SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#327360 - 06/26/11 03:15 PM Help!
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
I was using a full 1GB SD Card tonight (99 Folders x 20 songs)and when I took it out of the KN7000 the little whate plastic lock fell out of the card, leaving the card 'locked'.

I tried putting the card in the PC and opening with the SD KN Explorer tool to restore to another card, but of course, it came up 'Read Only' so even if I transferred it to another card, it would still be 'locked'.

This card holds a backup of all my floppy disks for the Technics keyboards I've had over the years, (professional & personal),including the KN7000.

Has anyone any ideas how to deal with this situation please?

Thanks in advance!

Audrey

#327377 - 06/26/11 07:24 PM Re: Help! [Re: Audrey Turner]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Audrey,

You could try cutting a tiny piece of clear cellophane tape, and place it tightly over the slot where the locking switch is, or was. Keep the piece of tape small, you don't want to jam your card in the keyboard or computer. If you encounter any resistance, STOP, the tape is likely too thick or too much. But if not, proceed and see if that corrects the problem.

The tape may 'fool' the card reader. If not, and you still receive a locked message, someone with the knowledge, can take the SD Card apart and unlock it.

It may also be possible to use a needle and carefully insert it where the slider was, and try to move the mechanism to the unlocked position but first try the tape trick as seen in this video:

Good Luck

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#327382 - 06/27/11 02:39 AM Re: Help! [Re: lahawk]
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Audrey, there is no need to Panic !! Just because the little tab is missing, does NOT mean that you cannot READ the card content. The lack of the tab only means that you cannot WRITE to the card !!
You should still be able to use Fred's program, the Panasonic Song Manager, or indeed WIndows to READ the 'faulty' card's content and copy to another card. In fact, you should still be able to read the card in your KN7000......
A simple method would be to insert the card in a USB Reader, connect the Reader to your PC and copy the 'PRIVATE' folder in the card to a temporary location on your PC - for example your Desktop. Then remove the 'faulty' card from your reader, insert a new card and copy the 'PRIVATE' folder to the new card.....

#327403 - 06/27/11 08:37 AM Re: Help! [Re: Audrey Turner]
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
AUDREY.... However the challenge is met....PLEASE let us know your results.

#327464 - 06/27/11 02:53 PM Re: Help! [Re: etwo4788]
Audrey Turner Offline

Hello All,

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Yes Bill! that's what I did last night but of course, the locked one was copied exact, so although I could play it on the keyboard, I couldn't 'tweak' and re-save because that too was locked.

However, your suggestion triggered my memory. Prior to changing my computer recently, I had backed up absolutely everything to DVDs so I was able to retrieve the original backup from the DVD and copy to a new SD Card - problem solved. Now why didn't I think of that in the first place eh?
Yet another 'senior moment' I guess.

Thanks again everyone.

Audrey

#327521 - 06/28/11 06:47 AM Re: Help! [Re: Audrey Turner]
jd5live Offline

Loc: Bilston , West Midlands,Englan...
Hi Audrey,when you place the card into the computer card reader and copy the card to a temporary file place, the file can then be copied to a new card and be used as usual because the lock is a physical piece of plastic which is detected by the card reader/keyboard.This means that the data on the new card can be edited and tweaked as if it was the original card.If you go back to the days of audio/video tapes,they had little tabs that you broke off so you did not lose you favorite copy,this again used a physical sensor in the machines which locked the record button.By placing tape on an SD as in the video you can use it as normal,I have had many SD's were the tabs have dropped out,many used in my camera as you tend to swoop the card much more than in the KN7.
hope this helps Regards John.

#327606 - 06/28/11 04:17 PM Re: Help! [Re: Audrey Turner]
Audrey Turner Offline

Thank you for your advice John,

This was suggested, but to be honest, it is so tiny I didn't trust the card not to somehow get wedged in the socket, so I didn't go down that road.

Also, I don't use the Technics card reader, but the brilliant SD Card Explorer that Fred Mellinck and friend produced. (Computer based only).

With the Technics system, there are several actions you have to take before getting to the actual sets and then these are numbers only, whereas with Fred's software, you are presented with the exact 'Named' Folders, showing all 20 'Named' Files (if you've saved that many of course) and clicking on each Folder produces the named files contained therein. It also contains several options e.g. backup, restore, delete, sort and you can even make an Index of all the contents of the SD Card.

It is a great piece of kit and saves hours of typing. Using Fred's sytem, the whole 99 Folders and Files were restored to a new SD Card within minutes. I then loaded the new card into the KN7 and everything is o.k. (I didn't need to do another Index as I already have that on my computer.

Thanks again.

Audrey

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online