SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#26749 - 12/06/00 09:45 AM Do you REALLY need a Drum and Bass card when you have got the XV series?
dEjAzz Offline

Hi there. I was just fiddling around with my XV5080 and were quite impressed with the drums. I personally have played with the D & B exp. card before. Therefore, my question is do you really need this card, with only Drum and Bass sound, and nothing else? Replies are welcome as I will decide whether it is worth to fork out some money for this card . Thanx.

------------------
dEjAzz, the ROLAND fReak

#26750 - 12/06/00 10:00 AM Re: Do you REALLY need a Drum and Bass card when you have got the XV series?
dEjAzz Offline

Check out the "XV Jazz kit". don't u think it is better than the one on the Drum and Bass card?

#26751 - 12/06/00 08:16 PM Re: Do you REALLY need a Drum and Bass card when you have got the XV series?
feefer Offline

Loc: XV-5080
Hi,

The SRX -02 "Dynamic Drums" card is a step above the XV preset kits (which are good, anyway), but I find the XV bass presets to be a bit weak as they stand.

I'm holding off on buying the older "bass and drums" SR-JV card until seeing if Roland releases a SRX "Bass/Guitar" card.

Chris

#26752 - 12/07/00 11:22 AM Re: Do you REALLY need a Drum and Bass card when you have got the XV series?
dEjAzz Offline

Thanx, Chris. Your comment saved me from buying the board. I am going to check out the SRX-drum board tomorrow or next week. BTW, may I know which XV do you own? I currently own an XP80 and XV5080, if u r talking about Roland gears. I own a Proteus 2, Morpheus and a PROcussion module as well. But since I got the XV, now those EMU gears sounds useless.......really.

#26753 - 12/07/00 12:05 PM Re: Do you REALLY need a Drum and Bass card when you have got the XV series?
epu Offline

I'm sorry about couldn't disagree anymore than I already am with the comments thus far on this post. The Bass & Drums (not "Drum & Bass) is a must have for the JV/XP or XV.

The XVs drums kits are good, but there isn't that much of a variety on it by itself. The SRX2 Drum card is superb. On the other hand, the basses on the B&D card rock! There is so much of a variety and so much realism. I've messed with a few samplers to and still am amazed at the quality and variety of the Basses in the B&D.

The B&D card would only be even more powerful in the XV because of the Stereo tone switching allowed on the XV. On the XV with an SRX2, the B&D would still come in hndy, especially with 100+ bass sounds.

BTW, I use an SC880 for the synth bass sounds, there's just as much vintage stuff on that module as the SRJV04 Vintage card.

The Infamous EPU.

#26754 - 12/11/00 02:55 AM Re: Do you REALLY need a Drum and Bass card when you have got the XV series?
Korgasm Offline

Loc: Australia
I also think the bass sounds are weak in the stock XV's- I was expecting better especially considering they went to town in improving the acoustic guitars (the best of any synth IMHO!). The bass/drum card has the BEST bass sounds out there this side of a sampler and also the drum kits contain samples not available in the stock XV's ROM- I use this board more than any other (it's in my JV1080) but I'm interested to know about the quality of the guitar and drum sounds in the COUNTRY expansion board- to me this seems Roland's answer to that supposed guitar and drums board that was to be released earlier on- I haven't heard this board yet so any opinions would be appreciated as I have one more slot in my XV3080 yet to fill!!!!!!!! Cheers.

#26755 - 12/12/00 05:33 AM Re: Do you REALLY need a Drum and Bass card when you have got the XV series?
dEjAzz Offline

Korgasm, IMHPO, I think the Country Card has definitely got some good loops and violins and banjo. But, compare this to the Latin card, the guitar on the Country card I think it does not sound as smooth. I personally prefer the Latin card. But, bear in mind, if you DO do a lot of Bluegrass and Country song sequencing, the Country card is a good buy. Check out the violin loops!

------------------
dEjAzz, the ROLAND fReak

#26756 - 12/26/00 01:07 PM Re: Do you REALLY need a Drum and Bass card when you have got the XV series?
David Green Offline

Loc: BC, Canada
Hi,

If you own an XV-5080, look at the Roland L-CDX and Spectrasonics Drum/Bass/Rhythm CDs as well.
The quality of the samples is better than the internal/expansion ROM sounds (44k vs 32k).

David
* Roland & Cakewalk Resources and Roland Newsgroups: http://www.lilchips.com *

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online