SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#28433 - 08/08/03 08:23 AM Sustain pedal messages - ignore?
PMF Offline

Loc: England
Hi.
Does anyone know if it is possible to switch off (ignore, basically) the 'sustain pedal received messages' sent to my Roland XP-80 synth from my master keyboard?
My situation is thus....
I wish to control my XP-80 via a simple midi link from my RD-1000 piano, but do NOT wish for the XP-80 to respond to the sustain pedal messages sent by the RD-1000 (my master keyboard in this situation).

Any help would be appreciated.
With thanks.
Pete

#28434 - 08/08/03 10:04 PM Re: Sustain pedal messages - ignore?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
You need to turn off (filter) CC#64 on the channel that the piano transmits on. That will disable the sustain.

#28435 - 08/09/03 03:08 AM Re: Sustain pedal messages - ignore?
PMF Offline

Thanks for that Uncle Dave, now all I gotta do is figure out how to do that on an RD without a manual!
If this is not possible, do you think I could turn it off on the 'receiving' keyboard (XP-80)?

Yeah, shame about the 16 note poly on the RD... such is life!
Pete

#28436 - 08/09/03 06:59 AM Re: Sustain pedal messages - ignore?
Uncle Dave Offline

Yes, I'd recoomend using the controllers in the synth. The RD has some midi functions, but they are well hidden and I doubt that cc64 is modifyable. The XP will do it easily.
You can assign each slider on the RD to control a different midi channel on the synth, such as strings and choirs.... then blend them in as you play. It's a nice effect for ballads or powerful endings.
Let me know how you make out - I had all 4 RD models, as well as the Roland Rhodes. Loved the vibes and clavs.... and the #7 ep with tremelo is a MARVELOUS Rhodes simulation, isn't it?

#28437 - 08/09/03 07:37 AM Re: Sustain pedal messages - ignore?
PMF Offline

Yes, the RP-1000 ep's are great, I just can't get on with the main piano sounds.
I bought it only just recently off the back of an Elton John concert I saw years ago, but sadly it just hasn't come up to expectations and has to go, but for the time being it'll have to do!

I've got the old Yamaha CP70 sitting here - faithful as ever, but it's non midi and just a tad too heavy to cart around nowadays!
If I could find something similar to that with midi and weighted keys I'd be happy.

My main gripe with the RD is that no matter how gently you depress the keys, the notes just 'switch in' about halfway through their travel, albeit at the lowest velocity, still annoying... perhaps they're all like that???

Anyway, regarding the sustain thing....
I haven't explored the midi side of the RD at all as I have no manual, but will see what I can find tomorrow (playing tonight, so have to leave shortly - UK time).

Thanks again for your help, will let you know how I get on.

#28438 - 08/11/03 12:23 PM Re: Sustain pedal messages - ignore?
PMF Offline

Ok Dave, got it sorted out ok, thanks very much.
I finaly sussed out that the Hold 1 switch was the sustain and it works a treat. Roland manuals... I hate them!
I'm actually a guitarist - keyboard secondary (I guess I should have explained that first!), but the new project is demanding more detailed keyboard work so I'm handling it in typical guitarist manner... slowly, and with difficulty!!!

[This message has been edited by PMF (edited 08-11-2003).]

#28439 - 08/11/03 10:50 PM Re: Sustain pedal messages - ignore?
Uncle Dave Offline

Glad yopu figured it out. That kb is still a cool, nostalgic piece to use as a controller - if you have the room for it.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online