SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#27378 - 06/29/00 03:11 PM Sudden Distortion in outputs
Drummin'Joe Offline

Loc: PA
I hope someone can help..

When playing General MIDI files on my XP-80, the outputs(all of them)suddely get very disorted. Even if I stop the seq. and try to play a patch, it is still distorted. The only way to fix it is to turn off the power and turn it back on. It happened twice today within an hour.
Could it have something to do with Sysex messages that are sometimes in General MIDI files?
HELP ME PLEASE!

#27379 - 07/02/00 07:43 PM Re: Sudden Distortion in outputs
Drummin'Joe Offline

Gee, thanks everyone.

#27380 - 07/26/00 07:38 AM Re: Sudden Distortion in outputs
RichUK Offline

Loc: England
Hi Joe,

Although I can't help with your problem as I'm unsure as to the cause, but this has also happened to me a few times when playing GM files from the internal disk drive.

This nasty distorted sound is very loud isn't it? Enough to cause serious damage to both ears and speakers if I weren't quick enough at turning the amp down. I enquired at Roland UK about this but they hadn't heard of such a problem. I've only seen about 2 other references to this problem on the web....so maybe it is a rare one.

But think what the consequences could be if this were to happen during a gig? For this reason I'm reluctant to use the XP-80 as a sound source when playing GM files during a gig...instead relying on an SC-880.

Regards

------------------
Rich

#27381 - 07/26/00 03:24 PM Re: Sudden Distortion in outputs
Drummin'Joe Offline

Rich,

I appreciate your reply.
Yes, the sound is loud enough to damage. I've been lucky so far.
Unfortunately, the XP is my only sound source, and I'm looking into doing some "duo" gigs with it.
Maybe I'll convert the sequences over to .svq and see if that solves the problem.

Thanks again,

Joe

#27382 - 07/26/00 03:26 PM Re: Sudden Distortion in outputs
Drummin'Joe Offline

Rich,

I appreciate your reply.
Yes, the sound is loud enough to damage. I've been lucky so far.
Unfortunately, the XP is my only sound source, and I'm looking into doing some "duo" gigs with it.
Maybe I'll convert the sequences over to .svq and see if that solves the problem.

Thanks again,

Joe

#27383 - 07/27/00 03:32 AM Re: Sudden Distortion in outputs
RichUK Offline

Loc: England
Cheers Joe, let me know if you're successful in resolving this issue.

All the best

------------------
Rich

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online