SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 10 of 12 < 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 >
Topic Options
#263482 - 05/18/09 03:57 PM Re: Yamaha's Price Jacks.., are they helping or hurting?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Didn't realize about the NDA, that explains a lot... mind you, you MIGHT bring it up more often than the basic 'everything's all right, Jack' that you often use

Me, I'd like to see a 76 on the S900's successor (as an option!). That NP30 action ought to work within Yamaha's budget... Oh, and better MIDI implementation. They would sell a LOT more to people trying to integrate them with other arrangers and workstations if that was possible.

Well my friend, generally when everything is "alright", I tend to focus more on what I have, than what I don't have, or wish I had...I tend to live in the "now" a lot...doesn't work for everybody, but it's what I need to keep a balance in my life.

I imagine NP-30 keybed would be okay on an S900, although I'm not sure if I'd like having a graded touch when I'm mainly using the instrument for accompaniment and RH melody...it would be okay for piano stuff.

I suppose one could get used to it.

One would also wonder if it would be easier to make a DGX instrument with the S900 type accompaniment...it would seem to make sense for those instruments to advance to four variations per style from the two they have now.

They come in several flavors already...88 weighted GH, and 88 and 76 unweighted GH, and the 76'er is pretty portable.

Possibly it would be far more advantageous economically, to see technology that's already paid for itself in the S900 , filter down (or across) to other products.

Of course, this is all completely hypothetical, and just my active imagination bouncing out of the "now" for a few moments.

Ian

#263483 - 05/19/09 02:30 AM Re: Yamaha's Price Jacks.., are they helping or hurting?
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
I wouldn't go as far as to call the NP30's action 'graded' anything. It's basically a no-weight action little (if any) better than the S900 (which is why I feel it would be a success and appropriate quality level for what Yamaha thinks PSR owners deserve for the money ). Other than stretching the case, I see no need to do anything different to the arranger. Why split and complicate the issue if a simple addition to the line would accomplish more than some bastard DGX (which you KNOW Yamaha will dumb down) version of the S900?

Sure, I'd LOVE to see an FSR keyboard added, but it's just not going to happen unless to the T3 line... To be honest, I don't think the NP30's keyboard would slow ANYONE down, even those used to the S900's...

#263484 - 05/19/09 02:37 AM Re: Yamaha's Price Jacks.., are they helping or hurting?
Diki Online   content

From Yamaha's NP30 page (my bold added)

Quote:
Graded Soft Touch Action - NEW
Because of its similarity to acoustic pianos, a graded action is one of the primary features sought by pianists in their digital instruments. While technically a non-weighted action, the new Graded Soft-Touch keyboard is the first of its kind bringing different levels of resistance without the extra weight of moving hammers the key contributor to the NP-30's fighting weight of only 12 pounds. The end result is a very playable action that will appeal to pianists who want to take their music anywhere.

Love how they try to hide those facts in marketingspeak. It's a no-weight, not synth weight, not semi-weight, not fully weighted, not nothing...

Ought to be perfect for those used to the S900, Ian...

#263485 - 05/19/09 04:55 AM Re: Yamaha's Price Jacks.., are they helping or hurting?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Diki.., the NP-30's action does have a notable graded feel to it. It's not a weighted action and Yamaha never said it was to begin with. I think the problem is too many people ASSUMED it was a weighted action. People saw "graded touch" and assumed it was a weighted action, but it's not. It also didn't help that online retailers (on their own) were adding the term "semi-weighted keys" to the NP's description. It's a light touch graded action. It's more between synth action and semi-weighted really. I can't imagine S900 users not liking the NP's action if it were added to the S900. It's not weighted so those concerned with action speed or joint pain really don't have anything to worry about.

When I had the NP-30.., it was also midi'd up to other gear and I found the action to be fairly quick and responsive. The NP's keybed is by no means a "piano feel".., but IMO it's def a step above the typical PSR action.

The action was different.., but if you actually owned the thing and took it home and "used it" beyond a quick store demo.., You'd (like many out there who own/owned it.., including myself) would find that it did not take long to adjust to the NP's feel.

Diki.., you're used to that smooth as silk action on you G-70. Naturally.., the NP's keys would feel totally different to you.., especially if you thought the keys were supposed to be weighted to some extent.

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 05-19-2009).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#263486 - 05/19/09 05:40 AM Re: Yamaha's Price Jacks.., are they helping or hurting?
ianmcnll Offline

Well at this point most of us can only guess what will happen, and I'd be hard pressed to say the MOTL PSR would go to 76 keys, when they don't feel a 76 TOTL model is feasible, and they already have a piano based arranger in the DGX line.

Far more likely they'll cut a few more holes in the DGX case and add more accompaniment variations and extra intro/ending buttons.

Why go to the bother to s-t-r-e-t-c-h, the PSR case, when there is one already available with 88/76 notes in the DGX line...they even have pitch bend wheels.

For argument's sake, I guess they could stencil PSR over the DGX letters, and there you'd have your 88/76 PSR. ;D

That's my take on it, for what it's worth.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 05-19-2009).]

