SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#27083 - 12/29/01 12:29 AM Re: Newbie Introductions
RexGTRZ Offline

Loc: Toronto
Hi, I'm new here, I just bought a JV-1080 and I own a Kurzweil K2500x as my master keyboard.

#27084 - 01/06/02 04:53 AM Re: Newbie Introductions
bluesboy2003 Offline

Loc: Athens, GA, USA
Wow, glad to see that people are still posting here (especially you Rory!) I just got back from winter break. Time to get crackin' on my XP-60 again.

Stillme: Wow, I'm sorry that we suffer the same problem, but it's nice to know that there's somebody else out there like that too! ;-)

#27085 - 01/14/02 02:36 PM Re: Newbie Introductions
Mister Bushice Offline

Loc: Canyon Lake, Ca. USA
Hi! I'm a new guy here. I was a live performance Musician for 17 years, and I "semi-retired" from it to focus on my family more. Over the years I've collected a bunch of music equipment and I am now building a Recording studio in my home.
I've been reading all about the XP synths you have been talking about, but I don't know much about them.

Can anyone give me the nickel tour of the XP synth, in terms of what it does best, why it is so popular, etc. I'd love to know more about it.

BTW, I own a JV 880, and a Juno 106, as well as a Roland ep-7.

Thanks,

Bushice

#27086 - 01/15/02 03:54 AM Re: Newbie Introductions
stigf Offline

Loc: Tromsų, Norway
Hi

Bluesboy2003:
I'm still here. I'm just very busy periodically, so I don't get the time to post.. But this forum is NOT dying; actually I think there is a better "tone" herethan ever, and the discussions are meaningful..

Mister Bushice:
There are 5 models in the XP-family of synths: XP-10, 30, 50, 60 and 80. The XP-10 is a beginners GM/GS-synth. The XP-50 is the oldest in the family, it is a workstation like the 60 and 80. It is very popular, but is said to have a less than perfect user-interface. The XP-30 is a non-workstation model in close relation to the 60 and 80. The 60 and 80 are the top models in the family. The difference is that the XP-60 has 61 keys while the XP-80 has 76; other than that they are identical. I own an XP-60.

The XPs strenghts are that they are good at so many types of sounds. They do both emulative and pure electronic sounds well. This is paired with (in my opinion) a good user interface and high build-quality. The synth-engine is VERY powerful compared to that of Korg Triton/Karma.

The weakness of the XPs are that they are very "conservative" in many respects: Few effect-processors, no sampling or analog modelling etc. Because of this, some people find the synths "boring". My opinion is that my XP-60 is a pure PCM synth and workstation. It can not do absolutely everything, but it is good at what it does!

Oh, and one more thing that has made the XP-60/80 so popular is the keyboard itself! It is great!

Stig

#27087 - 01/15/02 04:10 AM Re: Newbie Introductions
stigf Offline

Hi!

One more thing:
It seems that almost everbody here have made a living from music? I'm just an amateur. Have just played at home; I started playing keyboard at the age of 7-8 years.. That is actually 20 years ago..

Well, I'm not actually a newbie on this forum, but I can introduce myself anyway..
As I mentioned, I am not a professional musician.. I am an engineer working with maps, surveying, geographical information systems etc.

I live in the northern part of Norway, at almost 70 degrees north.. Someone mentioned here the short days in Bremen; well we have not seen the sun here since late november, and it will be below the horizon until the end of this month..

Stig

#27088 - 01/15/02 05:53 AM Re: Newbie Introductions
Stalker Offline

Loc: Germany
Hi!

I'm no professional either. I'm studying to become an engineer in "Betriebstechnik" (to create the technical interior of buildings and do the maintenance). Before that I was a plumber for four years.
The music takes place only as a hobby, but it would be nice to earn some money with it.

All right, Stig, You have won. Compared to You I am living in Africa . But Bluesboy is living quite southern, so I thought I would live in the north.
But one thing: I'm some kind of a norwegian, too. Nine month before I was born my parents were on holiday with a chartered 25 feet boat. One night they anchored in the Oslofjord, and it was a cold night... . No Joke, this is the truth!

