SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#276980 - 11/30/09 09:23 PM what do YOU think after watching these video's?
Lucky2Bhere Offline

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9yrnxTZEfc http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNEX1ggyJww

I was watching these two demo's tonight. At first I was very impressed with everything I saw. But from there I segued into thinking about music (and playing music) in general. They triggered a myriad of thoughts in my head. I sat there for extra minutes digesting everything I just watched.

I'm curious what you guys get from watching these video's. Anything at all.....good or bad. Not just the quality of the music or the capabilities of the instrument. Anything at all that resonates in you?

I'm really interested in other opinions as I went back and forth on my own. I'm going to tell you what I thought after a few days. I just don't want to influence anyone else's thinking.

Lucky

[This message has been edited by Lucky2Bhere (edited 11-30-2009).]

#276981 - 11/30/09 10:17 PM Re: what do YOU think after watching these video's?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
The keyboard, the demonstrator and the technology is impressive, the interviewer not so much.
DonM

#276982 - 12/01/09 04:13 AM Re: what do YOU think after watching these video's?
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
First of all, I think people have forgotten what real instruments sound like if they were impressed with any of those pianos, rhodes, strings. I didn't find them amazing at all.

But more to the point, when I play, I'm remembered for my abilities on an instrument, not for the abilities of the instrument. I mean, that Korg does a lot of things, but never did I feel like I heard any music. I want people to think, what an amazing player, not, what an amazing piece of gear he's got. And that is what I was missing from those videos. I got a picture of what it does, but never got a picture of what can be done with it. Don't know if that makes sense or not.

Then there is the aspect of interacting with a machine. I certainly understand how useful and even necessary that is, but I just felt like I was being shown how to run a computer or a play station or something, and not how to play a musical instrument.

#276983 - 12/01/09 06:00 AM Re: what do YOU think after watching these video's?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
The keyboard, the demonstrator and the technology is impressive, the interviewer not so much.
DonM

I agree, but I've been to one of these 'ReMix' deals here in Atlanta and it's all about HipHop. Sadly, in the world of HipHop, that interviewer is pretty much what you're going to get. The M3, on the other hand, is a very impressive instrument, and the demonstrator does a great job of showing what it can do when in capable hands. However, for me (probably an age thing) it's way too complicated for me to ever learn it well enough to get full utility out of it; I learned that with my Fantom G7. It's narrow-minded I know, but if you can't use it on a gig, I'm not all that interested. I think most TOTL WS's are intended for studio use and for use by engineer/musicians.

JMO

chas

#276984 - 12/01/09 10:46 AM Re: what do YOU think after watching these video's?
124 Offline

Well, given that the demonstrator is there solely to sell the M3, the videos don't want to make me leap up and rush out to buy one. That said, he is selling to the hiphop segment.

But, like DonM's, FAEbGBD's, chas', in addition to Lucky's, comments have so far indicated, we are of an older school, so to speak, to whom musical ability is of a greater importance than is musical geekability.

It's a shame, really, that for most of us, me included, as we age, the less adventurous we become. Not just in music, but in many other walks of life. I'm quite convinced that the M3 is capable of many more things than were shown in the videos, even the less forward-edge music that the majority of SZ'ers like to play. It's just progression, in the same way that we progressed from any old dancehall piano to these lovely machines we play now. It's just that for most of us here, our own rate of progression is slowing down, but the technology out there is not. And so it will continue.

Have I tapped into your thoughts there, Lucky?

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online