SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#28962 - 07/23/00 12:59 PM Korg pokes at xv-5080
Cosmic Dreamer Offline

Loc: Hasselt, Limburg, Belgium
Hello,

Maybe a few of you have been searching around for up to date info on the ongoing NAMM Summer Session event and there's a new player in the field, the Korg Triton Rack.

This triton rack wants to compete DIRECTLY to Roland's flagship. I'm gonna be rasional here, It outnumbers the poor little 5080ie with a few things like:

- 5 insert effects per part in sequence mode. (translated to Rolandish: performance mode).

- REAL sampling (yet you can only insert 96 mb of ram=3x32mb EDO/FP).

- The thing that hit me as being obvious from Korg is the 8x expandability. They also have expansionboards as well as Roland. They really want to adopt the idea of having a rack mount module to compliment your studio with a future proof design. You have 5 now, (they look a bit like a regular 72 pin simm).

Now: the digital outputs are OPTIONAL, but standard on the XV-5080. (well you could start discussing the advantages and disadvantages of having aes/ebu but these are optional on both XV-5080 and Tritonrack)..

Another obvious difference is the sound. I have a triton keyboard so you arn't going to hear me say bad things about how it enables the user to create pristine, effective and powerful pillows of synthesiser warmth, while the drumkits are really cool.

The xv series would perfectly compliment the triton HI sounds with its lush, atmospheric, warm and no doubt....Rolandish sound.

But now you could also say "I'll compliment my XV-88 with a triton rack so that's no problem...

Yet what I'm interested in (and wich is the point of this message) is: If you didn't have a sampler, and a keyboard with the dynamics of the XV series, ....let's say only a midi controller.. Would you go for a triton rack or an XV-5080?.

Hey, it's just that I want to summon your skilled buying tactics because for me it would kinda make me wonder if the tr-rack would have been there when I bought my normal triton.

#28963 - 07/23/00 06:48 PM Re: Korg pokes at xv-5080
YMH Offline

Loc: Cannada
WOW..... such a competritiom!!!
I was just dreaming and hopeing the other day about a Trition module in the coming days...... now I see this message...... am I dreaming again? : )
I just made up my mind FINALLY to buy 3080 instead of 5080 (for its sample playback only and i don't think the R-BUS is necessary for me so far...) Now, after knowing there'll be a trition rack coming out , I think I'm more sure to buy 3080 first (because i don't own 2080 , and I love JV series a lot...), and waiting for the Trition Rack and see if I'll need it or not (because I don't own a sampler eithetr and I've heard so much pros about trition) ....
Anyway, glad to see this message, hearing anything about its price???

[This message has been edited by YMH (edited 07-23-2000).]

#28964 - 07/23/00 07:48 PM Re: Korg pokes at xv-5080
Arvon45 Offline

Loc: USA
Cosmic-

You forgot to add that the new Triton rack will also hae a slot for the M.O.S.S. physical modelling synth, and vocoder.

But guess what? NO sequencer on the new Triton rack. It has a "song mode" sequencer for playback only.

From what I understand, it lists for 2500$.

#28965 - 07/23/00 07:59 PM Re: Korg pokes at xv-5080
Arvon45 Offline

YMH-

Here is all the info I know of----

Introducing the TRITON-Rack - the long-awaited rack-mount version of the TRITON Music Workstation/Sampler, with all of its sound power, sampling functionality, intuitive operation, and expandability. Now boasting many new enhancements, the TRITON-Rack adds digital outputs, more expansion options including mLAN™ and even more sounds.

