SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#26076 - 07/22/02 12:29 AM What types of software/sequencers are we all using?
muse newton Offline

Loc: CO, USA
I'm wondering what everyone out there is using to edit/arrange/record their music. I currently have a rather primitive set-up: I use the onboard sequencer on my XP-60 and then record directly onto CD with a phillips CD recorder. I want to change this set-up since it has obvious drawbacks. the roland sequencer is far from being user friendly IMO, and i can't do any final mixing. any input y'all have would be both helpful and eye-opening,
later,
MN

#26077 - 07/22/02 04:18 AM Re: What types of software/sequencers are we all using?
Korgasm Offline

Loc: Australia
There are a number of options out there!

Firstly are you planning on using a PC or a Mac as some software is only available for one or the other platform- MOTU Digital Perfoermer is MAC only whilst Cakewalk Sonar is PC only. Emagic Logic will soon become Mac only (although who knows if there will be a mass outcry from disgruntled PC Emagic users???????). Steinberg Cubase and Nuendo are for both platforms.

All of the above mentioned programs plus others are very powerufl in their own rights and get the job of music production done very well indeed!

I personally use a Mac G4 running a Digidesign Digi 001 system with Protools LE- this is great for audio but weaker for MIDI. I also have Logic Audio GOld which is the best for Midi but I find it more cumbersome for audio although other would not agree!

It all comes down to what computer you are using and what software you are comfortable using! If running MAC give Motu Digital Performer a good going over! I am gonna check out this program soon. The new Cubase SX and SL look very interesting also although personally I find the interface too colourful for my taste!

Logic is great and the plug ins a numerous and of high quality.

Basically there are alot of options out there! Good luck .

#26078 - 07/22/02 10:09 PM Re: What types of software/sequencers are we all using?
muse newton Offline

Loc: CO, USA
Thanks for the input Korgasm.
I am using a PC. I looked into Digi Design but it requires a tower and I use a laptop. Some further questions: If my understanding of all the programs you mentioned is correct, then one still can't record-one can only arrange. Do those programs actually convert analog signals from the left and right output of my keyboard into digital signals on my PC? The XP series hasn't a digital out unfortunetly. So even if I use cubase for example, it only controls my keybaord, but doesn't record it, right?

#26079 - 07/24/02 09:25 AM Re: What types of software/sequencers are we all using?
Dr.Oscillator Offline

Loc: Norwich, Uk
Quote:
Originally posted by muse newton:
Thanks for the input Korgasm.
I am using a PC. I looked into Digi Design but it requires a tower and I use a laptop. Some further questions: If my understanding of all the programs you mentioned is correct, then one still can't record-one can only arrange. Do those programs actually convert analog signals from the left and right output of my keyboard into digital signals on my PC? The XP series hasn't a digital out unfortunetly. So even if I use cubase for example, it only controls my keybaord, but doesn't record it, right?

Ok, Here is my setup which I find works well for me. I use an XP60 and a PC running a very old version of cakewalk (sequencer), Cubase VST/32 with numerous plugins and virtual instruments. Basically what I do is

1. Sequence the main song via MIDI in my old sequencer cake walk (the only reason I do this is because it is without doubt far faster than uing VST for this process.

2. Then I will arrange it in VST, I have the 4 lineouts from my XP60 plugged into the lineins of my soundcard and then monitor from my computer. By doing this I can manipulate all 4 channels with different plugin FX's in realtime if I want to without having to edit the MIDI data or commit it to audio. as well as using the soft sampler and vst instruments.

3. Once I am happy with my song I Mixdown and then record all to audio and finally burn it onto CD

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online