SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#26709 - 12/18/01 02:53 AM Please help
Sirrocco Offline

Hi,

My name is Simon and I live in the uk, I have just brought a second hand XP50 and I am in the process of developing sounds for a live set. I am having real problems with the volume of each individual patch. Could you please tell me the best way of matching the levels of the sounds so that no more engineers scream at me while playing live

Thank you in advance

Rocco

#26710 - 12/18/01 07:51 AM Re: Please help
Stalker Offline

Loc: Germany
Hi!
I don't have such weird problems... . Do only the user-sounds make these problems or all sounds? If this only hppens with the user-sounds, look at the patch(-volume)-level, maybe there's something wrong. If this happens with all sounds, I must admit that I propably can't help You.

#26711 - 12/18/01 08:36 AM Re: Please help
stillme Offline

Loc: Michigan/US
Hey Simon,
I have an xp 80. I just discovered that you can turn the gain down on individual patches. Read your manual. Sometimes the gain is way higher than the other sounds on the keyboard. I think it's in the Performance/effects area when you go into your menus. There's +6,+12,0,-6,-12. It's in there somewhere. I'll take a look at mine later and figure out exactly how to get to it, then let you know on here. Sorry I couldn't be of better use, but I'm at work.

-Tracey

PS: The gain isn't the same as the part levels.
PS: Okay, I read my manual. I think it might be the same on your keyboard. You go into Patch/WG...then there is a wave gain for each individual tone. If you can get to this menu through performance...do it. Remember that you hit the "common" F key option if you want the gain to apply to all of the tones in that patch. Let me know if this helps.

-Tracey

[This message has been edited by stillme (edited 12-18-2001).]

[This message has been edited by stillme (edited 12-19-2001).]

#26712 - 12/20/01 02:21 AM Re: Please help
Sirrocco Offline

Thanks for all your help

I am contemplating buying some expansion boards for the XP50, does anyone know what they are like especially the keyboards of the 60's and 70's

Cheers

Rocco

#26713 - 12/20/01 03:29 AM Re: Please help
Stalker Offline

Loc: Germany
I've heared the "Keyboards of the 70's and 80's"-Expansion.
It contains mostly organs and e-pianos. Besides there are mellotron and some weired sounds like the klicking, cracking and rustling of a vinyl-record. Maybe someone can use this for anything... .

There are no old synth-sounds! And I think the organs do not sound very different to those that are on board.

#26714 - 12/20/01 05:36 AM Re: Please help
stillme Offline

Loc: Michigan/US
Okay, I think I was wrong. I had to look in my book again.

In patch mode, you have to go into WG PRM. Then, it is easier to go into the palette so you can see all the tones. Each one has a wave gain switch. Then, if you want to apply the wave gain to the entire patch, push common. Sorry for the mess-up. I'm still learning myself. I think I'll forever be studying this xp manual!

-TM

#26715 - 12/20/01 10:38 AM Re: Please help
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
OK. Here's something to consider. If you make these changes to the patches, they'll need to be saved in user locations, or you'll need to do it every single time you need that patch. I haven't noticed the problem that much with my xp80. You might consider buying a stereo compressor/limiter to run your synthe through. That might help equalize the volume fluctuations you're experiencing.
As far as the 60s 70s board, while some of the organ sounds are similar to stock sounds, most imo are much better. Plus there are many organ samples with real leslie applied, so you don't need to use the soso simulation in the XP FX. Rhodes sounds are a bit noisy sometimes, and they don't really hammer. They're more ballad or jazz oriented. Wurlis are pretty good. I've tweaked a couple rhodes and wurli sounds to get them more authentic, at least to me they sound more authentic. I like the board a lot, because the XP stock sounds rhodes don't sound anything like the real thing, and it doesn't even have wurlis. This board has helped a lot. i just wish the organs and rhodes could be made a bit more gritty. I'm looking to buy a preamp for that purpose. I'd really miss the expansion board if it went wrecked somehow, which I doubt.

#26716 - 12/21/01 01:20 AM Re: Please help
Sirrocco Offline

Thanks everyone for your help and advice, I think now I may be able to overcome the problem.

Another thing, I have spent the past few months downloading patches off the net and I have a large collection but I was wondering if there was a fresh new site where I could download more recent patches.......................any suggestions?

#26717 - 12/21/01 05:39 PM Re: Please help
FAEbGBD Offline

There's a place called synthefood.com. It costs a few dollars for their user banks, but they say it's all new and interesting patches they have developed.
I've not tried it, because I have several downloaded patches as well and I create lots of my own.

#26718 - 12/21/01 05:49 PM Re: Please help
FAEbGBD Offline

Sorry, it's not synthefood.com. Here is the url: http://www.btinternet.com/~synthfood/index.html

Costs $20. I don't know how they go about international orders though, but you might look.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online