Featuring the 48kHz HI Synthesis & 32MByte expandable PCM ROM of the TRITON keyboard series.
Expandability has been boosted even further. Up to eight PCM expansion boards can be installed.
The number of possible programs and combinations has been dramatically expanded to 2,057 programs and 1,664 combinations on a fully expanded unit.
Full feature sampler with 48 kHz 16-bit linear mono/stereo sampling. Incorporating Time Slice, Time Stretch, Crossfade Loop, and visual waveform editing.
S/P-DIF digital audio output (24 bit internal processing).
Option board, EXB-DI, can be installed to give an ADAT™ optical output connector with 48kHz Word Clock IN.
TRITON-Rack can take advantage of mLan by installing the optional EXB-mLAN board.
Check out sounds with the Audition Riff function.
200 'Multis' can be stored in the TRITON-Rack's Multi Mode. Each memorises a full set-up including Program, transposition and effects settings.
Dual Polyphonic Arpeggiator. Create drum patterns, guitar strums and much more.
RPPR (Realtime Pattern Play/Recording) lets you assign musical phrases to be triggered in realtime from a connected midi keyboard/sequencer.
The Time Slice feature can automatically create patterns from sampled drum loops and assign them to the RPPR.
EXB-MOSS option add six-voices of DSP physical modeling synthesis.
EXB-SCSI option board allows you to load and save your TRITON-Rack data on an external SCSI device, and load AKAI sample data from CD-ROM.
Quick & Easy Song Playback. As well a SMF playback, songs created on the TRITON keyboards can be loaded and recalled using the Demo switch.
Incorporates multi-mode filters including resonant, hi and low-pass types, plus two MIDI sync-able LFO's with an amazing 21 types of LFO waveform.
The effect system gives you 5 insert effects, 2 master effect and a final 3-band EQ. 102 effect types are provided to give standard as well unusual time-variant effects.
The sampler inputs can also be used to connect external audio sources. Add a microphone and TRITON-Rack becomes a VOCODER.
Apply an insertion effect to an audio source being sampled, and record the result as a stereo sample.
Dry or effected sounds can be routed to the two master outputs and S/P-DIF or any of the four extra individual outputs.
TRITON-Rack pushes today's sonic boundaries past their limit giving musicians and producers an abundance of usable features in a compact box.

TRITON-Rack Expandable HI Module/Sampler

Designed with needs of the pro-musician in mind the new Triton Rack will suit the expandable and digital environment of today's modern studios and live stages. The Triton rack features many of the main components found in the Keyboard version such as a synthesizer, SMF song player, percussion and effects along with the full featured stereo sampler that incorporates the new Time Slice and Time Stretch features. A dual polyphonic arpeggiator with an expanded memory of 328 patterns and a real-time pattern play/recording feature further add to the TRITON-Rack's sonic arsenal.

New on the Triton Rack

Extra support for digital output
For seamless integration with standard digital recording tools, the new TRITON-Rack comes with an S/P-DIF connector for high-quality stereo audio output (24 bit internal processing). For those who require multi-channel digital audio transfer, an option board, EXB-DI, can be installed to add an ADAT™ output connector with 48kHz Word Clock IN.

EXB-mLAN supports the new mLAN™ digital network
By installing the optional EXB-mLAN, you can connect the TRITON-Rack to the new digital network designed specifically for musical applications - mLAN™. This allows a single IEEE1394 (Firewire™) cable to handle all audio input/output signals and MIDI input/output signals of the TRITON-Rack (which would otherwise require ten cables), for easy connection to another mLAN-compatible device or computer. mLAN™ makes it easy to construct sophisticated systems that exchange large volumes of high-quality digital audio data and MIDI data.

Sample up a storm with up to 96 Mbytes of internal memory
TRITON-Rack's 48 kHz 16-bit linear mono/stereo sampler section is an essential feature needed for the current music scene and can easily compete with the capabilities of many stand-alone samplers. In addition to the 16 Mbytes included as standard, two more 72-pin SIMM boards can be used making the total possible memory capacity 96 Mbyte when three 32 Mbytes SIMMs are used. The TRITON-Rack already incorporates all the sophisticated functions introduced in TRITON Version 2.0, with waveform editing commands such as Time Slice, Time Stretch, Crossfade Loop, and visual waveform editing that make it easy to produce breakbeats. Time-sliced pattern data can be saved as MIDI data (SMF file) and loaded into an external sequencer. New features include the ability to export samples as .WAV and AIFF files for further editing on computer systems or use in other products (like the Electribe-S).

