SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#28277 - 10/24/00 11:25 AM Opinion of the XV88
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am trying to decide whether or not to invest in XV88 here is my delima... I own a XP80 right now I use it for Gospel Music (Both playing out and Praise and Worship) only. I have an Alesis QS8 but I dont really really like the sounds of it anymore. I also own a Triton which I really like. I like the sounds of the XP80 and I like the Weighted Key Idea but I could be happy sticking with the 76key if I really dont gain anything. I am always looking for additional sounds to enhance a worship service. But I would like to get some other opinions. I am aware of the Card slots for both the XP80 and the XV88. Bottom line is the XV88 really worth it, Even though I dont like the screen on the XV88 Any other opinions will be really appreciated.

#28278 - 10/24/00 11:42 AM Re: Opinion of the XV88
KeyboardFreak Offline

Dude.... I am in almost the same boat as you. I have an XV-88 and use it in a praise band. It really is a good keyboard and I love some of the Piano/E.P./organ sounds (Great for praise and worship) but I don't think it would be worth it for you. You said you have an XP-80, QS8, and Triton right???? I don't think the $2000 for the XV is worth it if you have all that already..... unless your just looking for a good 88-key master keyboard, or if you just have a lot of money to blow. I would say to try some sound modules..... this will cut down on the space you would need to set up. You could then use your XP-80 to control the sound module....... If you like the sounds on the XV so much, why don't you consider getting an XV 3080 or 5080 module???? For almost the same price as the XV-88 you could get either the XV 3080 and another cheaper module (NanoPiano, etc.) or get the XV 5080 which would give you all the sounds from the XV-88 with even more expansion slots and the ability to read samples....... Either way you go (The XV-88 or a sound module) you will still have to have either the XP-80 or Triton with you anyway, if you use the sequencer that is. The XV-88 has no ability to play midi files on it's own and has no on-board sequencer. Hope this helped some. If you do decide to get the XV.... go ahead and post back with any specific questions you have and I'll do my best to answer them.

------------------
John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that He gave His only Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

#28279 - 10/24/00 01:47 PM Re: Opinion of the XV88
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the info. I thought about the modules, but it would increase my load of things to carry. I do like the weighted keys XV88 especially if I use the Session card with the studio grand sound. Now, you do have a good point about the 5080, but I am out a lot and that would mean I will now have to carry two boards and a module. I have also considered selling the xp and the qs to get the XV88... what do you think about that?
Also is the sound quality of the XV88 noticably better than that of the XP80?

#28280 - 10/24/00 02:21 PM Re: Opinion of the XV88
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the info. I thought about the modules, but it would increase my load of things to carry. I do like the weighted keys XV88 especially if I use the Session card with the studio grand sound. Now, you do have a good point about the 5080, but I am out a lot and that would mean I will now have to carry two boards and a module. I have also considered selling the xp and the qs to get the XV88... what do you think about that? Also is the sound quality of the XV88 noticably better than that of the XP80?
Would I need the session card?
what about the Brass and Synth sounds do they work well for Praise and worship?

#28281 - 10/24/00 02:39 PM Re: Opinion of the XV88
KeyboardFreak Offline

Ok...... I'm glad I helped some. I think selling the XP and QS would probably be a good way to go. Then you would have argueably the best workstation out there... and in my humble opinion, one of the best sounding synths out there. I haven't really played around with the XP-80 that much..... but I would assume that the sounds on the XV are generally higher quality. After all.... the XV-88 has 64Mb of wave memory. The weighted keys on the XV are terrific! I learned on a baby grand piano.... and I love the action on the XV-88. I don't know if you'd even need the exp. board.... the preset piano's are pretty good. As for the Brass and Synth sounds...... Our band has just started playing (three months or so) so I have barely scratched the surface of the XV-88's sounds..... Mostly I use the Midi-ed Grand (A 009) kind of an acoustic piano sound with an electric piano ring, it sounds real neat. And the Piano/Pad's in the "E" bank.... I did use a brass sound once though, it worked pretty good. The synths???? Well that depends on what you're looking for..... the leads probably aren't as good as the triton's (Or so I've been told) I don't use them much anyway.... the pad's are good, and the other stuff is also pretty good. Don't forget... if you don't really like the preset's on the XV, there are 19 SR-JV exp. boards and 2 SRX exp. boards.... with more on the way. So, you'd probably be able to find any sound you were looking for. Anything else???

------------------
John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that He gave His only Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online