SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#28131 - 03/09/00 10:16 PM Need workstation (seq./fx/good sounds)
sen23 Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Hi,
I'm trying to decide on a new controller/workstation to be the center hub in my studio to replace my aging Ensoniq VFXsd
Can any owners give me an unbiased opinion on the XP60/80?, major differences between the two?... my only other option seems to be the Korg Triton but I heard nasty things about controlling external gear with that.... right now I can't afford a computer based sequencing package, and feel another keyboard workstation is the way to go....
Any suggestions?

#28132 - 03/10/00 08:43 AM Re: Need workstation (seq./fx/good sounds)
stigf Offline

Loc: Tromsų, Norway
Hi

The XP-60 and XP-80 are identical, except from the number of keys.

The XP's sequencer supports SYSEX unlike the Triton. The Triton-sequencer cannot record or play back SYSEX. So if you plan on using this, the Triton could cause you problems.

What MIDI-master functions will you need? I'll be happy to help, but I use it as a stand-alone workstation myself, so I don't know exactly what you need.

Stig

#28133 - 03/10/00 09:01 AM Re: Need workstation (seq./fx/good sounds)
fvicente Offline

Loc: Port Moody, BC, Canada
Hi sen23,

The only other one I can think of is the Kurzweil K-series. However, they are more expensive (even the K2500) so you may not be interested. There is the K2000 but it has limited polyphony (only 24 note) which is extremely limited in today's day and age. The K2500 and K2600 offer 48 note polyphony at least.

The sequencer seems to be quite good and their synthesis is also quite good (VAST). I agree with stigf though that the Rolands may be better for you if it is your only sequencer. Also, go by what kinds of sounds you need from this workstation keyboard. The Triton is more geared towards synth sounds while the Rolands have more bread & butter sounds (better pianos).

Oh well, hope this helps.
Fernando

#28134 - 03/11/00 10:06 PM Re: Need workstation (seq./fx/good sounds)
sen23 Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Thanks for the replies guys, right now I'm mainly using a Proteus2000 for the majority of my sounds, but there are some pads/bells on my Ensoniq that I still love, I also run it through a zoom guitar fx pedal system for different tones..... I've had the VFX for years, love the straighforwardness of the internal sequencer, but lately the internal clock in it has been very unstable, and fuses keep blowing on the main PC board inside.... I think it's on it's way out..... so I've been researching workstations, the P2K has great synth sounds and filters, but I am lacking right now in the bread and butter type sound department... I plan on playing the XP's some more soon, thanks for your input and keep in touch.
sdm44@eden.rutgers.edu
Seneca Meyer

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online