Maximum number of sounds for major sonic potential
New PCM boards offer further sound expansion and these options have always been popular with Triton users, so the new TRITON-Rack now gives the ability to add up to 8 PCM boards from Korg's growing library, delivering an amazing 160 Mbytes of PCM wave memory. Extra sound memory banks have been added to accommodate the Program and Combination sounds for these new options and a fully expanded TRITON-Rack will give a massive array of 2057 Programs and 1664 Combination sounds.

Check out sounds with the Audition Riff function
With all these sounds, it can be difficult to select the right one on a rack-mount unit without connecting a MIDI keyboard. So, an audition "riff" function has been included in Program mode that allows a short melody to be played. With more than 350 riffs available, this will enable you to audition the vast array of sounds and find suitable sounds more easily or check a sound that you are editing.

Beef up your performance potential with Multi mode
In Multi mode, the TRITON-Rack will function as a 16-part multi-timbral tone generator that can play back multiple tracks from an external MIDI sequencer. In addition to Program and transposition settings, you can assign and edit the powerful five Insert and two Master effects and store the full setup as a "multi" in one of two hundred memory locations. A multi also includes pattern, RPPR (Realtime Pattern Play/Recording), and arpeggiator settings and the specified phrases can be played back in synchronization with an external MIDI sequencer. The TRITON-Rack provides 150 preset patterns ideal for drum tracks, and 100 user patterns that allow recording, editing, or recording with the arpeggiator. When executing the Time Slice operation, you can even automatically create patterns corresponding to the sliced samples and assign the patterns to RPPR. By time-slicing multiple rhythm loop samples that differ in tempo and simultaneously assigning them to RPPR, you can easily match these rhythm loop samples to the same tempo without changing their pitch. You can also use an external MIDI keyboard to play these patterns and control their tempo in realtime.

Expand your horizons
In addition to the freedom to install up to eight EXB-PCM boards, three 32MB SIMM modules, the EXB-DI ADAT output connector and m-LAN board, the TRITON-Rack can also accommodate the EXB-MOSS DSP synthesizer board. Add an entirely new six-voice tone generator, which provides thirteen forms of synthesis, such as analog or physical modeling, to create a truly all-in-one tone generator module. Add the EXB-SCSI SCSI interface board so you can load and save your TRITON-Rack data on an external SCSI device, and load AKAI sample data from CD-ROM. Installation of all options is easy - simply open the top cover.

Quick & Easy Song Playback
As well a SMF playback, songs created on the TRITON keyboards can be loaded into the TRITON-Rack via a 3.5-inch floppy disk or SCSI device. These songs can easily be recalled using the Demo switch and played on the internal tone generator.

All the usual powerful Triton features are there as well
Employing the same Program structure as TRITON, the TRITON-Rack gives 60 voices of Korg's HI synthesis system providing you with every type of sound imaginable from the edgy sounds of dance/techno synth to piano, guitar, brass, strings, and tuned percussion, all at a 48kHz sample rate.

Powerful Filters, Modulation & Effects
When editing sounds, you can access multiple filter types, including resonant, hi and low-pass, plus the two LFO's with an amazing 21 types of LFO waveform that can be tempo synchronised using MIDI. The effect system on TRITON-Rack allows you to process the internal PCM or your own sampled sounds. Of the 102 insert effect types there are standard as well as unusual time-variant effects such as stereo random filter and ring modulator. The Master effects include some superb lush reverbs and additional to the effects is a final EQ section to tailor the tonal quality of each sound.

You can even use TRITON-Rack as a VOCODER
The sampler inputs can also be used to connect external audio sources like guitars or microphones and these can then be processed through the effect section. This allows TRITON-Rack to be used an effect processor or even a VOCODER. You can also apply an insertion effect to an audio source being sampled, and record the result as a stereo sample. The effect routing is easier to use and effected or dry sounds can be routed to the two master outputs and S/P-DIF or any of the four extra individual outputs.

