SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#27021 - 08/02/00 01:13 AM Roland should release a SRX vocal card
Cosmic Dreamer Offline

Loc: Hasselt, Limburg, Belgium
.........Wouldnt that be nice? Except for the fact that they need to update from their srjv80vocal board in many ways.

These "halleluja" hooks were quite useless (in my opinion), choirs were kind of great but with the dynamic capabilities of the xv series they should be able to make sepparate breath dynamics, inhalations and breaths for each type of voice, single , young female breaths, male breaths, unisono breaths and all that kind of things. Accompanied with lots of ooohs, aahs, Mmmmms, vowel transitions and gregorian things, just likee on sample CD's they could pull of one big fat bomb of a vocal board for the xv series no?

------------------

#27022 - 08/02/00 06:54 AM Re: Roland should release a SRX vocal card
feefer Offline

Loc: XV-5080
Quote:
Originally posted by Cosmic Dreamer:
.........Wouldnt that be nice? Except for the fact that they need to update from their srjv80vocal board in many ways.

Hi CD and all,

My concern with the new SRX boards is that they have the capability to quickly become a CLICHE if they overdo the matrix modulation/velocity layering.

For example, some of the XV-88 acoustic guitars sound good, but I soon realized they have a good chance of become as cliche as the DX-7 Rhoades sounds of the 80's (and some of the rap "yeah" and "doo-waps" on some Roland gear already has become. An absolute waste of ROM memory, IMHO). The pitch bend stuff is just too characteristic....

I think the piano board has the right approach: good basic waveforms that sound as realistic as possible, without too much coloration or 'tricks'. The SRX cards will become dated in short order if Roland does that.

Regards,
Chris

#27023 - 08/02/00 12:35 PM Re: Roland should release a SRX vocal card
Cosmic Dreamer Offline

Loc: Hasselt, Limburg, Belgium
Hi,

Well you're right, i'm not so freaked out with these jazz scat thingies either..

Did you ever listen to the intro movie of descent 3 or did you hear the vocals in the beginning of the movie "a perfect murder"?

If they could pull THAT off at roland, that would be great as an expansionboard

------------------

#27024 - 08/04/00 07:15 AM Re: Roland should release a SRX vocal card
Korgasm Offline

Loc: Australia
The fact of various factory sounds becoming cliched is just a fact of life unfortunately. I love the new XV guitars but I also thought the same thing- they will be used by some up and coming R&B outfit within the next 2 months that's for sure!!!!

I'm personally quite dissapointed with the SRX drums board- not that it sounds bad (it sounds fantastic!) but just there is not the variety of new drum sounds I had hoped for. We should have gotten some more variations of processed drum sounds as well as the acoustic sets and waveforms. I think $800.00 Aussie is just a bit too expensive for some extra hi-quality drum sounds and I'll patiently wait a while for their price to come down before I buy this board- mabey if it was $300.00 Aussie- yep, thanks to our lovely weak dollar and the new GST that was supposed to make things cheaper- I'M DREAMIN'!!!! Cheers.

#27025 - 08/04/00 10:37 AM Re: Roland should release a SRX vocal card
feefer Offline

Loc: XV-5080
Hi all,

You all probably know this, but Roland's philosophy for the SRX boards is to produce cards with fewer sounds but better quality samples. This is to counter the trend of some manufacturers to load up memory with tons of crappy-sounding samples (1,024 samples! WOW!!! They forget to mention that none sound very good).

With the SRX, Roland is moving sample board organization away from style-driven (i.e. dance, techno, country, etc.)to an instrument organization (piano, drums, etc.).

With that in mind, I'd think a guitar/bass (and a brass/sax) board are in the future, as well as an orchestral board.

Regards,
Chris

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online