SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 41 of 47 < 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 46 47 >
Topic Options
#323211 - 04/30/11 09:41 AM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: trident]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: trident
Interesting (semi OT) facts...

1) This thread has more than 15 THOUSAND views, more than 2x the amount the second most viewed topic has.

2) It is the 3rd most replied to thread, and needs about 130 more replies to become first.

Since this thread does not have that many different participants, it seems to me that many more here are interested in this module, they just don't post.

No doubt about it, Trident, there is a tremendous amount of interest in this module.

There is nothing else like it available, especially at that price.

Ian

#323216 - 04/30/11 11:20 AM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: trident]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
Trident I can't speak for anyone else. But I really want to see this module succeed. Because if it doesn't, I'm afraid Roland will be out of the arranger business for good, and then our choices will be even more limited than they already are.

However, I'm not willing to waste my money or be disappointed. Program analysis is my profession, arrangers are just a hobby. I have no desire to spend evenings and weekends butting my head against the wall because of software bugs. I've gotten burned too many times in the past being an "early adopter." So I read, and wait. Most of all I hope that Roland is reading this thread, and taking our suggestions to heart. Unfortunately for us consumers, "patchware" has become a way of life for many companies. Whether or not a product EVER lives up to its original promise often depends on the level of follow-up support.

Finally a shout of thanks to those who ARE early adopters. Because if there ever is a Version 2 (or even a verision 1.06) it's because of your willingness to share your experience!

#323218 - 04/30/11 11:47 AM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: George Kaye]
Dnj Offline

I for one can't wait for the BK7 Arranger Keyboard rumored to be coming out this years also.

#323220 - 04/30/11 12:32 PM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: George Kaye]
Ric4001 Offline

Any thoughts on whether this would be a good addition to the GW8 or just more of the same? I have a GW8 already, but was thinking of this as a nice way to run two styles simultaneously or get an expanded pallet of instruments.

#323222 - 04/30/11 12:46 PM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: George Kaye]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
There is a BK-7m use group here: http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/BK-7m/join?yguid=353511160&finish=sub

If you are interested in this module the posts on the group are from owners of the module. Apparently I am not the only one having issues with very simple tasks on this module. I don't know how much "Roland expericne" these owners have but it should not require a pedigree in any manufacturers equipment to make it work. Seems to me Roland needs to be thinking about an OS upgrade. By the way, this has nothing to do with how it sounds - just the OS functionality.

Deane

Edited by hammer (04/30/11 12:49 PM)

#323227 - 04/30/11 01:41 PM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: hammer]
Mockie Offline

Loc: Dublin Ireland

Hi Folks

Enquired at Roland UK re availability BK-LBO1 USB memory stick with old styles suitable for BK-7m

Quote from Roland UK "I can confirm that the item you have enquired about, the BK-LB01 USB, will soon be available to purchase through our online shopatron facility, at www.roland.co.uk."

#323235 - 04/30/11 02:26 PM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: Mockie]
hammer Offline

Mookie,

I tried to buy this product and was told they could not ship to the states because of copyright laws. Have no idea why that would be. I completed the shipping info and attempted to check out and could not do so. An email got me the above reason. I called Roland support and was told the same thing.

Deane

#323261 - 04/30/11 09:29 PM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: George Kaye]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I'm sure we know lots of folks in Europe who would mail one to you. Not sure what's on it, or if I would need it or want it.
I'll bet you I can get one though. smile
DonM

#323356 - 05/02/11 09:29 AM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: George Kaye]
hammer Offline

Today I spoke with Jon at Roland support, who now has a BK-7m in his hands, and asked if there was any way at all to change the OTS voices and save the change as a user program. The short answer is NO!

His suggestion for a workaround is to use the part button and adjust each of the two voices, UP1 and UP2, as needed then save each change as a user program. This involves using at least 4 user programs for each song if you want 4 or more different voices per song.

I'll give it a try and see how it works. Roland's rational for this is internal memory is cheap and thumb drives can store nearly unlimited user programs.

At least I know to stop wasting time on the impossible and try a different approach.

On another issue - many of the tones on my module do not sound good. I had an E50 and an E80 and those keyboards had pretty good voices. I asked if my Roland A-800 controller could be the problem and he said yes. He suggested for the best tone sounds to try either the FP4F or the RD300NX which are heavier keyboards and provide better control over the tones.

For me this is getting worse and worse - the attraction to the module for me was being able to gig with a lighter setup. If I have to buy a heavier controller to make it work that will not solve my problem. But, I will give an honest try to the multiple user program per song technique and let everyone know how it actually works in practice.

Later,
Deane

Edited by hammer (05/02/11 09:32 AM)

#323357 - 05/02/11 09:48 AM Re: Roland BK7M Modules Just Began Shipping [Re: hammer]
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
You are a very patient man. I already had thrown the bk 7m out of the window smile. If you play the module with your T4 does the tones still not sound good?

Page 41 of 47 < 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 46 47 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online