SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#26956 - 04/06/00 03:11 PM XV Module
Heyoop Offline

Will Roland introduced another module about the same size of the JV1010 and called it XV5050? Let me know if anybody have this rumor.

#26957 - 04/07/00 12:18 AM Re: XV Module
bertol Offline

Loc: Campinas, SP, Brazil
Unfortunatelly, no.

I received the complete catalog of the new products line, and just have the XV3080 & 5080 in the synt modules.

The basic differences in the 3080 and 5080 are the size of display, the number of conectors, the expansion slots, and the incredible scsi port and sample play back capacity of 5080.

Check this out !

#26958 - 04/07/00 03:45 AM Re: XV Module
Korgasm Offline

Loc: Australia
Roland give us a SCSI port on the 5080- and allow us to expand it's RAM up to 128MB of RAM- so why didn't they just go the whole hog and give us full sampling capabilities??????????

It's almost like getting 1st to the end of the pool in a swimming race and then someone dumping a whole lot of concret on you to make you sink!!!!!!!!

This is just IMHO.

#26959 - 04/07/00 10:06 AM Re: XV Module
Heyoop Offline

That's why I'm wondering!!! Why are those modules doesn't have that full sampling capabilities. It's all house in a huge heavy 2 space rack mounted style while all its features can fit in a half rack module. People will love new sounds, new tecnology but they will think about the cost. I think Roland should redesigned and come up with much affordable VX's. XV's are sounding great.

#26960 - 04/07/00 12:01 PM Re: XV Module
fvicente Offline

Loc: Port Moody, BC, Canada
Hi,

Roland *do* have a bunch of affordable XV's - they are the JV's. Really, when you look at it, the technology has not changed. Roland has simply added some features, added some better fx and the ability to load Roland and Akai sample libraries (in the case of the XV-5080). They've added some more waveforms and kept *all* of the old ones.

The comment of "It's all house in a huge heavy 2 space rack mounted style while all its features can fit in a half rack module" does not seem to fit here. A few years ago (before the JV-1080), everyone would have been oohing and aah-ing over these units. Sadly, there is not much that is new. The only thing you'll be missing out on really IMHO is the ability to load in Roland samples (buy a used S-760 and you'll have sampling capability as well) and the new 64 MB cards. Only time will tell if Roland will release many of these new cards or not. Aside from that, these machines are re-packaged JV's with more polyphony, better fx and a few more sounds (not many more).

For non-JV owners, I'd say that these units are great and, if you can afford them, it would be great to do that. For current JV owners, they don't give you much more than what you have now. You'd be better off keeping your money or buying something else.

Just MHO,
Fernando

#26961 - 04/08/00 07:20 AM Re: XV Module
Korgasm Offline

Fernando- To me the XV series are an evolutionery rather than a revolutionery step up from the JV modules. The sounds/waveforms etc IMHO were starting to get a bit long in the tooth (been around since 1994!) just like with the Korg AI2 synthes.

However, after playing and XV3080 today, I must say that these definetly sound BETTER than the JV1080 or JV2080. I sold one of my 1080's to put money towards an XV3080 and after today I'm sure glad I didn't save a few hundred quid and get the JV2080. The new waveforms are much better (such as the pianos, drums, guitars etc). The acoustic guitars are the most REALISTIC I've heard in any synthe with the slides that you can bring in with velocity or aftertouch. The drums are much improved (the JV's suffered in the drum sounds department from day 1 IMHO). These sounds whilst much better still don't rival the Korg Triton for variety- guess I'll be buying the new drum board when I can afford it. The new piano patches are miles ahead of the JV patches (and I've never been a fan of factory acoustic piano sounds in synthes). It's nice to find some straight rhodes and wurlitzer patches rather than the processed ones available in the older JV units. The strings are of the same quality as those in the orchestral boards IMHO as is the brass.

I love the sound search function and the screen is also easy to read (for someone who is vision impaired such as myself!!!!).

