SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 23 of 47 < 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 46 47 >
Topic Options
#322200 - 04/18/11 08:06 AM Re: Free Play styles on Roland [Re: TedS]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: TedS

But the only way I can think of to make a freestyle is to audition ALL of the factory styles, mix and match string parts, tweak a note here and there, etc. Basically ASSEMBLE the style from existing parts.

BTW, the BK-7m does not have on-board style creation, so you would have to create the style on an E-50, G-70, etc.

I made a "Free-style" (Called aptly enough, Freestyle4...it was my 4th version)) on my PSR several months before Yamaha had it on the Tyros3, and it worked just fine...in fact it's still being passed around, as it will work on other Yamaha arranger instruments as well as the Tyros.

I used Style Assembly, and re-voiced string lines and pads/phrases to get what I wanted...it wasn't difficult, but it was time consuming finding the right parts, the best voice to use, and the proper place to use the parts.

I'm glad you mentioned about the BK-7m not having an on-board Style Creator, but that also makes me a bit disappointed.

Does that mean it does not even have Style Assembly? I'm reading from the other posts that it can at least re-voice a style, but, unless you already have a Roland E or G, Style Asssembly would very important, at least to most people. It's the easiest way to make your own styles.

A glaring omission, in my opinion, and another deal breaker as well.

Ian

#322201 - 04/18/11 08:09 AM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: DonM]
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Thank you for your detailed answer, Don.

#322210 - 04/18/11 10:06 AM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: George Kaye]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Ok, here are 11 examples of styles from the BK-7m. All are as
loaded on the unit at the factory with no tweaking. Also, these are all one take recordings - goofs and all.

Here is the link: http://www.box.net/shared/tgdvee8ept

Hammer

#322211 - 04/18/11 10:37 AM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: George Kaye]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Deane,

Does it sound better than your T4? To me it doesn't. However it's difficult to determine the sound quality without being there and playing it myself.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#322213 - 04/18/11 10:43 AM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: travlin'easy]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Hi Gary,
No, it does not sound as nice as my Tyros 4. But, it sure is fun to play and the styles have a really nice feeling to them that the
Tyros 4 styles lack. But, for pure sound the T4 is miles ahead.

One thing I noticed is the pre-set styles have very poor OTS settings in most cases. There is a file on the unit that Roland prepared with several hundred songs in it. These are very well done for the most part which begs the question why are the pre-set styles not setup the same way?

I am finding lots of useful styles in the "prepared" file that I can use for gigs. My next experiment will be putting the two keyboards together and using the A-800 controller to drive the Roland and using the T4 in full keyboard mode for voices only.
Later this week I'll record some of those efforts.

I don't know why the manufactures think it is a kick to sit for hours and tweak sounds and styles. For my money I want them to be in place out of the box - wishful thinking.

Hammer

Edited by hammer (04/18/11 10:46 AM)

#322221 - 04/18/11 12:11 PM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: hammer]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: hammer
I don't know why the manufactures think it is a kick to sit for hours and tweak sounds and styles. For my money I want them to be in place out of the box - wishful thinking.

Hammer

How would they determine what sounds and styles would be perfect for everyone......out of the box??? TO DREAM.........THE IMPOSSIBLE DREAM........

smile

chas

#322225 - 04/18/11 12:43 PM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: George Kaye]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Interesting to see that Deane likes the Music Finder setups, and I prefer most of the OTS setups. Different strokes!
DonM

#322226 - 04/18/11 01:04 PM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: cgiles]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By: cgiles
Originally Posted By: hammer

Hammer

How would they determine what sounds and styles would be perfect for everyone......out of the box??? TO DREAM.........THE IMPOSSIBLE DREAM........

smile

chas

On the G70 and E80, I think Roland reworked the OTS styles with version2...and I think the original Music assistant remained the same...It doesn't matter to me, I use neither,,,I want to set up my own band members and save as a single User program...and make my changes on the fly.. smile

#322227 - 04/18/11 01:19 PM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: George Kaye]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Thank you Hammer for sharing your work with the Roland module.
I understand how one can tire of the Yamaha styles (I use a Tyros 2)

Keep us posted on your thoughts on the roland.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#322232 - 04/18/11 03:02 PM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: George Kaye]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I too enjoyed your demo, Hammer.
Thank you for your efforts and explanation.
Bernie

Page 23 of 47 < 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 46 47 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online