is in the "performers hand" & NOT the programmer!
A good way to start is to set your pitch bender for a whole step, so you can do gentle bends of a quarter tone to a half, etc. Usually, bend UP to a note, and try to get it as smoooooooth as you can. Listen to your fav guitarists and copy licks 'till you get it. It's time well spent. You'll sound MUCH more realistic once you get the bender working right.Also, try to NOT play riffs that are IMPOSSIBLE on a fretboard. (Check a guitar chord chart if you need help)

------------------
Uncle Dave

#25834 - 06/28/00 10:34 AM Re: SR-JV80 New Board Suggestion
Al_a_man Offline

Loc: U.K
cool, thanx, I was actually playing with my schools xp-10 arpeggiator, and that can be quite convingcing given enough fx, and enough 'cover' music. I think I probably need to play with the wave forms, and cut the attack to a minimum, which seems to be part of my problem, the sound breaks, whereas in strum,ming the sound is constant. Off to LFO land I feel...
Al

#25835 - 06/29/00 03:39 AM Re: SR-JV80 New Board Suggestion
Animaniac Offline

Loc: Coventry,WM,England
Al,

i had the same problem with the electric guitars. The attack seems to need tweaking. Uncle Dave is right about the bend wheel. Using the bend i can play pretty cool riffs on the keyboard (Lenny kravitz, zepp, whatever) If you have a jv1080/2080/xp60/80 there is a patch somewhere "Rock your socks" With the bender and a good technique is sounds better than my Strat which i think is amazing. All my guitar playing friends would not believe that the sound was coming out of the keyoboard. The patch sounds like Gary Moore's sound on parisiane walkways (i think). Lots of feedback and sweetness.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online