SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#25907 - 11/05/00 01:04 AM Baffled by inability to record rhythm parts on separate tracks with XP60 sequencer...
MJB Offline

Loc: London, England
I wonder if anyone can talk me through what ought to be such a simple job...?

All I want to do is have a rhythm patch coming in to the sequencer on Part 10 (like you're supposed to) then record several of its components (kick, snare, toms etc) onto separate midi Tracks so I can control their volume etc etc separately.

I am familiar with the process of recording sequences in Performance mode - putting completely different Patches on separate Parts and Tracks, but I cannot seem to do it with Rhythm...

Sure, I can record the component parts separately, but I cannot then seem to edit them separately - I end up controlling the whole 'part' rather than the individual instruments I have recorded from it.

Does anyone (a) have the faintest idea what I'm talking about and (b) have any advice to offer?!?

Thanks very much,

Martin

#25908 - 11/05/00 10:07 AM Re: Baffled by inability to record rhythm parts on separate tracks with XP60 sequencer...
DanO Offline

Loc: Ohio
Martin,

As I don't own an XP synth, just and MC-50 sequencer, I am only guessing. Do you have the ability to use different midi channels per sequenced track? If so, you can have separate tracks that all contain different aspects of the rhythm track (midi channel 10). By this I mean that each track can contain any number of the midi channels simultaneously. This concept is similar to the virtual tracks on the VS series recorders, but the difference is that you are dealing with midi information, not audio. For example, you could have midi channels 1, 5, & 10 on track one & channels 3, 6 & 10 on track 2, etc. When you go into edit the track, you can specify which midi channel you want to edit. I used to use this method all the time with my MC-50, because I liked building up the rhythm parts a little at a time. I would just keep picking different tracks on the sequencer, and of course, it would record it on the correct midi channel. That way everything could be controlled separately, but it would all end up being played by my drum patch on channel 10. I know this was a capability of the MC series sequencers, but I am not sure about on the XP's, because you are dealing with an internal sequencer and internal sounds. Just a guess though, sorry I can't help.

DanO

#25909 - 11/05/00 12:25 PM Re: Baffled by inability to record rhythm parts on separate tracks with XP60 sequencer...
MJB Offline

Thanks Dano,

I think the XP60 can do this. Whether I can is a different matter!

I find the machine more and more complicated the longer I use it!

I can find my way round a Roland VS1680 or 880 like a dream, but this thing....boy, it's driving me nuts.

Nothing seems easy or logical. But maybe that's because I haven't really got my hear around midi yet.

Thank you for you advice anyway. I'll have yet another attempt to read the manual...

Martin

#25910 - 11/05/00 08:45 PM Re: Baffled by inability to record rhythm parts on separate tracks with XP60 sequencer...
epu Offline

Hey Martin, sorry I took so long to respond. I've been busy with school.

The answer to this is very easy. The answer is - yes and yes.

As someone here already said, you could easily change the MIDI CHANNEL of many tracks to 10 and use each track for a different drum waveform. The only deal is that they will all be using the same drum set (no changing drum sets, doing so will change the rhythm set on all other tracks).

Since you would have recorded differnt source waveforms to different tracks, you could then use the PALLETTE SLIDERS or the DATA WHEEL to change the volume of each individual drum key.

This method is great, but you just have to be very careful when you do track edits. Aftertouch would still affect the whole drum patch.

The other way to do this is to make a MENU patch in which a regular patch could be a bass drum. Another one could be a snare drum. You would then assign all of these patches to different parts in a performance. This way is a little more flexible. You could easily use the TONE COPY funciton to copy a drum waveform in a rhythm set to a TONE in a PATCH.

This way is cool, but time consuming. It would also waste parts in a performance. The cool thing about this is however, that polyphony would be at a minimum, you don't have to worry about drums being confined to PART 10 and you would have complete control.

The Infamous EPU.

#25911 - 11/06/00 02:30 PM Re: Baffled by inability to record rhythm parts on separate tracks with XP60 sequencer...
MJB Offline

Thank you everyone for your kind help. I am struggling to keep up with what you're saying, but it's beginning to make sense. For the time being I have found a beginner's way of doing what I was trying to achieve as follwos:

1). record the individual Notes (i.e. parts of the drum kit) from Part 10 onto various individual Tracks as required.

2). when needing to change levels, panning etc on individual Rhythm notes, I simply hit the Rhythm button and tweak the original Notes on the Rhythm Part from the Key TVA display in real time.

Not as neat as using separate channels etc, but it works for me - at least while I am still studying the manual and trying to get me brain round everything you're telling me here!

Thank you again,

Martin

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online