SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#27845 - 02/05/00 09:18 AM XP-30 to SB Live Value LIne-In HowTo ??
worknman Offline

Loc: TX
I'm trying to hook my XP-30 up to my SB Live Value soundcard in a way that I can get sound over the my PC speakers and to record MIDI.
I've been trying to go from the XP-30's headphone jack to the SB Live's line-in because that's how I used to do it with my old Roland D-20 and it worked flawlessly.
HOwever, with the XP-30, I just get sound from one of the speakrs. I've tried several adapters including the audio cables with the red and white ends into Y adapters, 1/4 to 1/8, and 1/4 to 1/4 with a 1/8 reducer.
Nothing has worked so far. When trying to go from the Mono output on the XP-30 to line-in, I get no sound at all.
Is there any way for me to do this without having to by any external equipment (mixer, etc) and if so, will I still be able to get stereo sound?

#27846 - 02/06/00 02:14 AM Re: XP-30 to SB Live Value LIne-In HowTo ??
baphomet Offline

Loc: Gullegem, Belgium
i've made myself a little cable that connects the left and right outputs of my XP30 to the line-in of mij SB PCI 128. That works fine for me, i get the full stereo output. I haven't tried it with the headphones output though, so I don't know if this works too.
My advice : purchase or make such a cable and it should work.

Greetings,
Baphomet

#27847 - 02/06/00 03:30 PM Re: XP-30 to SB Live Value LIne-In HowTo ??
syrupdude Offline

Loc: Austin, TX, USA
headphone jack out = muy mal

That's what your line outs are for. It sounds to me like you've only got a mono adapter going into your sb line in.

#27848 - 02/06/00 07:45 PM Re: XP-30 to SB Live Value LIne-In HowTo ??
worknman Offline

Loc: TX
Quote:
Originally posted by syrupdude:
headphone jack out = muy mal

That's what your line outs are for. It sounds to me like you've only got a mono adapter going into your sb line in.

Well, I've tried one kind of cable that plugs two 1/4 male connectors into the line outs on the XP-30 and has a 1/4 female connector at the other end. Into that, I plug a cable that has a male 1/4 on one end and a male 1/8 on the other end (for the sound card) which doesn't work.
I've spent $40+ so far on adapters and cables and think I've bought everything that Radio Shack sells.
The only thing I haven't tried is a cable with 2 male 1/4 connectors at one end (for the XP-30 line outs) and one 1/8 male connector at the other, and that's because Radio Shack doesn't sell one like that.
So what does everyone else use? Anyone have a certain brand with a certain model number ... something I can order from somewhere?

#27849 - 02/07/00 08:29 AM Re: XP-30 to SB Live Value LIne-In HowTo ??
DonaldS Offline

Loc: USA
You may have already thought of this but just in case you didn't.... does the "Y" wire that you are using, the 2 male connectors that plugs into the stereo jacks on the keyboard, combine into a STEREO female end? Most of those "Y" cables are MONO which would explain why you are only getting one channel to work.

What I use is a wire with a STEREO 1/8 inch connector at one end which plugs into the sound card, and it has 2 RCA plugs (the same connectors your stereo system uses) at the other end for left and right channels. I then use 2 "RCA to 1/4 inch" adapters that plug into the 2 outputs on the keyboard, real simple. The wire is actually something that came with a portable Sony Discman CD player and is meant to connect the Discman to a home stereo system. All the wires and adapters you need should only cost about $6 in total.

So.... are you sure those 1/8 plugs and wires that you are using are all STEREO??? You can tell if they are stereo by looking at the plug and seeing if there are either 2 or 3 contact areas on the plug. 2 = Mono, 3 = Stereo. And use the outputs of the keyboard, not the headphone one.

Again, sorry if I'm telling you something that you already know, but judging from your symptoms of only having one channel, it sounds like your cables are mono and not stereo.

D

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online