SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#261284 - 04/09/09 10:33 PM Brought the house down tonight!
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Not me, a tornado. I was playing the last song at 10:30 when Ernest, the owner, came running in and told everybody to get away from the windows. I reached for my power plug, but before I could pull it a big flash of lighting hit, then the "freight train" noise. It was over in 10 seconds.
It blew the back end of the building off, plus a new addition on one end. All the power poles, meters and electrical connections were gone.
There is a huge star on top of the building, or rather there was. It was blown away, and it probably weighed at least 400 pounds.
Part of the building blew into my Scion SB and broke the rear window out. I had parked it close to the building because I had to load my gear out because I was off Friday and Saturday.
As far as I can tell tonight that's the only damage to it. I don't know if my equipment was damaged by the lightening or the electrical outage. I'll have to try it tomorrow.
Most of the customers had left, but there were probably 20-30 still there. Several of their cars were damaged, plus Ernest's big motor home in back.
Thank God nobody was injured, and the part of the building that was blown off was unoccupied, although earlier it was full of customers.
I am planning to go out of town tomorrow to visit my son and his family in Oklahoma, but I'll have to take my car to the shop first.
We have an extra vehicle, so I can drive it on the trip.
Don't know when Ernest will be able to open back up, but I'm not working again until Tuesday. I'm betting he will have enough of it repaired to open by then. They are closed Sunday and Monday anyway.
I called HankB and he didn't answer, so I drove by his house, near Barksdale AFB. All the electricity is out for about a mile around there, but I finally got him to answer on his cell phone. He was asleep and didn't know there was a storm.
Just though I'd share this. You never know what's going to happen.
DonM
P.S. Here's a link to local news coverage of the storm. http://www.ktbs.com/news/Barksdale-Air-Force-Base-Westgate-closed-29623/

[This message has been edited by DonM (edited 04-09-2009).]

#261285 - 04/10/09 05:37 AM Re: Brought the house down tonight!
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
What a harrowing experience! It’s good to hear that no one was injured. I hope your equipment survived. Looks like you got all your rough days (surgery and tornados) out of the way, and the rest of the year will be smooth sailing. I have a couple of spare Midjays and strap on controllers that I could lend you if your equipment has to go to the shop. Stay well.
Ciao,
Jerry

#261286 - 04/10/09 05:40 AM Re: Brought the house down tonight!
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
More good news for SZ members!

Glad you're ok, Don...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#261287 - 04/10/09 06:38 AM Re: Brought the house down tonight!
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
Hi friend.
Whata fear!
God bless you
Chico

#261288 - 04/10/09 07:13 AM Re: Brought the house down tonight!
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Don,

As you know the most important thing is that no one was injured. The cars and equipment are just stuff that doesn't really matter. I'm just glad that all of you are ok.

Tom

Tom

#261289 - 04/10/09 07:19 AM Re: Brought the house down tonight!
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Well that's one way of doing it.

Upstaged by a tornado, eh?

Glad you're okay, buddy.

Ian

#261290 - 04/10/09 07:23 AM Re: Brought the house down tonight!
mikey_maestro Offline

Loc: San Tan Valley, AZ
Don, glad to hear your safe.

Imagine if you were play folsom prison blues.

"I hear a train a coming........"

------------------
God Bless,
Mikey

www.mikeymaestro.com
www.myspace.com/kidconcert
www.balloonanimal.com
www.jokevid..com
www.77bucks.com Affordable web design

#261291 - 04/10/09 07:55 AM Re: Brought the house down tonight!
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Talk about "Bad Moon Rising".

And I thought Bossier City never had bad weather...or so I have heard from the town's "avid golfer".

Hope your gear is good and Ernest's recovers quickly.

Eddie

#261292 - 04/10/09 08:38 AM Re: Brought the house down tonight!
DonM Offline

Getting my window replaced now. Cost is $471. Guess who has a $500. deductible.
There is a lot of damage around both towns, and a few injuries, but no deaths.
One major street in Bossier City is closed for several miles.
Hank is O.K., well at least as o.k. as normal!
DonM

#261293 - 04/10/09 08:56 AM Re: Brought the house down tonight!
Dnj Offline

Don,

I'm so glad your safe......the building can always be repaired. It must certainly have been a scary scenario for sure. I hope Ernest can bounce back asap also I love that restaurant. Have a wonderful Holiday also.

#261294 - 04/10/09 09:39 AM Re: Brought the house down tonight!
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Damn, Don, I'd take a closer look at your song list! Somebody REALLY important doesn't like a tune or two you play!

Just kidding, of course. Really glad you're OK!

Russ

#261295 - 04/10/09 10:07 AM Re: Brought the house down tonight!
DonM Offline

If I'd been playing Jazz, I probably wouldn't be here today!
I'm hitting the road now for Oklahoma. I'll try to dodge the grass fires, and I won't go through Mena, AR on the way either.
DonM

#261296 - 04/10/09 10:13 AM Re: Brought the house down tonight!
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Don,
In the sixties in Morgan City the same thing happened across from Maurice's Lounge while I was working with a six piece R&R band.
At least 3 building across the street were about totaled. We played so loud we didn't even hear the freight train sound. Ha! Ha! Some one came running into the club to make it known.