Expand your expressive potential with the EXB-MOSS DSP SYNTHESIZER BOARD/ EXB-MOSS DSP tone generator board

The TRITON series can be expanded by the installation of the ultimate DSP tone generator - the 13 oscillator 6-voice MOSS (Multi-Oscillator Synthesis System) tone generator featured on the Z1. This lets you use all synthesis methods - PCM, analog, VPM (variable phase modulation), and physical modelling - on a single instrument. When the MOSS tone generator is installed, 128 MOSS programs are added. You can create combination programs that use multiple MOSS timbres together with HI sounds.

MOSS (Multi-Oscillator Synthesis System) The MOSS sound generator consists of Voice, EG and LFO sections. The voice section contains 2 powerful oscillator blocks, OSC1/OSC2, which let you combine up to 2 of 13 types of oscillator algorithm (resonance, organ model, electric piano model, standard, ring modulation, VPM, brass model, reed model and more), a sub oscillator, and a noise generator. The voice section also contains a filter block featuring two multi-mode filters that cover the range from analog synth sounds to complex sounds such as the body resonance of violin or guitar, or even human voice . To this are added 5 EG units and 4 LFO units, providing a rich variety of tonal and pitch changes for each voice.

MOSS SPECIFICATION Sound Source: 6 voices, 2 oscillators (max.) + sub oscillator + noise generatorOscillator Types: 13 (Standard, Ring Modulation, Cross Modulation, Oscillator Sync, VPM (Variable Phase Modulation), Comb filter oscillator, resonance oscillator, Organ model, Electric piano model, Brass model, Reed model, Plucked string model, Bowed string model) Programs: 128 * Developed under licence of physical modelling patents (listed in http://www.sondius-xg.com) owned by Stanford University, USA, and by Yamaha Corporation.

PCM expansion boards - Install a PCM expansion board for even more PCM data

The internal PCM data and sampling data can be supplemented by adding up to 2 optional 16-Mbyte PCM data boards. Each set consists of a board containing high-quality PCM data and a 3.5" floppy disk containing 128 programs and 128 combinations that use this data.

EXB-PCM01 PCM Expansion Board - Piano/Classic Keyboards

This board provides keyboard sounds such as piano, electric piano, clavinet, and electric organ that will accommodate any style of music. The programs and combinations provided utilise 32 new multisamples which provide 7 different pianos including a spacious stereo piano, vintage electric piano sounds that range from traditional tones to clav-type sounds, electric organ sounds that lavishly use memory to capture even the modulation of a rotary speaker, and 5 types of clavinet including 2 muted variations.

EXB-PCM02 PCM Expansion Board - Studio Essentials

The 39 new multisamples include 17 brass/woodwind instruments, 8 strings, and 9 choirs (including a fantastic gospel choir) - all indispensable for ensemble sounds. All brass and strings use stereo sampling for enhanced spatial realism. From small ensembles to large, from pop to orchestral, here are the sounds you need for every application.

EXB-PCM03 PCM Expansion Board - Future Loop Construction

Provides 16MB of ReCycle!-ed drum grooves, so you can freely change tempo independent of pitch. Each groove has been set up as a Pattern that is assigned to an RPPR set (18 in all) so you can play these grooves directly from the keyboard. Styles range from Hip-Hop to Techno to Jazz and even Ethnic loops.

EXB-PCM04 PCM Expansion Board - Dance Extreme

A strong collection of synth basses, drums, hits, one-shot samples and synth waveforms, all perfect for today's many dance genres. The Combinations in this collection really show the full power of Triton's dual arpeggiators, setting up instant grooves to inspire you.