#263487 - 05/19/09 06:12 AM Re: Yamaha's Price Jacks.., are they helping or hurting?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Typical prices in the UK

* Converted from Euros

Ketron Audya £3293.34

Korg PA2x £2499.52

Lionstracs Mediastation X76 AM2 Expanded £2628.53*

Lionstracs Mediastation MS X-76 Pro £5257.27*

Roland E80 £1784.86

Wersi Abacus £4791.24*

Yamaha Tyros 3 £3149.00

#263488 - 05/19/09 01:36 PM Re: Yamaha's Price Jacks.., are they helping or hurting?
Diki Online   content

squeak, I've played the NP30. Not a big fan, but I merely brought it up as an obvious candidate for 76 PSR keyboard because it IS very light and cheap, the two criteria Yamaha seem to think appropriate for that line...

Yamaha would have to do MUCH more to the DGX line than the simple stretch to the PSR case, Ian. You and I both know how dumbed down the DGX line is compared to the PSR (or you'd have one rather than hauling an 88 around!). Gearing up to accommodate everything that a PSR OS and sounds would bring to the DGX line would push the line into altogether new and more advanced areas (not exactly up Yamaha's street, policy-wise), whereas adding the NP30 action to the PSR line wouldn't change a thing, including weight, much... Personally, I think it would fit in with Yamaha's existing product identity better than a beefed up, pretty different OS DGX...

#263489 - 05/19/09 02:27 PM Re: Yamaha's Price Jacks.., are they helping or hurting?
ianmcnll Offline

Only time will tell what will happen, Diki, although I will say the prospect of a 76 note PSR is very very slim.

There would be far greater chance of the next Tyros having more than 61 keys, and what do you think the odds are of that happening?

Why not go all the way and consider what you'll do with your Lotto winnings.

If you must have 76 keys(and you must!)you'd have a better chance waiting for the next G-series (or even a new E-series) and hoping to hell they don't take any steps backwards...of course, you are quite happy with your present 'board, so you can wait for something you really want, like I can as well.

And, while we're on the subject, maybe Roland will get it right this time and put the 76 keys on their flagship E, and not on the MOTL.

That was a bad move.

Ian

#263490 - 05/19/09 04:26 PM Re: Yamaha's Price Jacks.., are they helping or hurting?
Diki Online   content

Little difference between the E80 and the G70 to warrant a 76 E (I don't think they've ever had a 76 E ever) and a speaker'ed 76 would kind of get even more than I (weightlifter that I am - not! ) would be willing to tote... I am also still not a fan of speaker'ed arrangers anyway. I've got nearfields at home and a PA at work.

The 76 E60 is still quite the sleeper... pretty good value for money with a 'pro' action. And honestly, I think that Roland's dealer miscues had more to it being a non-contender than anything in the sound or OS. For what you can pick them up for (price AND weight!) they still seem like a good deal. I am sure that with Yamaha's name and marketing prowess, something in the E60's size and price range would do better than Roland...

To be honest, I think that Roland's E series more fits the 'home' designation than the PSR's and Tyros's ... Home users don't need portability, but they DO need speakers. The T3 without speakers definitely seems more 'pro' and the portability of the PSR's seems also to be aimed at someone moving it a lot...

I am not sure WHAT Roland would have to include on a new G series for me to upgrade after only four years or so. The Chord Sequencer... certainly. Guitars like Yamaha's Mega-voice ones? Possibly. MP3 player... pass Synced audio loop player ...? That's a good one But I don't see it happening.

I've got a feeling that, by the time that Roland get a new G-series out sufficiently advanced for me to need it (not want it! ), WS's will have ironed out a lot of the loop triggering kinks and chord following aspects, and I may have moved on...

Doesn't stop me from hankering after a 76 PSR, though. Just like you, I've got a feeling that, for cocktail and background gigs, a (76 for me ) PSR would be close to the perfect tool...

#263491 - 05/19/09 05:26 PM Re: Yamaha's Price Jacks.., are they helping or hurting?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Little difference between the E80 and the G70 to warrant a 76 E.

To be honest, I think that Roland's E series more fits the 'home' designation than the PSR's and Tyros's ...
Doesn't stop me from hankering after a 76 PSR, though. Just like you, I've got a feeling that, for cocktail and background gigs, a (76 for me ) PSR would be close to the perfect tool...

I just figured Roland would have classed them differently...the G70 being the "pro" arranger (no speakers), a 76 note E-80 the "home" arranger...and it just seemed odd to have 76 on a MOTL and 61 on the TOTL.

Of course we know Yamaha never does anything odd...

Regarding a 76 PSR, I don't want to play piano on unweighted keys (that's why I don't have an NP-30), so I'd still have to take my P-85 if I planned any solo piano pieces, or the gig required them along with the arranger tunes.

That's also why I hope they upgrade the DGX line to at least the S900 specs, keeping the 88 GHS keys and making it nearly as light as my P-85, but I may as well count what I'll do with my Lotto winnings too.

Page 10 of 12 < 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online