SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#26417 - 11/18/00 04:58 AM Can Two XPs/XVs or JVs be hooked up to give you twice the polyphony?
epu Offline

Seems like a dumb quesiton, but I remember reading how some synths can set themselves so they only recieve Odd/Even Note Number configurations so when attached, together they give you doublethe polyphony.

So, with that, I'm just curious as to whether a Roland XP60 and JV2080 would give you 64 Note Polyphony. Or if two XV5080s would give you 256MB Sample RAM and 256 Note Polyphony.

I remember reading that the Roland JV2080 has a modular architecture - That you could hook them up in series.

The Infamous EPU.

#26418 - 11/18/00 09:13 AM Re: Can Two XPs/XVs or JVs be hooked up to give you twice the polyphony?
OldSchool Offline

Loc: Lexington, KY USA
EPU:
I should preface my remarks with a disclaimer - I'm fairly new to all this, and have had very limited experience. I have no experience with the units you mention. However, such things never stopped me before!
My understanding is that the number of channels available is limited only by the controller/sequencer's ability to address them separately. I'm using a very crude computer program, so I'm stuck with 16, but others have no such limitations.
I have read that SysEx messages can even be used to divide up channels between different units of the same manufacture, or even same model. I've also been advised (in this forum) that when you intend to patch to different units, it's a good idea to have a MIDI mixer module which can route different channels (or even specific signals in one channel) along one of several MIDI outs. That is how I intend to go, and have the unit on order.
In my way of thinking, it wouldn't make sense to divide alternating notes of one voice between two synths or synth modules - it would make more sense to split up which modules get all of each patch, thereby making voices uniform in sound, taking advantages of the best voices of each module, and still reaping the harvest of reduced MIDI traffic to each.
Hope this helps. I've found that your concerns are very legitimate, since I'm finding it's pretty easy to overwhelm my little JV1010.

#26419 - 11/20/00 10:37 AM Re: Can Two XPs/XVs or JVs be hooked up to give you twice the polyphony?
fvicente Offline

Loc: Port Moody, BC, Canada
Hi epu,

I'm pretty sure that the JV-2080 could do this. I'm a little bit unsure if the XV-5080 has this capability but I would be surprised if it wasn't included.

Well, 2 XV-5080's (if they support this feature) would give you 256 note polyphony. However, I doubt that you'll have 256 MB of usable RAM. The reason I say this is because in order to do this, you need to have the exact same samples in each so you're really only getting 128 MB RAM. From what I recall, this feature alternates odd and even incoming notes. So, the first XV would take care of the 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, etc. notes (in the order that they come in) and the second XV would handle the 2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th, etc. notes.

Where you would get 256 MB of sample ram is if you used only midi channels 1 thru 8 on the first one and then midi channels 11 thru 16 on the second, or if you had them on 2 physically different MIDI outputs from your midi interface.

HTH,
Fernando

#26420 - 11/20/00 12:44 PM Re: Can Two XPs/XVs or JVs be hooked up to give you twice the polyphony?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
One way that is possible is this:
Using two identical units, "thin out" the tones that use 4 or more partials(smallest elements of sound)Then assign some partials to one unit and the rest to the second unit. You'll have to rewrite the whole patch list but the end result will be a true double of the polyphony - also at double the price.

#26421 - 11/22/00 08:43 PM Re: Can Two XPs/XVs or JVs be hooked up to give you twice the polyphony?
feefer Offline

Loc: XV-5080
Hi epu,

I just ran across the following in the manual (while trying to figure out why I lost a bunch of patches while saving to my SmartMedia card: the file saving structure seems needlessly awkward and confusing for the XV-5080).

Anyway, the XV-5080 has a Stack function that allows you to hook up to 8 (!) XV-5080's together, sending MIDI notes in a 'round robin' fashion.

The exception: Mono/portamento and multi-partial patches are sounded by the first unit, and rhythm sets by the second.

Regards,
Chris

#26422 - 11/28/00 11:13 PM Re: Can Two XPs/XVs or JVs be hooked up to give you twice the polyphony?
David Green Offline

Loc: BC, Canada
Hi,

The JV-2080 and XV-5080 both have Stack functions. However, you may find that having 32 Parts on 2x JV-2080s is more "freedom" than getting 128 Tones.

David
* Roland & Cakewalk Resources and Roland Newsgroups: http://www.lilchips.com *

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online