#261297 - 04/10/09 11:18 AM Re: Brought the house down tonight!
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
WOWOWOW!!!
That is too close for Comfort. even Southern Comfort.
Happy to hear that all is well.
Best regards,
Bebop

#261298 - 04/10/09 11:30 AM Re: Brought the house down tonight!
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Don - and what style were you using for "Blowin' in the Wind"? HA HA... So glad to hear that you and your patrons were unscathed. That's a little too close for comfort for sure. Makes you appreciate the days when things are just routine.

Again, glad to hear that you weathered that one so well!

Randy

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#261299 - 04/10/09 03:55 PM Re: Brought the house down tonight!
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Don ... so glad you and others were not injured ... we just never know - from one minute to the next, we just NEVER know ...
t.

#261300 - 04/10/09 07:57 PM Re: Brought the house down tonight!
zuki Offline

That's what you get for being able to golf in January

Glad you're OK.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Nord 6D73/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/ATEM Mini Pro switcher/K&M stand

#261301 - 04/11/09 09:55 AM Re: Brought the house down tonight!
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Wow, at first I thought this might be an April Fool's joke but the thread is dated the ninth. Glad everyone got out okay without any injuries or worse. Aren't there any sirens in the vicinity to alert people of a possible tornado Don? I realize sometimes that even though there ARE sirens it can happen so quick that the sirens don't help in some instances. At least not in giving people enough time to find sufficient cover and safety anyway. If there weren't any sirens at all then it's each man for himself and fortunately everyone escaped the tornados wrath. FWIW, that would be my biggest fear in moving out to the Mid-West or South i.e. TORNADOS!! I'd rather continue and take my chances in "Quaker" State, California than risk living in "Freight Train" Louisiana home of the infamous Tornado Alley. I applaud your courage Don and each and every person that continues to daily take their lives in their own hands by living in that area of the Country. I guess you get used to it after a while I reckon though huh? Just like we get use to our houses and buildings rattling and swaying violently back and forth on occasion here in California too, eh?

Once again, glad everyone got out unscathed Don. Well, all but your car that is. Over $400 bucks for a windshield with a $500 deductable must have made you day huh? As long as you and everyone else made it out alive is the greatest relief. The windshield can always be replaced.

All the best,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 04-11-2009).]

#261302 - 04/11/09 10:07 AM Re: Brought the house down tonight!
Dnj Offline

http://www.ksla.com/global/video/flash/popupplayer.asp?ClipID1=3641057&h1=Er

Here is a News video (after commercial) Hank sent me of the Tornado devestation at Ernest's restaurant where Don M performs nightly............
I also played there in January at the Jam...I hope they recover asap.

#261303 - 04/11/09 02:33 PM Re: Brought the house down tonight!
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Tornadoes are serious threats no doubt about it. I was taking a lighthearted look at them and with our situation in California with our earthquakes but it really is not funny at all when you happen to be caught in the middle of them. It's also really sad about the loss of life and devastation with that recent tornado in Tennessee, which is not very far from La.

There are about 1,000 tornadoes that touch down in the U.S. each year which is mind boggling. OTOH, we get earthquakes in California on a much rarer scale with big ones occuring sometimes several years or even decades apart. But one big earthquake can do the same amount of damage as a whole years worth of tornadoes that happen in the Mid West and South. And then there's the hurricanes down in Florida and the Gulf Coast which ranks right up there as well, in terms of the damage they can do.

Don and his fellow companions must be extremely grateful they made it through without a scratch. I know I would be.

All the best,
Mike

#261304 - 04/12/09 09:58 AM Re: Brought the house down tonight!
DonM Offline

Thanks for all the good thoughts. I'm in Oklahoma visiting my son. Played 36 holes yesterday, and we're getting ready for Easter dinner now.
Thanks for the link to the video. I hadn't seen it.
DonM

#261305 - 04/12/09 06:50 PM Re: Brought the house down tonight!
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
"Getting my window replaced now. Cost is $471. Guess who has a $500. deductible."

Don,

Maybe times have changed, but every auto policy I've had had zero deductable for glass. I guess it's a safety thing. Please check your policy. -charley

#261306 - 04/12/09 08:05 PM Re: Brought the house down tonight!
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Hey Don:

Going to Oklahoma? Wow, from an area not usually associated with Tornadoes (Shreveport) to Tornado Alley... Oklahoma!

Brave stuff, my man. Be careful. I sure hope your gear is okay. Man, those Scion Windows are expensive. I agree, Ernest will probably have things back together sufficiently to resume business ASAP.

We really dodged a bullet over in this neck of the Texas woods. Finally got rain and have had several high wind episodes. A few turned common grass fires into infernos but nothing real close to Glen Rose.

Take Care and Happy Easter.

Dave Rice
http://www.DaveRice.Bandcamp.com

#261307 - 04/13/09 07:55 AM Re: Brought the house down tonight!
DonM Offline

By going to a $500. deductible on collision and comp, we saved about $1000. a year on total cost of our car insurance. So far, we're still ahead!
My wife is employed by the largest insurance agency in the area. It's a calculated risk.
Rice, I'm glad the bad stuff missed you this time. I grew up in Oklahoma and have been through many tornadoes. Only had damage after moving to Louisiana. The one in 99 did $40,000 damage to our house and property, and we were one of the lucky ones then.
I would rather dodge an occasional tornado then the hurricanes and earthquakes in other parts of the country.
I'll be checking out the equipment today.
DonM

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online