SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 8 of 10 < 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#339333 - 02/11/12 02:33 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Scottyee]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I think that is real good advice Scott.

When I first got my Micro The small keys seemed awkward, and I immediately thought about a midi alternatives. I persevered, and in a short while I adapted.

I now play the Micro on top directly, and the Nord on the bottom, with left hand accomp control activated by either. I have my Ventilator hooked up to the Nord, giving me a B3 and arranger in one light package.

I am in the process of mapping the factory styles and performances to see which ones I want for gigs. Afterward, I start integrating John Smies excellent material, which should occupy a good portion of my pallet.

As an added bonus, I find the Korg styles to be great, and has really inspired me to different material.

Bernie

#339342 - 02/11/12 06:36 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Bernie9]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Bernie9
I find the Korg styles to be great, and has really inspired me to different material.
Bernie

Bernie...I totally agree....there is a certain LIVE
"je ne sais quoi" using KORG styles that just inspires you to play better ....I love the bass lines in many of the styles when changing chords also they just seem to flow really well.
Enjoy your setup.

#339346 - 02/11/12 07:16 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I have noticed..owners of the MicroArranger, that also own Yamaha arrangers (both PSR s910, and Tyros3 and 4...have appreciated the difference between in their words..live sound of Korg , verses the"fake" overall sound of the Yamaha line..

Everyone that offered up their unsolicited opinion , has stated this to me, maybe not all in the exact words I used, but within the same vein..

The Micro gave them the chance to compare in their own homes with their own sound systems...both brands...

Aftermath..I know several folks have sold their Yamaha gear, not to be replaced by the Micro arranger, but they have moved on to Korg full size keyboards...

I am not sure these folks would air out their findings here on SZ.....(Ian -itis is feared grin), but privately, they sincerely offer up opinions that are favorably..Korg..

#339347 - 02/11/12 07:33 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Fran Carango]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

In my view there is no need to sacrifice whichever brand. On the Dutch keyboard forum I have posted a lenghty article on the merits of having two brands at your disposal. In essence my point of view is that most folks will be better off with both a Korg and Yamaha than with only one brand of keyboard. ( please subsitute either if you like by Roland)
If you are on the smallest possible budget a PA50 ( or Micro) combined with a Yamaha PSR 1500/3000/700/900 will cost you just over 1000-1200 euros. If you have no financial worries go for the PA3X and the Tyros 4.
Mind you that will set you back approx. 7000 euros, at least overhere in Europe. In between are many other options. Being a Korg man myself I have grown quite attached to my recently acquired PSR900. I amplify the Yamaha via the Korg PA800 which gives it an additional boost. I was lucky to acquire the used Yamaha for only 700 euros. All in all my set up cost me considerably less than a plain new Korg PA3X (without the speakers).
Don't get me wrong, I ain't knocking the PA3X or the Tyros 4 for that matter, all I am saying is that in my view it is often best to go for two brands of keyboards, even if it entails " having to make do " with the sub top or dated top model.......
Just my 2 cents.

regards,
John Smies

P.S. I am glad that more and more folks are beginning to discover the potential of the Micro in whatever set up. I wish my Yamaha PSR900 was a micro version. As it is it takes up rather a hell of space............ smile

#339351 - 02/11/12 08:10 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Fran Carango]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Fran Carango

I am not sure these folks would air out their findings here on SZ.....(Ian -itis is feared grin), but privately, they sincerely offer up opinions that are favorably..Korg..

Ian-itus...something like "Fran-itus" when it comes to Roland?

I'm tickled to finally have something named after me, so I figured you, at the very least, deserve the same. grin

Ian

PS...not to worry Fran...you'll hear no more about the whatchamaycallit from me.

#339353 - 02/11/12 08:16 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: john smies]
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Owning a Korg PA3X I really don't see why I need or want a second arranger. If I want extra sounds I use samples or VST's if I want styles from other brands I convert them or use Varranger.

#339356 - 02/11/12 08:42 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: FransN]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: FransN
Owning a Korg PA3X I really don't see why I need or want a second arranger. If I want extra sounds I use samples or VST's if I want styles from other brands I convert them or use Varranger.

I never understood people with 2 arrangers...

If you needed anything to a PA3X, it would be a Solosynth/Pro workstation/PC running VST, but not a 2nd arranger... because almost all styles can be converted and adjusted to your own arranger.

So a PC with VST's if you dont need any extra keys, and the others if you do need them... Personally i am a big fan of one instrument with weithed keys and another with unweighted synth action keys...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#339357 - 02/11/12 08:45 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Scottyee]
Dnj Offline

+1 for ONE Arranger on stage!

#339358 - 02/11/12 08:45 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Bachus]
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Originally Posted By: Bachus
Originally Posted By: FransN

I never understood people with 2 arrangers...

If you needed anything to a PA3X, it would be a Solosynth/Pro workstation/PC running VST, but not a 2nd arranger... because almost all styles can be converted and adjusted to your own arranger.

So a PC with VST's if you dont need any extra keys, and the others if you do need them... Personally i am a big fan of one instrument with weithed keys and another with unweighted synth action keys...

Exactly what I mean.

#339365 - 02/11/12 08:58 AM Re: Korg micro-ARRANGER : something a little different [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Dnj
+1 for ONE Arranger on stage!

You can add my vote...have only needed ONE.

Ian

Page 8 of 10 < 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online