Greetings
Nils

#27089 - 01/15/02 01:07 PM Re: Newbie Introductions
Mister Bushice Offline

Loc: Canyon Lake, Ca. USA
Stig,

Thanks for the info on the XP, that's just what I was looking for!

I have a pretty good equipment setup although some of it is older. I have an 8 Track Tascam Portastudio, the three aforementioned synths, as well as a dual 31 band Graphic EQ, a two channel compressor/limiter, an SPX90II Effects box, a variety of footpedal effects, an electric guitar, a bass, and several acoustic guitars and amps. I am using an Old Mac Classic computer with EZvision software to record and edit all of the electronic parts. I debated buying a new computer or using my Windows PC, but when I pulled the old Mac out of the closet where it has been gathering dust and fired it up, I swear it runs faster and smoother than my hotshot Windows Machine! The software is simple, easy to use, and provides full editing features, including easy on screen note manipulation for placement, duration, and intensity. I'm not a great Keyboard player -I'm OK, so when I have any complex parts I need those editing facilities!!

I'm in the process of hooking all this stuff up together. I have a 32 point patch bay, but I need to buy some more good cables. with all those wires it is much too confusing to figure out what goes where!

As a side note, my Main Keyboard is the Roland EP-7. It has 76 weighted, touch sensitive keys, 5 built in sounds (Digital & Electric Pianos, Vibraphone, Organ & Strings), and it has reverb and chorus, as well as the ability to record up to four song segments, including overdubs, and tempo control. I bought it because I wanted the feel of a real piano, it was not expensive, and with its midi capability I figured I could access any sounds I want. It was a good purchase, I think. Not fancy, but rugged and stable.

BTW, I live in Southern California, about an hour from San Diego up in the foothills. Right now it is our "winter", but the only way you can really tell that is by the snow caps on the distant mountains! Day time temps are between 65 - 80, and at night between 40-50. I don't think I could go without the sun for 3 months!

Take Care,

Bushice

#27090 - 01/15/02 01:36 PM Re: Newbie Introductions
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
Hey Bushice, what acoustics do you have and what do you like? I'm in the market for a very good acoustic. I'm just using my Dad's Ovation for now, but I don't like the rounded backs, and it sounds good plugged in but not just acoustic.
I've tried some of the expensive Taylors and honestly don't like them much. I think I've come to the opinion that I don't want a cutaway. That just robs too much sound. Do you have any thoughts as to a nice acoustic-electric that I might look into that has no cutaway? Or maybe I'll just need to buy a nice acoustic and put electronics in it myself. What think you? I know this is such a matter of opinion, but I'm just looking for ideas.

#27091 - 01/16/02 12:05 AM Re: Newbie Introductions
stigf Offline

Stalker:
Wow, so you are almost norwegian then? Not bad!

I just HAD to comment it when you mentioned the short days and everything.. I would not say you are living in Africa compared to me, but you are FAR south all right..

Me, I'm just waiting for the sun to return... Did you know that a big part of the population here suffer from various sleep-problems, depressions etc due to the lack of daylight in winter??

Stig

#27092 - 01/16/02 07:03 AM Re: Newbie Introductions
Stalker Offline

Loc: Germany
Quote:
Originally posted by stigf:
Stalker:
Wow, so you are almost norwegian then? Not bad!

No, I like it, too!
Quote:

I just HAD to comment it when you mentioned the short days and everything.. I would not say you are living in Africa compared to me, but you are FAR south all right..

No, problem, it was just a joke. But people who are living in northern countries are very patriotic. Not only for the country, for the north! Even here ( ) it is so. In Schleswig-Holstein there is a big Viking-Cult. Schleswig was, 1000 Years ago, the important Viking-Town "Haithabu". A very historical place, but nearly everything has been destroyed.
Quote:

Me, I'm just waiting for the sun to return... Did you know that a big part of the population here suffer from various sleep-problems, depressions etc due to the lack of daylight in winter??
Stig

Yes, I've heard about that. It is said that the north of Norway, northern Sweden and northern Finland have a high suicide rate as well.

But I think this darkness can be used very well for composing atmospheric music. Or not?

Here in Bremerhaven the sun is behind the fog today... . No big advantage of living southern... .

Greetings
Nils

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online