SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#25982 - 04/24/00 11:50 AM Orchestral expansion board I or II
DK Offline

Greeting I’ve just bought a JV1010 as it seemed like such a bargain and a quick source of sounds is very appealing. Now I’m looking at putting in an expansion orchestral board but as the JV1010 only takes one it’s a bit of a problem. I know I can and will download demo’s of the net but there’s no substitute for experience so I’m asking for your experiences please….. I’ll be using g it mainly for games and soundscapes, so if you could only have one orchestral board which one would it be ?

thanks in advance.

DK.

#25983 - 04/24/00 12:56 PM Re: Orchestral expansion board I or II
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
DK, I only used the original orchestral board, it covered the bases,You won't be disapointed, even if you never hear the orch2 board..Fran

#25984 - 04/24/00 01:14 PM Re: Orchestral expansion board I or II
Southern Comfort Offline

Hi, DK
Why don't you go to local stores and check out xp30 in which the Orch1 board is already installed.
I haven't heard the orch2 board yet, but I am quite satisfied with the orch1 board.

#25985 - 04/24/00 03:26 PM Re: Orchestral expansion board I or II
pstares Offline

Loc: UK
If you can just have the one then I'd recommend the first orchestral board. I own the first, and had a play with the 2nd in a music shop and whilst it's very good it seems as if it was designed to supplement the first board. Many of the patch names carry on from the first, e.g. Orch II has patches 'Oboe 5' thru 'Oboe 8' - 1 thru 4 are on the first board.

Orch II also seems to be missing several key areas that were coverd extensively in the Orch I board, mainly in the percussion department, though the second board has much more in the way of Pianos & Choirs than the first (+ the extra Celtic stuff, think Riverdance). Seeing as the JV1010 has the session board, you should be doing OK for choirs / pianos anyway...

At the end of the day it is probably best if you hear both boards yourself, but IMHO if you can only have one then go for the first Orch board.

Good luck!
Pete

#25986 - 04/24/00 08:23 PM Re: Orchestral expansion board I or II
Korgasm Offline

Loc: Australia
Both of these boards complement each other very nicely!

I have the 1st board- it has some great sounds (particularly the hits, orchestra sections and ensemble strings. The pianos are pathetic however. It has a superb classical guitar patch also.

I will also the the 2nd board. I've played it and to me I think that the sampling is better on this card. The strings and brass sounds are definetly fuller sounding but this card doesn't cover all the bases of the 1st card. Whether you like the celtic sounds is a matter of taste. The choirs on the 2nd boards are absolutely superb (I want this card for those sounds alone believe it or not!!). Think ENYA when you heard those sounds.

In the end, give both cards a try. You can't go wrong with either of these are they both complement each other rather than outdo each other. Cheers.

#25987 - 04/27/00 03:38 AM Re: Orchestral expansion board I or II
Dr. RiPsaw Offline

I have the Orchestral II board, and I can say it's a wonderful board, and I think there are better sounds on in than on board 1. The strings are much better than board 1, but it has some other sounds too, which are very great. But board 1 has got more variety in sounds.
You should choose the second board.

Good luck.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online