SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#283171 - 03/14/10 10:06 PM Guitar wave to midi
Henni Offline

Loc: South Africa
Hi all,

I have a few excellent short guitar wave files that I want to convert to midi properly. I want to try to create multipads for the Yamaha keyboards similar to the Audya's guitar audio loops.

Can anyone help me to convert these wave files to midi?

Tried the shareware wave to midi converters and the results not good at all.

Thank you in advance,
Henni

#283172 - 03/14/10 10:55 PM Re: Guitar wave to midi
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Good Luck!!!! Thats been the "Holy Grail" of midi song programmers for years and years...

PLENTY of software that can do single notes, really well. When it comes to chords...they are terrible.

#283173 - 03/14/10 11:29 PM Re: Guitar wave to midi
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Only thing I've seen that can adjust polyphonic material like guitar parts is Celemony's Melodyne Editor and above which has a MIDI output. How well this works, I don't know, but on audio, this thing is close to miraculous (if the audio is clear enough), and it is capable of generating a MIDI file with notes and velocities correct, if the manual is to be believed.
http://www.celemony.com/cms/index.php?id=715&L=1.%253FL%253D1.%253FL%253D1.%253FL%253D1

An utterly groundbreaking product (but not cheap!)

#283174 - 03/15/10 12:45 AM Re: Guitar wave to midi
Henni Offline

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your replies. Now my next question:

Does anyone have good acoustic, distortion and base guitar midifile samples that I can maybe use for this purpose (create multipads for the Yamaha arrangers that allows something similar to the Audya's live guitar loops to be played along with midi styles)

Thank you so much,
Henni

#283175 - 03/15/10 12:51 PM Re: Guitar wave to midi
Diki Offline

You realize that many of the guitar patterns already IN the Yamaha arrangers were made from MIDI guitar players, playing into a sequencer?

To be honest, if you are dissatisfied with the patterns that are already in it, deriving MIDI patterns from audio guitar loops is not likely to sound any better, actually, probably worse, because Yamaha have got a LOT of performance nuances added to those patterns via their Mega Voice information (rakes, chokes, pick noises, scrapes, etc.)...

You are STILL using the same guitar sounds that Yamaha use for their styles.

Basically, you want audio loop quality guitars in a style, your only option is an Audya or MS or Wersi, that can actually DO audio files. Yamaha have got about as close as can be got, with their technology and voices. Deriving MIDI information from audio loops isn't really going to make them any better...

OTOH, if you have a Tyros, you could try using a slicer program to slice the audio loops you have, and create a MIDI file to play back the loops (if you want to go at any other tempo than the loop already is), but you'll not get chord transposition, etc.. Might work with an SMF if you play in the key of the loops or use a transposer software to shift them.

But, essentially what you want to do is simply not going to be better than what you already have, I'm afraid.

#283176 - 03/15/10 09:09 PM Re: Guitar wave to midi
Henni Offline

Diki,

I used Michael's Padmaker to create multipads of all the guitar tracks of the Yamaha's Pop&Rock and Ballad styles.
http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=11452.0;attach=6179
http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=11452.0;attach=6180

I am really disappointed in the end results - it does not even come close to the Audya's wave patterns. (Please note, I am a big Yamaha fan and the Yamaha styles are truly magnificent - they are just not suitable material for the multipads that I would like to create)

Last night I went through EVERY single multipad I have (and I have them ALL) and found nothing impressive.

I have heard good guitar midi recordings, so I know it is possible with midi. Are the Yamaha's limited to processing power, Polyphony or what?

I really think if not, that better quality guitar examples can be had for these arrangers. But I am certainly no expert on these things and hence my original question.

Now please, I'm looking for good rock guitar riff midis - Surely some of you must know of some.

Keep well,
Henni

[This message has been edited by Henni (edited 03-15-2010).]

#283177 - 03/15/10 11:32 PM Re: Guitar wave to midi
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Why not look at hiring a Midi Guitar (Roland used to make them) and then get one of your mates to come over and record in several phrases for you.

OR buy a s/h midi guitar and learn a few basic chord patterns (ie barre form 1 and 2) and do them yourself

I reckon that would be far FAR easier and quicker than mucking around with any software, Melodyne included, which is not really all that terrific with multiple chord notes anyway.

Dennis

#283178 - 03/15/10 11:36 PM Re: Guitar wave to midi
Diki Offline

I've heard what I thought was some pretty decent guitar playing in modern Yamaha styles. To be honest, I am prepared to admit that they are, short of actual audio loops, about the best that the state of the art can get them without using VSTi's.

Which Yamaha are you using?

The problem with rock guitar MIDI's is that it is ALL about the amp simulator. It's the way that chords make the amp break up, single lines sing out, power chords (no thirds) get crunchy. And about the Mega Voice information, rakes, scrapes, pick noise, etc., etc.. And lastly, and most difficultly, it is about the way that chords get played on a guitar. MIDI arrangers tend to simply transpose guitar parts, a part that you really liked from a MIDI file will NOT work well when transposed to all keys, let alone all chords. Guitars are very non-linear things. A G chord is NOTHING like a C chord. Different shape, different chord. Until you get into barré chords, no two chords get played the same way, and most guitar stuff (or at least, a whole lot of it!) is played down at the nut end of the guitar, where everything is different.

Yamaha's T3 and S910 have new NTT's to help with making their guitar parts more natural when transposed. Do you have one of these, yet?

I'm afraid what you want to do simply is beyond much of today's technology, at least if you have already auditioned Yamaha's current styles and find them lacking. Only other thing I can suggest is to try Korg's PA800/PA2Xpro, which has a dedicated Guitar Mode in it that makes a pretty good job of picking the correct voicing for different key, same type chords...

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I think you are asking a bit much from today's arrangers, even as good as I think they are...

#283179 - 03/15/10 11:47 PM Re: Guitar wave to midi
Henni Offline

Hi Diki & Dennis,

Maybe I would like longer guitar riffs with more variation in each loop - this the current styles simply cannot give.

Look, I'm not sure if what I want is possible, but I won't know until I try to convert a good rock guitar riff midi sequence into a multipad.

Now please, please, please, can anyone help me with such a midi file, even if from a complete song, maybe I can extract some parts to experiment with.

Please send to hennie dot vanrooyen at exxaro dot com.

Keep well,
Henni

#283180 - 03/16/10 12:21 AM Re: Guitar wave to midi
Diki Offline

You never DID mention what arranger you are using...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online