SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#28040 - 09/22/99 02:32 AM Help! Still got problems with XP30, AWE64G, CW setup
ballistic Offline

The culprit seems to be the AWE64G sound card. See, I use the MIDI ports to connect the XP30 to. And when I record a MIDI track to Cakewalk, some parts of the track get cut off and NOT recorded. There r also weird random patch changes and transposing and stuck notes all over the recorded track. Note I disabled the MIDI echo function, and this still happens.

Anybody also use the AWE64G? How can I solve this problem?

ALso, I would like to know if there r other XP30 users out there who noticed any misaligned keys in their XP30's. It seems that on ALL octaves, the gaps between F&G, and A&B seems a little bit too wide, while the ones between G&A r too close(the gap is kinda wedge-shaped, with the keys pulling inwards). This happens in every octave. The synth plays fine, thought at times the G and A keys scrub against each other. I want to know if this is a factory defect, or normal for all XP30's. I'm also wondering if the other XP's have this "deformity".

Thanks.

#28041 - 09/22/99 07:28 AM Re: Help! Still got problems with XP30, AWE64G, CW setup
Lior Offline

Loc: France
I've experienced the same problem with a Soundblaster Live card (and a XP30). It was a problem with the midi cable. A midi cable is not a simple cable. There is an optocoupler (I don't know if it is the right word in english) inside, and if it doesn't work well, it can make the midi connexion between the synth and the computer work randomly.

Do you have the problem only on recording (does the midi thru function work well ?)

#28042 - 09/23/99 03:52 AM Re: Help! Still got problems with XP30, AWE64G, CW setup
ballistic Offline

So, how did u resolve the problem?

Yes. This problem only occurs when I playback a recorded MIDI track. Playing stuff on Cakewalk is prefectly fine. I also have the Voyetra MIDI Orchestrator. I tried the same thing on it. When i played back the track, it seems that all the notes I inputed were all placed on the start, and played simultaneously(so it just lasted about 1 second). So u still think it's the MIDI cable that's the problem?
Remember, the MIDI cable I use is brand new. Though that could probably mean absolutely nothing.

Do u have the problem of a MIDI track not changing the current patch despite the patch name already displayed in the Pane view? Like, regardless of what patch u selected in the Pane view, the track still uses the default piano sound to play the track?

ALso, I would like to know if there r other XP30 users(including u) out there who noticed any misaligned keys in their XP30's. It seems that on ALL octaves, the gaps between F&G, and A&B seems a little bit too wide, while the ones between G&A r too close(the gap is kinda wedge-shaped, with the keys pulling inwards). This happens in every octave. The synth plays fine, thought at times the G and A keys scrub against each other. I want to know if this is a factory defect, or normal for all XP30's. I'm also wondering if the other XP's have this "deformity".

Thanks.

#28043 - 09/24/99 03:54 AM Re: Help! Still got problems with XP30, AWE64G, CW setup
Lior Offline

If all the inputed notes play back in one second at the beginning of the song, it is probably not because of the midi cable. I don't know what is the problem.

But for the troubles you encounter with Cakewalk, you should try to change the midi cable (even if it is brand new. Mine was new too, but it didn't work. My retailer told me that it often happens with certain brands of midi cables).

To test your cable, you should try to use the software provided with the synth to load and edit a patch with your computer. If it doesn't work, then your cable has to be changed. You can also test the midi connexion by setting the midi thru function on (in Cakewalk), and setting the local function off (in the XP30, in the menu system-midi). When you play, you have to hear exactly what you play. If it doesn't work properly, then you probably have troubles with the cable.

I didn't notice the gap between the notes on my XP30.

#28044 - 09/27/99 03:16 AM Re: Help! Still got problems with XP30, AWE64G, CW setup
ballistic Offline

Do u or anybody out there manage to use the AWE64G and XP-30 on the same setup, and not have any problems? Someone said that the AWE has some inherent bugs in its MIDI. Not sure if it's true.

Creative really sucks! They haven't responded to my E-mail.

I'd really love to hear anything about this matter from anyone.

And for other XP-30 users, please check carefully if any of u guys have this misalignment of keys(see previous posts).

Thanks.

#28045 - 09/27/99 03:32 AM Re: Help! Still got problems with XP30, AWE64G, CW setup
Lior Offline

I've stopped using my Soundblaster Live for midi. When I do that, sometimes, some note off events disappear. I use it only for audio. For the midi, I have another cheap soundcard which works very well.

Did you solve your midi recording problem ?

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online