SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#26817 - 01/11/02 05:52 AM Answer me this... (please) :)
stillme Offline

Loc: Michigan/US
This is the stuff I'm talking about...
Page 39 in the xp 80/60 manual, CH 3, Creating your own sounds:

IN PERFORMANCE MODE/GM MODE
The EFX, Chorus and Reverb effects can be set individually for each performance and GM mode. The intensity of each effect will be set for each part (fig. 1), but the Send Level setting for each Tone can also influence effect intensity (fig. 2).
Effects settings of the Patch assigned to each Part will be ignored, but EFX applied to a Patch assigned to a given part can also be applied to the entire performance.

QUESTION: (Am I being dense??)
Does this mean that you have to apply the effects, in performance mode, to each part? Or that whatever effects you set in performance mode will affect ALL parts?
Is there a way you can adjust the effects for EACH part, without affecting ALL the other parts? (For example...If you want reverb turned up on one part, but you don't want any reverb on another...)

It seems to me that a performance would be useless if you can't adjust the effects settings for each individual track. Who wants the SAME settings for the WHOLE performance?? Like, if I want my piano to be clear and brite with no reverb, but I want my strings to have a deeper, more ominous sound...how do I do it if I can't adjust each part seperately?

-Tracey

[This message has been edited by stillme (edited 01-11-2002).]

#26818 - 01/11/02 09:35 AM Re: Answer me this... (please) :)
dnarkosis Offline

Loc: usa
Tracey:

There are archived posts somewhere on this site that basically explain all of this. I *hope* they weren't vaporized in the famous black-hole incident a while back.

No, you don't have to have the same reverb send level for all parts. One part can be completely dry, the other completely wet. But all parts do use the same reverb and chorus type + all their *global* settings (depth, rate, etc.) (and the same insert EFX, but that's another story).

What you are interested in is the reverb and chorus send levels.

Be careful with your terminology so we can keep things straight: "EFX" refers to the insert EFX = one of the 40 EFX. "Effects" generally refers only to reverb and chorus, not the 40 insert EFX.

For now, try to find the back posts on this subject. If they don't turn up, we can try to do a simplified how-to explanation.

#26819 - 01/12/02 10:43 AM Re: Answer me this... (please) :)
stillme Offline

Hi,
Sorry. The problem is just trying to find the answers or the topics in this forum. I know you must answer the same questions over and over again...
I guess I'll look back a few months or something.

-Tracey

#26820 - 01/12/02 03:43 PM Re: Answer me this... (please) :)
dnarkosis Offline

Tracey:

*Never* any need to apologize on this forum. We have all had to learn things "the first time," and there's always yet something else to learn the first time. Apologies not accepted.

So . . . I think I understand your question. Let me sit down at my XP a bit, look things over, and try to come up with a how-to answer that is *not* so long-winded.

You *can* do what you're asking.

#26821 - 01/13/02 11:53 AM Re: Answer me this... (please) :)
dnarkosis Offline

Here is a simplified explanation of the reverb/chorus possibilities from Ben Tubb's famous JV/XP site at
http://www.geocities.com/Nashville/9958/jvxp.html

specifically http://www.geocities.com/Nashville/9958/text/002.txt

>>>A Performance Preset contains several level/send values for each patch made from among the following.<<<

>>>1) Patch Tone Reverb and Chorus Send Levels
2) Patch Common Reverb and Chorus Levels

3) Performance Part Reverb and Chorus Send Levels
4) Performance Reverb and Chorus Levels<<<

>>>And the above is independent of CC91 and CC93 controller data being sent to a Part's Assigned MIDI Channel to affect Reverb
and Chorus respectively.<<<

>>>When a Performance Part Output Assign is set to PAT (Patch), stages 1, 2 and 4 apply. When set to MIX, only stages 3-4 apply.<<<

So the simplest method is to set *all* your Part Output Assigns to MIX [Disregard any insert EFX for now] *except* part 10, your Rhythm Kit, because you do* want to be able to have different rhythm kit instruments to have different reverb/chorus settings (just as they are assigned in the rhythm kit already).

>>>When set to EFX, stages 3-4 AND the Performance EFX Reverb and Chorus Send levels REPLACE those of stage 3.<<<

= Don't set *any* part output assign to EFX for now.

>>>Since the synth's MASTER values and output are controlled at stage 4, if they are 0 then the values of the other stages
are irrelevent.<<<

That is, even if the Part levels for chorus and reverb are sky high, setting the global performance reverb/chorus levels to 0 silences all those earlier values.

>>>These MASTER values are normally set to 64 on GS and XG compatibles.<<<

So that's a good place to start. The XP initializes a default value of 127, though.

>>>The other "submix" values then act as proportions among each other.<<<

That is, it's a balancing act between PART reverb and chorus levels and GLOBAL PERFORMANCE reverb and chorus levels.

The easiest way to see what's going on is to spend some time examining and playing with the settings on an initialized default performance.

(1) Performance mode -> Utility -> 3. Initialize -> Default -> Execute.

(2) Press Effects, then Chorus or Reverb, and look at the level settings. This is stage 4 discussed above. 127 = full tilt.

(3) Press Exit to get back to the main performance screen.

(3) Press Part -> Effects -> Palette

(4) Look at all the reverb levels and chorus levels for parts 1-8 and 9-16; they're all = 0.

(5) Stay in the Palette. Play part one (a *dry* piano part). Now turn the Reverb Send Level up to 127 and play the part.

Whoa. Massively wet reverb. Turn the reverb level down and see what happens to the reverb wash.

Now note that ALL parts except 10 have their output assign set to MIX. The bypass any insert EFX (and their settings) and just respond to what's on the screen there in palette mode.

Part 10 = rhythm output sign = PATCH. That's so the individual rhythm instruments in your kit can be wet or dry.

Remember: You can check the GLOBAL performance reverb/chorus settings by going back to the performance main screen and pressing Effects. If the palette comes up again, press Part and then Effects and you'll go back to the global Performance effects. And again: these GLOBAL settings (especially LEVEL) affect how much or little reverb/chorus you can squeeze out with your PART levels. If the GLOBAL setting is 0, even a PART SEND LEVEL of 127 will yield NO reverb or chorus.

Finally: CC91 and CC93 enable you to change the PART reverb/chorus SEND LEVELs using a controller message. Send a CC91 message of 92 to part 1, and the reverb send level of part 1 changes to 92 (or whatever value you send). That easy.

This is already too long again.

Fool around with the settings in this initialized performance to see what's going on, then compare the settings in your favorite preset performances.

Tracey, does this answer your questions above?

"It seems to me that a performance would be useless if you can't adjust the effects settings for each individual track"

You don't adjust the reverb/chorus levels for each TRACK, but rather for each PART = MIDI channel. You can have all 16 parts (channels) on one track and still adjust the reverb/chorus levels for each part individually.

#26822 - 01/15/02 04:27 PM Re: Answer me this... (please) :)
stillme Offline

Well, I'll have to print that out and read it a few times, but I think it does answer a large amount of my inqueries. Also, I'm realizing more and more that the whole thing with learning the XP is the same as learning anything else...learning the steps and what direction everything goes in. I've learned a heck of a lot since July, 2001 though!
Thanks again. I really appreciate your help. Oh, and I'm sorry for apologizing so much. Take care!

-Tracey

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online