SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 24 of 27 < 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 27 >
Topic Options
#285809 - 04/28/10 04:03 PM Re: Lionstracs Demos now on Tastenpoint YouTube site
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by miden:

As for the VST's sounding better than the Mega, well, in a way that is true.

The core samples used by a VST WILL sound better, after all they are multi gig samples (in some cases) up against samples measured in tens of mb, so they would WANT to sound better.

BUT, the way Yamaha have programmed the multi velocity switching, perfectly matching either plucked or strummed notes, blown notes, pizz and legato notes within a style, make them the standout that they are. The same can be said (to a lesser level) for the Korg RX as well. Sadly I think Roland have missed the boat entirely

No doubt the larger core samples are better than the smaller mega-voice samples, but in the case of the accompaniment, as you have already stated, the mega-voices are set up to standout when used for styles...which was their intended purpose all along.

This was what was confusing me and several others...the boast was that the Mediastation's VST's would sound better playing a Tyros2's style, than the mega-voices used by the Tyros2.

The VST's in the Mediastation, as far as I know, were not intended to be used in styles...Yamaha's mega-voices were made specifically for that purpose...hearing an intro on a Yamaha style using several mega-voices such as bass, guitar, strings, saxophone, etc, is pretty impressive....even my S910 sounds quite awesome.

So, until the Mediastation's VST's can do what Yamaha's mega-voices do so well, it's a bit of a stretch for some people to claim they are better for that particular purpose.

Yes, the Mediastation is an impressive VST player...as an arranger, as of today, and according to Fran, it doesn't even do better than an old G-70.

Hopefully, with the proper VST and some tweaking, it can be made to sound more impressive...maybe not with the same detail allowed by Yamaha's mega-voices, but formidable in it's own way.

Ian

#285810 - 04/28/10 04:14 PM Re: Lionstracs Demos now on Tastenpoint YouTube site
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Hi Dennis.

Quote:
So if you would prefer me to back away from this in the short term and let you complete your project first, I am happy to do so.

Heck no, not at all mate.
Don't let anything I'm doing stop you at all. Things are kind of crazy here at the moment anyway.

Quote:
I really do not know where the hell some people here get the notion that excuses are being made anywhere???!!!
You have NEVER claimed the arranger was "better" than closed arrangers, I know I certainly haven't....
So how can we make an excuse for statements we never made??? Beats me.

A lot of what's being said is very unfair. It's like there is some sick hope that everything would have fallen flat on it's face. Oh well. ….

Cheers
James.

#285811 - 04/28/10 04:20 PM Re: Lionstracs Demos now on Tastenpoint YouTube site
AFG Music Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
I had a VA76 and a G70 and a GW8, and a PSR3000 and Tyros 1 and 2 and a Motif XS and a S70XS, and a SD1+ and a Midjay and a Gem XS module and a Korg PA1 and PA2.

So I think I have a bit of knowledge about how I think they all sound

I do not want, make you angry!

You forget the MS in your list, lol

about roland:

but maby i am still a little roland fan, lol

roland arrangers are just a little different from other brands.

They have many strong sides when going on styles and sounds, sampling only makes them weak compared to Korg or yamaha costum voices.
becouse after they introduced Roland Va- with variphrase sampling they removed sampler
with G-70, so big mistake

[This message has been edited by AFG Music (edited 04-28-2010).]

#285812 - 04/28/10 04:20 PM Re: Lionstracs Demos now on Tastenpoint YouTube site
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Quote:
Originally posted by Irishacts:
A lot of what's being said is very unfair. It's like there is some sick hope that everything would have fallen flat on it's face. Oh well. ….

Cheers
James.

Ditto that!!

D

#285813 - 04/28/10 04:38 PM Re: Lionstracs Demos now on Tastenpoint YouTube site
to the genesys Offline

So people after 7 years still do not get the concept of the MS. When you hear statements like "mediastation's VST" it shows a lack of understanding.
An MS does not come with premium VST content.

#285814 - 04/28/10 04:55 PM Re: Lionstracs Demos now on Tastenpoint YouTube site
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by to the genesys:
So people after 7 years still do not get the concept of the MS. When you hear statements like "mediastation's VST" it shows a lack of understanding.
An MS does not come with premium VST content.

Of course it doesn't come with premium VST content...they have to be added...everyone knows at least that much about it.

But, thanks for the information all the same...perhaps there are a few who don't know it as well as you do.

BTW, do you have a Mediastation? If not, are you considering the purchase of one?

Ian

#285815 - 04/28/10 06:26 PM Re: Lionstracs Demos now on Tastenpoint YouTube site
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Ian, don't quote me out of context..

Here is what I said...

Ian, I have already done that...the G70 won hands down...

but.....I only have used the default Yamaha vst...and not the "best" sounds possible...
I used this combination with Live Styler..

Now that I have the new Arranger program, that plays native Ketron as well as Yamaha styles without conversion...I want to finish a better GM bank than the Yamaha VST offered..I think NI Bandstand will be a lot better than the Yamaha VST..(2 gigs compared to 2 megs sample size)...

#285816 - 04/28/10 07:14 PM Re: Lionstracs Demos now on Tastenpoint YouTube site
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Ian, don't quote me out of context..

Here is what I said...

Ian, I have already done that...the G70 won hands down...

but.....I only have used the default Yamaha vst...and not the "best" sounds possible...
I used this combination with Live Styler..

Yes, you are correct...it doesn't sound as good as your old G-70.

Ian

PS...you aren't going to try and tell me your G-70 is new?

#285817 - 04/28/10 08:04 PM Re: Lionstracs Demos now on Tastenpoint YouTube site
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
My G70 is newer than the Yamaha VST I used and also my original MediaStation...

#285818 - 04/28/10 09:43 PM Re: Lionstracs Demos now on Tastenpoint YouTube site
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
My G70 is newer than the Yamaha VST I used and also my original MediaStation...

How old is your G-70? Didn't you already have it when you got the Mediastation?

Or, did you have two Mediastations, the first being replaced by an upgraded, or newer, model?

Ian

Page 24 of 27 < 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 27 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online