SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#26461 - 11/08/01 11:24 AM Re: Roland XP-50 Sequencer Efficiency
StringsMan Offline

Loc: Kansas City, MO USA
Thanks for the reply. This sounds like the solution! I will try to delete any controller data. I don't think I deliberately sent any, but I'll try to delete them if present. I hope there will be enough memory left to perform this editing. Otherwise I have cakewalk that should be able to do this.

Quote:
Originally posted by stigf:
Hei everyone.

First: No, the number of tones in each patch has nothing to do with the capacity used in the sequencer. The sequencer just sends a note over the correct MIDI-channel, and it is up to the synth-section of the XP to actually produce the sound. It does not matter to the sequencer if the sound produced is simple or complex.

Another thing to remember is that the sequencer stores 20000 MIDI-events, and not notes. This means that if you hava a lot of controller-data, sysex, program changes etc, this will use up the sequencer capacity. One prime example here is the aftertouch. If you press a key and make a long sustained note while changing the aftertouch pressure, the sequencer will only record one note-event, but perhaps hundreds of Control-Change-events for the aftertouch.

Data thin helps. It reduces the amount of controller data. This will not normally be audible, but the sequencer capacity is extended. If you are having problems with sequencer-memory, try to use data thin on each track after you have recorded them.

Another trick is to switch off aftertouch on parts where you don't need it, so that you are sure that no aftertouch-changes are generated.

Hope this was understandable.

Stig

#26462 - 11/08/01 12:35 PM Re: Roland XP-50 Sequencer Efficiency
dnarkosis Offline

Loc: usa
Stringsman: Try loading your song in your XP and going into Microscope Mode to see exactly what data is there on each track. Then you'll know what is actually there taking up memory.

#26463 - 11/09/01 12:53 AM Re: Roland XP-50 Sequencer Efficiency
stigf Offline

Loc: Tromsų, Norway
10000 events on a piano track says clearly that somthing more is going on than just notes..

Deleting controller-data is a good idea..

Stig

#26464 - 11/09/01 07:00 AM Re: Roland XP-50 Sequencer Efficiency
StringsMan Offline

Your idea worked! Data Thin did free up enough memory to allow editing. I could not hear any difference in the quality of the sequence either. Thanks for the help. This has changed my opinion of the xp-50 significantly.

Quote:
Originally posted by stigf:
10000 events on a piano track says clearly that somthing more is going on than just notes..

Deleting controller-data is a good idea..

Stig

#26465 - 11/09/01 08:47 AM Re: Roland XP-50 Sequencer Efficiency
dnarkosis Offline

Did you thin the data or erase it entirely? If you merely thinned it, your sequence may still contain data you don't need at all (controller data your patches don't respond to anyway) and that takes up memory.

Did you ever go into microscope mode to see exactly what it was you were deleting? I'm curious to know what it was.

For all you know, you may have been deleting the winning lottery numbers for tomorrow night . . .

#26466 - 11/10/01 12:48 PM Re: Roland XP-50 Sequencer Efficiency
StringsMan Offline

I went back to look at what was using up all that space in my song. The culprit was Pitch Bend! I didn't know of a way to count the total events for this bastard, but in the first measure alone was PB 220 events. I didn't count the second measure but it look similar.

As far as the lotto goes, the PB values that were common were 288 and 320. I think I will try those tonight.

Thanks for all the help.

Quote:
Originally posted by dnarkosis:
Did you thin the data or erase it entirely? If you merely thinned it, your sequence may still contain data you don't need at all (controller data your patches don't respond to anyway) and that takes up memory.

Did you ever go into microscope mode to see exactly what it was you were deleting? I'm curious to know what it was.

For all you know, you may have been deleting the winning lottery numbers for tomorrow night . . .

#26467 - 11/10/01 01:18 PM Re: Roland XP-50 Sequencer Efficiency
dnarkosis Offline

I would delete (using the edit function, not manual delete in microscope mode) *all* data in your tracks that you did not intentionally enter yourself, especially stuff like (as you found) pitch bend, any CCs (like mod or something) if you didn't intend them to be there, and especially Poly Aft and Channel Aft, which are real easy to enter inadvertently. Delete *all* of that stuff and see how your memory looks then.

#26468 - 11/12/01 11:20 AM Re: Roland XP-50 Sequencer Efficiency
StringsMan Offline

Thanks for the tip. I feel like I'm getting pretty good with the xp50. Is there a way to adjust the volume of the individual patches in the sequence? I have my song in the format that I want, but the organ is much louder than the piano, and the strings is louder than the oohs. I didn't see anything under EDIT that dealt with volume. The closest variable was velocity and that didn't seem to work. By the way, my manual just came in but from what I see, you guys are much more helpful.

#26469 - 11/12/01 04:25 PM Re: Roland XP-50 Sequencer Efficiency
dnarkosis Offline

Yeah, it'd probably be best if you looked in the manual to familiarize yourself with performance mode and all the ways you can adjust various parameters for the parts = instruments. Much of it is just adjusting numbers in certain screens. Edit is something different, and is not really what you're looking for.

What you want to adjust is Part Volume; you can either do it manually or use (send) CC 7 to lower the part volume. There's also CC 11, expression, but that depends on how you have a couple of other performance parameters set up. For now, just look at Part Volume for the organ part.

BTW: since you are just getting the XP50 going, you'd probably find a *lot* of good intro help at http://www.rolandus.com/SUPPORT/DOCS/SUPNOTES.HTM

Look toward the bottom for the XP50 files. Good stuff.

Good luck.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online