I would have loved at least a couple of real time controller knobs on the front panel (like the Korg N1R, Alesis S4plus, Yamaha FS1R etc), but still I'll assign parameters to my Triton's controllers anyway!

Me personally, I'm glad I sold one of my 1080's to get the XV. I don't need the extra features of the 5080 (and I'm particularly dissapointed that they didn't deck it out with full on sampling facilities!). However, if the JV's do it for you, don't think you are missing out a huge amount by not owning an XV! Besides some better waveforms, new effects, more patches, sound search function and slightly improved user interface, the biggest advantage is the doubled polyphony!

To be brutally honest, I could get by very happily with just this module hooked up to my Triton! I will put the techno and hip hop boards from my sold JV into this module and add 2 more boards (most probably the orchestral 11 and I'll make a choice out of the session, country or latin boards when I can afford them). The drum card is definetly coming and I'll check out the 64MB piano board also. Lets hope Roland bring out heaps more 64MB expansion boards.

Some titles this I suggest could be-

Orchestral 111.
Dance/techno/hiphop.
World/ethnic.
Guitar/bass.
Vintage keyboards/synthes 11 (this would be a real goer!).

Anyway, I will certainly be making the XV3080 a major part of my set up!

#26962 - 04/08/00 07:26 AM Re: XV Module
Korgasm Offline

A couple of more things regarding XV3080-

a). Roland should have given the 3080 the same expansion board capabilities as the 5080 (with 4 of each kind). Only 2 of the 64MB boards can be installed at once and I find this a tad tight!

b). Whilst I'm glad that the XV's are fully compatible with the JV's, why did Roland have to rehash the exact same older presets (1st 3 patch banks) rather than giving us completely new sounds? Yes I know that it might attrack the JV owners to trade up without fear of losing old patches but hey, lets move on in the new mellinium! This is just IMHO!. Cheers.

#26963 - 04/08/00 08:11 AM Re: XV Module
epu Offline

Oh c'mon guys? Do we really have to choke and go belly up everytime a new technology comes along. I really do agree with the guy who said the XV is just a repackage. The 64MB Boards do look tasty, but we should use the new line of synths as an excuse to buy some more JVs and XPs at cheaper prices and rack up as many SRJV Boards at very low prices.

A fully expanded XP or JV should put you in the XV ball park. Obviously they don't saound bad if you bought the JV/XP in the first place. The Bass and Drum board is great and the amount of money you'd save would be staggering.

Want sample play back? Why not get a used Roland s700. That sampler does exactly what the XV5080 does - Sample play back and not sampling. Best of all, I've seen these go for about $600 and the screen and editing options on that module (S700) are more extensive and appealing. Just my opinion.

I think I'll take advantage of the falling prices, we will get more for the money. This isn't 1987. We knew that the D50 and D20 weren't totally realistic. This isn't the case with the XP's. They are right on the money - or at least a few feet away from it.

#26964 - 04/08/00 10:13 AM Re: XV Module
Morten Jensen Offline

Loc: birkeparken 172 5240 odense n...
I suggest expansion board 64 MB SRX with Vintage synths and drum machines.
Samme samples as sr jv 04 with more analog samples(like the system 700...) and mayby fairlight cmi/synclavier, and drum machines from 808 to simmons SDX.

#26965 - 04/08/00 11:38 AM Re: XV Module
Morten Jensen Offline

Loc: birkeparken 172 5240 odense n...
I like this on card or CD rom for XV with vintage synths like this :
ARP 2500.
ARP 2600.
ARP odysey.
Elka synthex.
EMS synthi aks.
Failight cmi.
Korg ps 3300.
Korg trident.
Moog 55.
Memorymoog.
Minimoog
Oberheim OBxa.
Oberheim matrix 12.
Prophet 5.
Rsf kobolt.
Roland system 700.
Roland jupiter 8.
Roland mks 80.
Roland mks 70.
roland juno.
Synclavier.
and Yamaha cs 80.
And over 100 patches(2200) from each synth that is my dream and that can be call vintage synths part 1 and part 2 can have dance synths like TB 303....

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online