SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#27999 - 04/07/00 12:30 AM xp-50 transfer from floppy to computer
musicm Offline

Loc: los angeles, ca, usa
How can I transfer ideas that I have been storing on the floppy disk of my xp-50 to Performer on my Mac g3?

#28000 - 04/07/00 04:24 AM Re: xp-50 transfer from floppy to computer
buinu Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA USA
I'm not familiar with the XP sequencer but, barring a Sys Ex dump, all you should have to do is make sure each tracks midi transmit is enabled, set the Performer clock to external and enable the record, then hit play on the XP. There is a chance that you will have to solo each track, which means you may have to insert a note-on event on the first click of tracks that come in later or use the punch in. Depending on whether a patch change is recorded into the XP track, you may also have to define each track before dumping.

#28001 - 04/24/00 01:41 PM Re: xp-50 transfer from floppy to computer
Al_a_man Offline

Loc: U.K
Quote:
Originally posted by musicm:
How can I transfer ideas that I have been storing on the floppy disk of my xp-50 to Performer on my Mac g3?

I presume that yoiu're saving as an SVQ? (songtitle.svq) what I do is save as an SMF, although I haven't figured out the difference between the two types. SMF stands for Standard midi file.
Incidentally, do you ever have trouble, when assigning a phaser to the sliders (the sliders DO work). The phaser did have an effect, but has stopped working, and hasn't returned even after frequent resets (to factory presets). Have you had this problem/do you have any ideas? Thanx
Al

#28002 - 05/02/00 02:46 AM Re: xp-50 transfer from floppy to computer
Artcool Offline

Loc: Portugal
This have nothing to do with your questions/answers, but since you have a XP50, which is my case too, please tell me if your XP makes a very strong noise when you raise the master volume around 75% / 100%.
Thank you in advance

Artcool
Portugal

#28003 - 05/04/00 12:40 AM Re: xp-50 transfer from floppy to computer
KIKO Offline

Loc: Paris FRANCE
Yes !!!

I own XP 50, JV 2080 and so on.
TRUE. The XP 50 has background noise at 75% level.

Not to avoid it but to raise Signal/noise so that you get a better sound, whenr ecording (I own a ADAT), pout the level at 100%.
Noise is eaten but the sound. I tried at 75 % but it lacks dynamic and you get more noise than sounds.

Roland corp. says we dream or we lie... We are not dreaming. I love my XP 50 but it real has bachground noise.

Enjoy. Best regards.

#28004 - 05/04/00 12:46 AM Re: xp-50 transfer from floppy to computer
KIKO Offline

Loc: Paris FRANCE
Best way to transfer songs SVQ from XP 50 to performer :

Save on the xp 50 all your song in standart Midifiles.

Than you take your floppy(s)s and load them in the mac (HIP : don't forget XP 50 has DOS FORMATING. But new MACS now reads ok DOS FORMATING).
Than after having copied your files from xp 50 floppy to hard disk there are 2 possibilities.

Lauch Performer. Open or Import as MIDIFILE your file.

If you can't do that from Performer, it means that performer does not recognize the dos files. No problems !
Get an utility from MOTU (www.Motu.com) that allows all dos midifiles to be transformed so that then can be read and opened by Performer.

That's it.

Enjoy.

Best regards to all

#28005 - 05/04/00 12:22 PM Re: xp-50 transfer from floppy to computer
Al_a_man Offline

Loc: U.K
Quote:
Originally posted by KIKO:
Yes !!!

I own XP 50, JV 2080 and so on.
TRUE. The XP 50 has background noise at 75% level.

Not to avoid it but to raise Signal/noise so that you get a better sound, whenr ecording (I own a ADAT), pout the level at 100%.
Noise is eaten but the sound. I tried at 75 % but it lacks dynamic and you get more noise than sounds.

Roland corp. says we dream or we lie... We are not dreaming. I love my XP 50 but it real has bachground noise.

Enjoy. Best regards.

I live right next door to a substation so I don't get the chance to hear the noise over that god awful hum, you don't want to try recording in my house... However I always crank my board full and control volume through my amp on the basis that the larger the signal, the more it can be boosted without hum...
Incidentally anyone know how I can protect against the hum, I'm currently using 'guitsr' leads.
thanx
Al

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online