EXB-PCM05 PCM Expansion Board - Vintage Archives

An amazing collection of vintage keyboard and synth samples from yesteryear including sounds from many 'gone but not forgotten' models made by the most famous U.S.A. manufacturers of their era. This option also includes some of Korg's heritage allowing you to relive great synths like the 700S, MS/PS series and the Polysix. The sounds of keyboard classics like vintage Vox organs, magnetic tape keyboards and reed electric pianos are also included. The Programs faithfully reincarnate classic analog sounds while the combinations make full use of Triton's dual arpeggiators giving instant dance grooves with styles from Trance & Techno to Garage, Two-Step and Drum & Bass. This option is a must for all Triton owners, whatever type of music you play.

SCSI - SCSI Interface Board - Connect external media via a SCSI connector

SCSI interface lets you connect TRITON series to an external media (hard disk, removable media such as Jaz and ZIP) or a CD ROM drive. When this option is installed, you can save TRITON series data such as program/combination data, samples, sequence data, and global data to external media. Also you can load AKAI S1000/S3000 format sample & program files, KORG TRINITY format sample files, AIFF and WAVE format sample files via CD ROM drive.

EXB-DI Digital Interface Board

Adds ADAT optical connectors to the TRITON-Rack. The six channels of the TRITON-Rack's AUDIO OUTPUT jacks (MAIN) L/MONO, R, (INDIVIDUAL) 1-4 (analog audio outputs) will be output as 24 bit 48 kHz digital signals on channels 1-6 of the ADAT optical format. By using the WORD CLOCK IN jack, digital audio signals can be synchronized between the TRITON-Rack and a connected device.

EXB-mLan - mLan™ Interface Board

This is an option board for connecting the TRITON-Rack to an mLAN system. Other mLAN-compatible electronic musical instruments and computers can be connected easily using a IEEE 1394 cable, allowing high-volume transmission and reception of audio and MIDI data ( 48kHz sampling Frequency audio data can be transmitted and received via TRITON-Rack's 2 IN 6 OUT) --- a great convenience when using recording software on your computer. Included software allows the connection status of connected devices to be flexibly programmed from your computer,and OMS/ASIO drivers for Macintosh are also included.

EXB-mLAN specifications o Data transmission rate: 200 Mbps o Transmitted data: digital audio data = 8 in / 8 out, MIDI data = 16 channels x 1 port o Connectors: mLAN (IEEE 1394) x 3 ports, serial x 1 port o Dimensions: 200 (W) x 86 (D) x34 (H) mm / 7.87"(W) x3.39"(D) x1.34"(H) o Weight: 430 g / 15.18oz. o Included items: application CD-ROM (for Windows/Macintosh), IEEE 1394 cable (4.5 m) x 1

What is mLAN?
mLAN is a new communication standard that uses an audio and music data transmission protocol in conjunction with IEEE 1394 (a versatile interface that encompasses computers, musical instruments, and digital AV equipment of the future), allowing high-quality audio and MIDI to be simultaneously transmitted and received over a single cable. A maximum of approximately 100 channels of audio data or 256 ports of MIDI data (16 channels x 256 ports) can be transmitted and received (at a 200 Mbps transmission rate). mLAN is incredibly flexible, allowing up to 63 devices to be daisy-chained, and even letting you change the input/output connections between devices without reconnecting cables. From studio to stage, mLAN allows sophisticated and trouble-free setups.

#28966 - 07/23/00 09:08 PM Re: Korg pokes at xv-5080
YMH Offline

Loc: Cannada
Thankx so much Arvon45!!! That seems like a SUPER AWESOME synth, doesn't it?
Are you just implying that I should be considering to buy 3080 or Trition Rack???
mmm....... I'm starting to hesitating AGAIN!!!
How about polyphony? still 60 voices? oh my.......
But there's one more thing I'm starting to worrying : with so many cool stuff in one module, will there be any midi timing delay problem just like Yamah Ex5........ let's wait and see...
but for sure, I am doubting if I still wanna get 3080 as my 2nd synth.......

