SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#327765 - 06/30/11 11:23 AM Arrangers for Contemporary Music
Joesax Offline

Loc: Southern New Jersey
I posted some of this in the PA3X Demo thread but wanted to post under a more appropriate topic. First let me say that I think all arrangers from Yamaha, Korg, Roland and Audya are excellent keyboards. Each in their own right provide a different and musically interesting approach to music creation.I also believe that each can be used to play and create more contemporary music. However most demos of these boards focus on styles of the past, 60's, 80's, Big band, etc. Rightly so as these boards do an excellent job on all of those and the buyers are typically those who value styles of that nature.

I do think this short changes their capability and categorizes them as something only for older types of music. Modern arrangers can offer the same type of musical experience as most workstations and with a lot less work.

I often wondered what would be the acceptance if Yamaha introduced a Tyros-like keyboard, with a different name, and with hundreds of modern styles only ( similar to their performances on the Motif). No big band, easy listening, etc. Plus add some of the editing and sampling found in the Motif.

In any case I have found it easy to create compositions with a more contemporary feel by just modifying existing styles. Here are 2 of my compositions that I believe will show what a Tyros 3 can do. It would be just as easy to do also on any of the other arrangers. I actually use converted styles from Roland and Korg.

http://www.box.net/shared/ytlh5b4khhd1a1x5zve3

http://www.box.net/shared/84ezyhgbhuvtgdf2pdca

Edited by Joesax (06/30/11 11:26 AM)
Tyros 3, Motif XF6, Quad Amp/Pre-Amp/DAC, Quad Monitors, Tascam Digital Recorder

#327769 - 06/30/11 11:42 AM Re: Arrangers for Contemporary Music [Re: Joesax]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Excellent work, Joe, and two very nice compositions/arrangements.

Ian

#327796 - 06/30/11 04:05 PM Re: Arrangers for Contemporary Music [Re: ianmcnll]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Hey Joe, very nice relaxing sound.

I see no reason why arrangers can't be used for music of our 21 centurary. I get frustrated trying to find current Latin styles.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#327805 - 06/30/11 08:58 PM Re: Arrangers for Contemporary Music [Re: montunoman]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: montunoman

I see no reason why arrangers can't be used for music of our 21 centurary. I get frustrated trying to find current Latin styles.

This is where your better off with a workstaion so you can CREATE all the styles you want instead of being a slave to factory styles.

#327809 - 06/30/11 10:47 PM Re: Arrangers for Contemporary Music [Re: Joesax]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
i dont agree DNJ. Its just about whether you know what you are doing creating a style. Th arranger allows you to have different chordvariations when programming a style . I dont think any workstation has an equivalent. If you cant create great styles on an arranger you definately wont be able to create great styles on a workstation.

#327812 - 06/30/11 11:17 PM Re: Arrangers for Contemporary Music [Re: Dnj]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
Originally Posted By: montunoman

This is where your better off with a workstaion so you can CREATE all the styles you want instead of being a slave to factory styles.

Donny,

I am confused,getting old, can you explain to me what your handle is on the difference between a WS and an arrange , Spalding doesn't agree with your slant. Give it your best shots please, my man at my KB shop said there is no difference but what the hell does he know, your da man!
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#327822 - 07/01/11 03:59 AM Re: Arrangers for Contemporary Music [Re: Tony Hughes]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas

Donny,

I am confused,getting old, can you explain to me what your handle is on the difference between a WS and an arrange , Spalding doesn't agree with your slant. Give it your best shots please, my man at my KB shop said there is no difference but what the hell does he know, your da man! [/quote]

Tony, I'm with you. What's the difference between a style on an arranger and an arpegeator on a work station? I always thought workstation were better for sequencing a whole song and arranger were more for style play. Now I'm getting more confussed! Maybe this is a good topic for another thread: Arranger vs Workstation.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#327825 - 07/01/11 04:29 AM Re: Arrangers for Contemporary Music [Re: Tony Hughes]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Tony

WORKSTATION
Have great sounds, massive editing facilities, but no pre-set content (Songbooks etc.) so you pretty much have to create what you want from scratch, thus an initial heavy workload. (Chord recognition and programming does come as standard in most boards these days though)

ARRANGER
Is full of easy play features (They were after all originally designed the home market) and are great for knocking up something quick, however very limited when you want to customise.

A combination of the 2 boards (T4 and Kronos for instance) gives you the best of both worlds.

ALTERNATIVES
Add a computer and software to an arranger, as this make even hardware workstations look limited; however the downside is that it requires a good midi implementation on the arranger to get the best out of it. (Not forgetting an initial steep learning curve)

Hope this helps

Bill

#327827 - 07/01/11 05:49 AM Re: Arrangers for Contemporary Music [Re: Joesax]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I sincerely believe the arranger keyboard can do just about anything a work station can do, plus has lots of added features that make creations such as the excellent example posted above a much easier task.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#327870 - 07/01/11 04:56 PM Re: Arrangers for Contemporary Music [Re: Joesax]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
you are right gary .
listen to this produced on a yammy PSR just like you would create a track on a workstation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0ADrJ7Tgzs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online