SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#28247 - 09/29/99 09:58 PM SoundDiver thinks my XP-30 is a JV-1010
syrupdude Offline

Loc: Austin, TX, USA
Is this normal? Why can I only see two expansion boards (Session and Orch)? Surely there's a way to tell it that it's got it all wrong.

#28248 - 10/07/99 12:19 PM Re: SoundDiver thinks my XP-30 is a JV-1010
syrupdude Offline

I'm answering my own question for the benefit of others later on. Emagic responded and said that there was a bug in the XP-30 module, and that a patch would be posted to their update page in about a week from now. Apparently, SoundDiver is acting funky for ALL the xp-30's out there. I'm surprised I haven't heard of anybody else trying to use it yet.

#28249 - 10/11/99 05:17 PM Re: SoundDiver thinks my XP-30 is a JV-1010
King Idiot Offline

Loc: Daly City, CA. USA
I just tried mine yesterday and it has te same prb. I was commin here to post on this thread that it was the same for me, and got the pleasant surprise of your answer. Thanx man!

BT MY Sdiver is crashing ALOT. I'm using it on a Mac wth OS 8.1 right now...I'm gonan try it on my PC soon to see what it does there.

#28250 - 10/21/99 02:34 PM Re: SoundDiver thinks my XP-30 is a JV-1010
syrupdude Offline

What a RIP! Emagic finally put up their update for SoundDiver, but get this. You have to upgrade to the full version first.

Not bloody likely.

#28251 - 10/22/99 07:13 PM Re: SoundDiver thinks my XP-30 is a JV-1010
yuda1 Offline

I just came in here to say that I couldn't get to the update page in IE 5. If you're right, I think I know why. I just bought $2000 worth of Roland equipment 6 days ago, and I can still take it back. So my next post will be to Roland, they may find this interesting. I would suggest anyone else do the same. BTW, I bought an XP-30, and Cakewalk Pro 9, and I love them both. I'll like em even better when I figure out how to record vocals on a track, but I'm reading this massive book from Cakewalk.Pro 9 is o midis what Office 2000 is to businesses. Understand that i'm new to this whole midi thing, but I have recorded 2 tracks in 5 days. Don't want to scare you from the board, but you'll prob be seeing a lot of me in here. Is that a good thing??????? Welll, back already, I cant find a Roland e-mail address. Figures..........if anyone knows it, let me know.....thanks

[This message has been edited by yuda1 (edited 10-22-1999).]

#28252 - 10/22/99 09:35 PM Re: SoundDiver thinks my XP-30 is a JV-1010
syrupdude Offline

I've looked for a Roland email address also. Let me know if you find one. I guess I'll just call from work. Not that it'll matter though. How could they _not_ know that SoundDiver (the windows version anyway) for every XP-30 is fubar? Conversely, how could Emagic, in good conscience (hehe hehehe), put xp-30 on the title of the cdrom?

#28253 - 10/22/99 10:15 PM Re: SoundDiver thinks my XP-30 is a JV-1010
yuda1 Offline

Well, I wrote emagic, anyway..........letting them know what I thought, and you have a good point about Roland not knowing, but with the benefit of the doubt, I can say maybe it was just tested poorly?????? But they should know just what they're getting if they don't. My point being that Roland brought emagic from obscurity to fame so to speak. There are many editors on the market. And I also told them that if they didn't believe that bulletin boards worked, to check thier sales figures in about 6 months. It looks to me that the XP-30 is gaining popularity at a quick pace. In effect, I'm just glad to be able to see my instruments in a database setting SoundDiver up manually, but in principle, it's a scam. And I will definitely make my feelings known to both Roland and eMagic, and I hope everyone does as well. I'll keep you posted..........yuda1

#28254 - 10/24/99 09:49 AM Re: SoundDiver thinks my XP-30 is a JV-1010
yuda1 Offline

Syrupdude, I think I found a temp fix for us.It was not all I was expecting, but it works. First, close the Sounddiver software. Turn off your XP-30. Re-open Sounddiver, and keep trying re-scan, or whatever until it lets you manually select. Select the JV-1080. Then select the presets button, and both expansion buttons, AND NEVER TURN THESE OFF!!!! Turn on your XP. It will show no expansion card in D, but it will read it. Now, all the patches in the boxes you see will be in light print. That means they're not loaded into Sounddiver. From the top, select all the boxes with light print by clicking on the title of the box. (GM:PresetA). It will highlight all the patches in there. Now, above the icon to the left of file is the sysex dump button. With a preset box highlighted, and your XP on, click on this dump button. Your XP display should read "transmitting system X Information" and one by one it will load the patches. Do this to all patch boxes, including the Rhythm boxes to the far right. The type will turn dark,meaning the patches are loaded. Hint: Don't bother loading the Orchestra Rhythm patches, it's all one set of drums that are loaded in another bank. In the Expansion D box you'll see ????????, but highlight it and do the same thing. It will load them. Now you can double click on any patch in any bank and see the editor come up, with that patch in it. And with the XP in the patch mode, it will send the patch to it, and you can test it. For Drums, you need to hit the rhythm button on the XP. I don't know if this is how it's supposed to work, (saving these patches), but if you close Sounddiver, you'll need to repeat the entire procedure. Be careful when you're closing the individual patch editor, not to hit the wrong X. This is a little time consuming, and you can keep sounddiver minimized during your session, and they will stay with you. Let me know if you find a way to save these so you don't have to reload each time you open sounddiver. This is not, like I said, the way I wanted it to be, but at least you have access to all your sounds. I also am using Cakewalk Pro Audio 9, and I'm hoping I can find my sound in sounddiver, double click on it and have it inserted right into the track in Cakewalk. Haven't had a chance to try that yet. I hope this helps........yuda1

#28255 - 10/24/99 02:57 PM Re: SoundDiver thinks my XP-30 is a JV-1010
syrupdude Offline

Well, I took your advice ended up doing something similar, and it seems as though SoundDiver is now acting as it should. I started it with my keyboard off, as you suggested. SoundDiver said it couldn't find the jv-1010, and asked me if I wanted to deleted it, to which I said "yes". Then I kept letting it rescan until it let me choose manually (I had never got to this screen before) and I was able to choose XP-30. So i turned on my keyboard and clicked okay, at which point it recognized everything fine (see caveat below). I've shut it down and restarted it several times since then just to make sure this wasn't a one time fluke, and it did indeed remember that I have an xp-30 and my expansion boards. I also don't have to re-retrieve all of the stuff I already got through sysex.

The one problem I had was then when retrieving all the rythm sets. When doing so, you have to do them one at a time, while making sure that the rythm set being requested is the current rythm set on the xp-30. It seems that SoundDiver only requests the temporary rythm set (the current one).

I hope this is helpful to somebody.

[This message has been edited by syrupdude (edited 10-24-1999).]

#28256 - 06/27/00 07:07 AM Re: SoundDiver thinks my XP-30 is a JV-1010
Anonymous
Unregistered

You can download an updater for SoundDiver JV/XP which can recognize the XP-30 free of charge from our web site. It is not required to upgrade to the full version.

------------------
Beste Gruesse - best regards,

Michael Haydn
EMAGIC Soft- und Hardware
GmbH
SoundDiver Group Executive
Unitor8 Control Project Manager
Logic Windows Developer

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online