SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 17 of 27 < 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 26 27 >
Topic Options
#285739 - 04/27/10 03:41 PM Re: Lionstracs Demos now on Tastenpoint YouTube site
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
Just a reminder to Ian or anyone else that can help with this...Seems the thread got sidetracked after I posed the question.

Dennis

I haven't forgotten, Dennis...I've been very busy preparing for two home/trade shows and a clinic for this weekend...this is a hectic time of year for me.

Next week, if time permits, I could play/record a couple of chord progressions using two on-board (preset) Tyros2 styles, that I will get/pick from PSR-Tutorial, since the original claim by Liontracs was that the Mediastation could sound better playing a Tyros2 style than a Tyros2 (this included intros and endings).

I can use my S910 (won't have the T3 back for a few weeks) to play the unmodified T2 styles, and perhaps send the recordings and styles to you, for both conversion and then revoicing, and ultimately, recording using the Mediastation.

If there are any Tyros2 or Korg PA owners who can help out, it would be appreciated, as it's a bit tough for me right now.

Ian

#285740 - 04/27/10 05:06 PM Re: Lionstracs Demos now on Tastenpoint YouTube site
miden Offline

Loc: The World
No worries Ian,

My bad, I thought you may have missed the post

But there is no rush at all, even if it takes a few weeks is okay.

And I agree, ANY other Yamaha users could do this easily.

I COULD use LiveStyler on my PC, but that is not using the Yamaha sound engine, so the results would not really be fair. VST up against PC synth!!!

Dennis

#285741 - 04/27/10 05:58 PM Re: Lionstracs Demos now on Tastenpoint YouTube site
to the genesys Offline

One important but overlooked and misunderstood point regarding the MS playing a T2 or any other keyboard style is that the result is only as good as the skill level of the MS user and the type and quality of the VSTs the user chooses to revoice the style. Those two have nothing to do with the MS but are the only thing that would substantiate the “claim”.

If the user does not know anything about styles, does not understand mixing and EQ then the style will sound bad. If the user only uses free VSTs and does not look for high quality VSTs, then the style will sound bad. If you noticed, that is what was happening with the past demos.

Lionstracks never told users which VSTs to use that would make a Yamaha style sound “better”.

So this proposed exercise is pointless because it will not settle anything.
And I remind people again that someone did do a demo of a meringue style and most people felt it sounded good but at the same time they said it did not count because it was a meringue.

#285742 - 04/27/10 06:24 PM Re: Lionstracs Demos now on Tastenpoint YouTube site
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by to the genesys:
One important but overlooked and misunderstood point regarding the MS playing a T2 or any other keyboard style is that the result is only as good as the skill level of the MS user and the type and quality of the VSTs the user chooses to revoice the style. So this proposed exercise is pointless because it will not settle anything.

I'm glad Dennis is proposing this little comparison, and I'm sure he knows what he is doing quite well...he wants to see how well his Mediastation performs.

James can also step in and add his expertise as well, and so can Fran...these guys are pros as well...and of course, Lionstracs themselves are welcome.

Hopefully they will have high quality VST's to use, but if not, we can take whatever they say they are using into consideration.

Anything to unravel much of the mystery surrounding the Mediastation, should be considered a plus.

Ian

#285743 - 04/27/10 06:53 PM Re: Lionstracs Demos now on Tastenpoint YouTube site
Dnj Offline

Are you considering a Yamaha style which includes Mega and SA voices to compare or just a older straight style?

#285744 - 04/27/10 07:13 PM Re: Lionstracs Demos now on Tastenpoint YouTube site
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Are you considering a Yamaha style which includes Mega and SA voices to compare or just a older straight style?

Donny, I'm going to pick two Tyros2 styles, and they will contain mega-voices.

Considering Ensnareyou thinks mega-voices are all "hype", it shouldn't present a problem, and the claim by Lionstracs was that the Mediastation could make a Tyros2 style sound better in the former than it would in the latter.

Using an older non-mega style wouldn't let the Tyros2 show it's features, and, according to Ensnareyou and a few others, the VST's available for the Mediastation are far superior to Yamaha's mega-voices.

SA/SA2 voices cannot be used in the styles, but the mega-voices were designed specifically for use in them, and should be featured.

Ian

#285745 - 04/27/10 07:16 PM Re: Lionstracs Demos now on Tastenpoint YouTube site
Dnj Offline

Thanks Ian....I as everyone else waits with bated breath ! People please hurry.

#285746 - 04/27/10 07:16 PM Re: Lionstracs Demos now on Tastenpoint YouTube site
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
I'm curious

#285747 - 04/28/10 12:15 AM Re: Lionstracs Demos now on Tastenpoint YouTube site
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
The Mega voice type voices have been available in VSTi for over 10 years, and are now much more advanced, “However” due to the makeup of these type of voices it will take a lot longer to convert these styles then MS users think, (RX voices are a piece of cake in comparison, due to the simplicity of them)

Once done then yes, they will be way in advance of the T1/2/3, “However” I have to ask the question, “Why” the idea of the MS is to make it your own, not emulate a T2 or a PA1x, so why not use it as intended rather than pandering to others, who even if you achieved perfection still wouldn’t buy one.

IMO if you want to impress people, then yes, use a T2/PA1x style if you want to, but “Don’t” try and emulate a T2/PA1x, just make it suitable for what you want, (Not others) as that way the passion will come through.

Bill

#285748 - 04/28/10 01:13 AM Re: Lionstracs Demos now on Tastenpoint YouTube site
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
The Mega voice type voices have been available in VSTi for over 10 years, and are now much more advanced, “However” due to the makeup of these type of voices it will take a lot longer to convert these styles then MS users think, (RX voices are a piece of cake in comparison, due to the simplicity of them)

Once done then yes, they will be way in advance of the T1/2/3, “However” I have to ask the question, “Why” the idea of the MS is to make it your own, not emulate a T2 or a PA1x, so why not use it as intended rather than pandering to others, who even if you achieved perfection still wouldn’t buy one.

IMO if you want to impress people, then yes, use a T2/PA1x style if you want to, but “Don’t” try and emulate a T2/PA1x, just make it suitable for what you want, (Not others) as that way the passion will come through.

Bill

Bill, as I said in my original post about this experiment ......

"To be honest I do not think the MS with the Live arranger will come too close to the S910/Tyros styles, but perhaps it will be a case of "they sound good , just different???"...........

The main reason for that comment was that mega patches in the styles have many velocity layers and programming. I am NOT going to try and emulate that depth of programming

So I don't think I , for one, will be getting too pedantic about matching a style perfectly. I want to get it as close as I can using the existing style structure, but substituting the Media Station sound engine.

Dennis

Page 17 of 27 < 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 26 27 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online