#28967 - 07/24/00 12:22 AM Re: Korg pokes at xv-5080
Cosmic Dreamer Offline

Loc: Hasselt, Limburg, Belgium
Hi,

I own a triton and I must say I've never been so happy with a synthesiser as versatile as the triton. sampling, cool sounds and good polyphony + good effects to cover different parts in sequencer mode adds to the flexible environment..

Yes indeed: the Tritonrack has a sequance PLAYER only, but do you really make all your sequences on this little thing? Personally I never use the triton to build my songs on, I always use cubase, then I record the song on my triton from external midi, so the SEQ in triton is only to playback, but i do the editing in cubase..

Now I don't think you have to worry about midi timing so much, i have a mossboard and scsi interface installed and you wondered that with all these options the system will delay? BUt I have to point out that things like the mossboard have their own DSP, the MOSSboard adds 6 voices of polyphony to your environment.

------------------

#28968 - 07/24/00 03:16 AM Re: Korg pokes at xv-5080
Korgasm Offline

Loc: Australia
From what I know, SP/DIF comes as standard but the ADAT and MLAN interfaces are optional.

Also SCSI is standard on XV5080 but an option on Triton Rack- Korg should include this as a standard feature!

The XV5080 IMHO is more powerful as a straight syntheizer (that's not to say that the Korg is lacking, it's just not as deep). However, the Korg wins out in the fx department that's for sure (but the XV's fx capabilities are also very good).

Re- polyphony- the Triton rack has 60 notes but remember each program takes up only up to 2 oscillators leaving still 30 notes of polyphony per program in dual oscillator mode. Many of the Roland's patch use at least 3 or 4 oscillators (from what I've noticed) so the polyphony issue is much less than say in the days of Trinity verses JV1080 4 years ago!

The Triton Rack comes with a 3.5" floppy drive which I think is great as well as the song play function. Also it has up to 200 'multies' as opposed to the 64 'performances' on the 5080 for selecting multi/timbral setups. Here I must ask a question- does the 5080 lose it's sample data each time it's switched off? The Roland comes with a 'smartmedia' card storage system which stores alot of data for 'alot' more money' than a floppy.

All in all, both these units sound awesome and have plusses and minuses. They are both well catered for re- expandability but add the MOSS board to the Triton Rack and it could be argued that the Korg might beat the Roland in terms of synthesis power?????

As for myself, I read about the Triton Rack on Harmony Central last night and already started thinking of what I should sell to buy it!!!! But then after the 'technolust' adrenalin died down- I became more reasonable and thought- well I've got the rack sounds in the keyboard and about the biggest thing I'd be missing is the 8x expansion- I wish the standard Triton had at least 4 slots so I could add the Dance extreme and vintage cards now available.

I could easily see Korg bringing out a 'revamped' version of the Triton keyboard next year with all the functions of the rack plus the touchscreen and sequencer- then I might think of upgrading!!!!

PS- Oh no- the technolust bug is hitting me again!!!!!!! Cheers.

PPS- I own both the Triton and XV3080 and they really do complement each other very nicely!!

#28969 - 07/24/00 07:40 AM Re: Korg pokes at xv-5080
Morten Jensen Offline

Loc: birkeparken 172 5240 odense n...
Mlan is made by yamaha and mlan have 256 midicables(4096 parts) and 100 audio.yamaha cs 6x can get mlan via expansionboard.

#28970 - 07/24/00 11:58 AM Re: Korg pokes at xv-5080
Arvon45 Offline

YMH-

The Tritons voices are "true voices" no matter what program you are in. It is a GREAT 62 voices.

#28971 - 07/24/00 12:01 PM Re: Korg pokes at xv-5080
Arvon45 Offline

korgasm-

"The XV5080 IMHO is more powerful as a straight syntheizer (that's not to say that the Korg is lacking, it's just not as deep). However, the Korg wins out in the fx department that's for sure (but the XV's fx capabilities are also very good). "

Add the MOSS card, and there is no comparison at all. Thats the beauty of the Triton.

That new Vintage card looks nice as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online