SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#341105 - 02/29/12 03:46 PM Korg MIcrostation vs Microarranger keys
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Went to GC today and felt the keys on the Microstation. I assume these are identical in size and action as the microarranger?

#341106 - 02/29/12 03:49 PM Re: Korg MIcrostation vs Microarranger keys [Re: Scott Langholff]
CoasterTim Offline

Loc: Allentown, PA, USA
Scott,
Yes I can verify that. Identical.
Took me a couple days to adjust, but they really are OK.

-----------------------------------------------------------
YAMAHA CVP-509 / Korg Pa300

#341110 - 02/29/12 04:06 PM Re: Korg MIcrostation vs Microarranger keys [Re: CoasterTim]
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Thanks for the reply. For me, that took me off the market to even consider a microarranger. I play by touch and feel which makes it extra easy to play. I know I couldn't or wouldn't want to deal with keys like that.

#341116 - 02/29/12 04:57 PM Re: Korg MIcrostation vs Microarranger keys [Re: CoasterTim]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Originally Posted By: CoasterTim

Took me a couple days to adjust, but they really are OK.

I concur with Tim and feel the short 'adjustment time' to master the smaller keys was well worth the trade-off to gain the grab and go ease of being able to take the little 9 lb micro keyboard any where (up flights of stairs etc) and all in one trip with all assoc gear under one arm, making it both quicker & easier = financially feasible, to accept gigs I wouldn't consider if I had to drag my Tyros 4 to along with it's assoc gear. Btw ScottL: I too 'play by touch' on all 3 of my keyboards. It took a little practice time on the microArranger, but I'm now able to adjust "playing by touch" going back and forth between my 3 keyboards (microArr, Tyros 4, and Steinway B Grand). cool

Tim, congratulations on your new Korg Microstation - Microarranger setup. clap
Do the sounds included on the microStation differ greatly from the MicroArranger?
Please tell us more about your setup and how you midi and utilize these two keyboards together (preferred sounds from each, etc) ? Thanks. Scott smile

#341126 - 02/29/12 06:51 PM Re: Korg MIcrostation vs Microarranger keys [Re: Scottyee]
CoasterTim Offline

Loc: Allentown, PA, USA
Originally Posted By: Scottyee
[quote=CoasterTim]

Tim, congratulations on your new Korg Microstation - Microarranger setup. clap
Do the sounds included on the microStation differ greatly from the MicroArranger?
Please tell us more about your setup and how you midi and utilize these two keyboards together (preferred sounds from each, etc) ? Thanks. Scott smile

Scott, the sounds on the MS are slightly more advanced than those on the MA - plus there are over 1,000. Then add in the dozens of combi's and arpeggiator and you've got one powerful little instrument.

As far as setup goes, I'm not there yet. I'm what you'd call a MIDIot. I wonder if they've published the 'Idiot's Guide to MIDI'. I'll admit, it confuses me. As a matter of fact, I'm probably going to sell the microSTATION.

-----------------------------------------------------------
YAMAHA CVP-509 / Korg Pa300

#341145 - 02/29/12 10:58 PM Re: Korg MIcrostation vs Microarranger keys [Re: CoasterTim]
Duane O Offline

Loc: Ridgecrest, California, USA
This key size issue seems to be predominant with keyboard players. We learn on an acoustic piano, or a home organ, and that's how we determine what is a normal key size.

My oldest son started on violin. Then he switched to upright bass. Then electric fretted bass, to acoustic guitar, to electric guitar, to banjo, and a mandolin. Every neck was different. Some with frets, some without. Some with 4, 5, 6 or 8 strings. His fingers adjusted.

Horn players have the same challenge.

I think that keyboard players should strive for the same flexibility with their instruments.

Duane

Edited by Duane O (02/29/12 10:59 PM)

#341161 - 03/01/12 02:24 AM Re: Korg MIcrostation vs Microarranger keys [Re: Scott Langholff]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I agree with Scott Yee and Duane.

I think many are missing the boat by too hastily condemning the keys. For me, the KMA is the best $499 I ever spent.

I hadn't played smaller keys since the Casio 101 nearly 40 years ago, and the Korg keys are bigger. I can now play the KMA as easily as any.

Bernie

#341176 - 03/01/12 07:26 AM Re: Korg MIcrostation vs Microarranger keys [Re: Scott Langholff]
Bachus Offline

You can allways use the micro versions in the same way as you would use modules. use a fullsized midi masterkeyboard or a Synthworkstations keys... this gives you a lot of bang for the money.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#341183 - 03/01/12 07:54 AM Re: Korg MIcrostation vs Microarranger keys [Re: Duane O]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By: Duane O
This key size issue seems to be predominant with keyboard players. We learn on an acoustic piano, or a home organ, and that's how we determine what is a normal key size.

My oldest son started on violin. Then he switched to upright bass. Then electric fretted bass, to acoustic guitar, to electric guitar, to banjo, and a mandolin. Every neck was different. Some with frets, some without. Some with 4, 5, 6 or 8 strings. His fingers adjusted.

Horn players have the same challenge.

I think that keyboard players should strive for the same flexibility with their instruments.

Duane

Duane, I think I disagree with you smile
Keyboard players ..especially piano players...part of their training is the key response, and the better the key response..the better the player...I think it is a compromise that is not necessary..

Another point..all of the above examples you listed...none use all 10 fingers at the same time as we keyboard players do....I think this has to be considered too...Key bed comfort has always been one of the most important things for me...

Can we adapt...of course...should we ..Nope...technique will suffer..

#341215 - 03/01/12 12:11 PM Re: Korg MIcrostation vs Microarranger keys [Re: Fran Carango]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Fran Carango

Keyboard players ..especially piano players...part of their training is the key response, and the better the key response..the better the player...I think it is a compromise that is not necessary..

Another point..all of the above examples you listed...none use all 10 fingers at the same time as we keyboard players do....I think this has to be considered too...Key bed comfort has always been one of the most important things for me...

Can we adapt...of course...should we ..Nope...technique will suffer..

We don't often agree, Fran, but we do here.

Those small keys are murder on technique, no matter what is said...I was a Yamaha teacher for quite a few years, and there were no mini keyed instruments allowed, even though Yamaha was making a PSS series at the time, which sported mini-keys. I disliked them immensely.

Ian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online