SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#322452 - 04/21/11 05:23 AM BK7M With Nord As Controller
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I suspect a Nord Electro2 would not make a very good controller keyboard for the BK7M, but I would like the organ sounds of my Nord and Ventilator coupled with the arranger features of the BK7M.

The Nord has only basic midi, but I was thinking of having the module close enough to supplement missing midi functions with manual operation if not to cumbersome.

Any opinions ?

Attachments
Nord Implementation2.jpg

Edited by Bernie9 (04/21/11 05:25 AM)

#322459 - 04/21/11 06:48 AM Re: BK7M With Nord As Controller [Re: Bernie9]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I think the Electro is a perfect match for that module. If it had a harmonizer on board, I might have bitten, but I'd have to bring too many pieces to replace what I have now. (PA800) I wanted to try to incorporated my E3 into my live rig, but I'd miss the monitor speakers, harmonizer, sequencer/MP3 playback .... just not the perfect fit for my shows. If I used a bigger PA setup more often, I might have considered it, but I need small, fast and EZ to accommodate my one night, in-out jobs.
Try it - I'm pretty sure it'll be a great pairing.

#322464 - 04/21/11 07:45 AM Re: BK7M With Nord As Controller [Re: Bernie9]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Bernie - I've tried the BK7m using the lower manual of my Nord C1 (which is splittable with bass) as a controller. Like you, I just put the module close enough to use the local controls on the module. The problem with the E2 is the same as with the C1, no aftertouch. The same problem exists with my VP-770. This is not a huge problem but a few voices definitely benefit from aftertouch.

Dave - I have also used the VP-770 to control the BK7m, and except for the aftertouch problem mentioned above, it would be the perfect combination for the scenario you describe. It has the best harmonizer, vocoder, MP3/WAV player implementation (with the ability to play key-assignable parts of any mp3 or wav file IN SYNC and in a variety of ways ie. loop, once only, etc.) and combined with the BK7m, playback SMF's. It has some very good internal voices but can also use the RH voices of the BK7m (which are very good). A lot of people blow this instrument off but I honestly believe that if you were able to try it out for a long enough time to discover it's true potential, you might become a believer. It's an awesome instrument for a solo act that is vocal-oriented. The deficiencies of the VP-550 have definitely been overcome with the release of the VP-770. It comes with a great headset mic that virtually eliminates feedback. Truly a hidden jewel.

chas

#322467 - 04/21/11 08:06 AM Re: BK7M With Nord As Controller [Re: Bernie9]
Uncle Dave Offline

Chas, Thanx for the suggestion, but I have never been able to buddy up to Roland's harmonizer. I tried Fran's and I listened to demo after demo, and they always have a buzzy quality that turns me off. I Like the TC stuff much better, followed by the Digitech. None of the other built ins work for me.
I don't think the Nord is going to make it into my OMB setup ... I'll save it for school concerts and such. I might take it out nect weekend when we do "Little Shop of Horrors" ... there's tons of organ in that book. Might be fun!

#322468 - 04/21/11 08:19 AM Re: BK7M With Nord As Controller [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Thank you Gentlemen,
I sing about 60% of my numbers. I always use my Bose Compact so don't need keyboard speakers. The BK7M can handle midi and MP3 but no lyrics. I would have to bring my MPP or buy a PDF tablet.
Also, for midikaraoke, I could get a small video monitor.

At first, I didn't consider buying one since I have a G70, but that can turn out to be an advantage in reading other threads. I am for lighter and simpler but I don't mind a few extra pieces as I only play out three times a week with ample setup time.

mmmm- maybe

Bernie

#322480 - 04/21/11 09:26 AM Re: BK7M With Nord As Controller [Re: Uncle Dave]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
Chas, Thanx for the suggestion, but I have never been able to buddy up to Roland's harmonizer. I tried Fran's and I listened to demo after demo, and they always have a buzzy quality that turns me off. I Like the TC stuff much better, followed by the Digitech. None of the other built ins work for me.
I don't think the Nord is going to make it into my OMB setup ... I'll save it for school concerts and such. I might take it out nect weekend when we do "Little Shop of Horrors" ... there's tons of organ in that book. Might be fun!

Dave , you only tried the Discover5 on a default setting for less than 10 seconds...that doesn't count smile

Give the G70 a real try..I know it is sooooo much better than the Korg...I know because I used them both...side by side for way more than 10 seconds. grin

Also I will not be surprized if the BK audio player runs circles aeound the Korg MP3 player..I know the Prelude does.. smile

#322481 - 04/21/11 09:29 AM Re: BK7M With Nord As Controller [Re: Fran Carango]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Dump that Nord..it is over rated...I hope you saved the box grin

#322484 - 04/21/11 10:09 AM Re: BK7M With Nord As Controller [Re: Fran Carango]
Uncle Dave Offline

Originally Posted By: Fran Carango

I know it is sooooo much better than the Korg...I know because I used them both...

Sorry ... not bitin' (unless you're buyin' lunch!) It's spring break!

#322519 - 04/21/11 07:55 PM Re: BK7M With Nord As Controller [Re: Bernie9]
Uncle Dave Offline

I just revamped my entire home studio rigs to make room for the "possibility" of BK7m. I moved my Rhodes (thanx RUSS!) into my bedroom with the oldest dinosaur in the arsenal sitting on top for late night inspiration or relaxation. (Korg i5s) Don't laugh ... still sounds great for what it is.
In my recording room, I have the Nord Electro 3 sitting under a Roland VK8 - there's a third tier for a small mixer that feeds my M-Box into Pro-Tools or Garage Band (however hard I need to work), a music rack (for teaching), and it's just WAITING for a nice, flexible arranger type drum module ... maybe more to sit on that top tier with the rest.
It'd be a sweet setup as an alternative to my Korg rig that I use live. Now I just have to sell some stuff or hit the lotto!!!!!!!
Frankieeeeee, Georgeeeeeee ........ I need financing!!!!!! frown
UD

#322533 - 04/22/11 10:32 AM Re: BK7M With Nord As Controller [Re: Bernie9]
Sweentech1 Offline

Loc: Scotland, UK.
Ha ha Dave... Buy now... win later!

It seems you have a mightly load of gear there! I did laugh a bit at the i5s, but hey, I used to have an i3 and boy it was great at the time! Perhaps you should check out the VP770 as Chas suggested. I am intrigued how he uses it, because as he says it is a hidden gem. To put it in the league of the harmoniser on the DisCover5 (if I read correctly, and that is what you are doing) would mean you missed out on something completely different. The VP770 is a dedicated harmoniser, ala TRC and Digitech, but with far more advanced features. I am not going to pretend to know it all about it, because I don't, but I have heard it in action. Having performed quite well with the E80 harmoniser myself, I know what it does, but the VP770 is in a different league. The keyboardy bits [technical term] are really the add-opn to the harmoniser, not the harmoniser the add-on to the keyboard, if you see what I mean. I am no expert on it. Chas will keep you right I am sure, but he seems very passionate about it. It's definately worth a look, especially if you can get someone who knows it to show you around it.

Regards

John

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online