SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#27766 - 10/22/01 08:24 AM XP-80 sequencing?
Half Savage Offline

Loc: Holland, MIchigan, USA
Maybe I'm just half-stupid but I just got an XP-80, and when I sequence a second track, the sound of the first track changes to the one I picked for the second track, then everything plays back on that sound. I've been reading the manuel, but can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. My old D-20 was so simple. Please help.

#27767 - 10/22/01 09:21 AM Re: XP-80 sequencing?
dnarkosis Offline

Loc: usa
>>the sound of the first track changes to the one I picked for the second track, then everything plays back on that sound

But how are you "picking" the sounds for the tracks in the first place? Are you just dialing them up? Sending bank and program changes? How are you "picking" that second sound?

Also (and especially): check your channels, since the sequencer may simply be playing the same channel on each track. The tracks have to have different channels to play different sounds. Or rather: the channels need to be different to play different sounds (you can have all 16 channels on the same track but playing different sounds; it's the channel number and part assignment, not the track).

Make sure your two "performance parts" are assigned different channels.

You'll have to give us a bit more information before we can help.

#27768 - 10/22/01 11:57 AM Re: XP-80 sequencing?
Stalker Offline

Loc: Germany
Sounds like You are just recording in patch-mode. You have to go to performance-mode. And don't use a "Layer-performance", use a "single-performance", for example the performance "All Strings". Only then You can record 16 tracks. But some sounds sound different to patch-mode, because now all sounds use the effects of the performance.

#27769 - 10/22/01 12:49 PM Re: XP-80 sequencing?
dnarkosis Offline

*Good* point: I just assumed H.S. was in performance mode.

#27770 - 10/25/01 08:56 AM Re: XP-80 sequencing?
drbjn Offline

I'm a new user also. Just got the seq to work for the first time last night. I had the same problem, I think. When I went to track 2 I didn't switch to part 2 as well. Make sure that each track and part match.

#27771 - 11/18/01 07:49 AM Re: XP-80 sequencing?
KenD Offline

Loc: Limassol, Cyprus
(channel use in sequencer)
Does that mean that I cannot use patch mode if want to use more than 1 patch in my sequencer at one time i.e. have to use performance mode & select a different channel no. for each sound I want to use simulataneously please?

Otherwise presume will have to continue to record each MIDI channel to audio in order to play the next MIDI sound?

------------------
Ken D.

#27772 - 11/18/01 03:52 PM Re: XP-80 sequencing?
dnarkosis Offline

"Does that mean that I cannot use patch mode if want to use more than 1 patch in my sequencer at one time"

Yes. All sequencers are like that in one form/version/variation or another.

"> i.e. have to use performance mode & select a different channel no. for each sound I want to use simulataneously please?"

Yes. Is there *any* sequencer that can address multiple instruments playing different lines on the same channel in the same synth?

"Otherwise presume will have to continue to record each MIDI channel to audio in order to play the next MIDI sound?"

Yes. But all sequencers work this way. These questions puzzle me a little bit.

Check out Roland's Supplemental Notes for all this basic information. They're pretty clear.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online