SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#349069 - 08/13/12 06:43 PM For those using iPad for charts...a new app
miden Offline

Loc: The World
I just came across this by accident, because I am about to start converting my entire sheet library into pdf files, and I have been hunting for a good dedicated scanner...

This app is called Turboscan for iOS, costs 2.99 and I attach an example of a scan I did with my iPad 3 camera (apparently the iPad 2 camera doesn't give as good a result) so those with iPad 2 or 1, should probably use the iPhone to take the pic...

Now this is my first attempt so it is a bit dodgy, but with practice it should get better I think, but this may be a really cheap solution.

Took a second to take the pic, another couple to do minor adjustment and then just sent it straight to a pdf file (it also can use other formats I think)..

Anyway, just thought I would share the discovery. For those who already know about it, sorry wink

Dennis

PS: Don't confuse this app with a similar one called Turbo Scanner, which is apparently VERY dodgy..make sure it is TurboScan

Attachments
Doc - 14-08-2012 11-19 AM.jpg

#349071 - 08/13/12 07:53 PM Re: For those using iPad for charts...a new app [Re: miden]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Thanks Dennis,
I'll definately check that out.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#349074 - 08/13/12 08:25 PM Re: For those using iPad for charts...a new app [Re: miden]
miden Offline

No worries Rikki - I have since tried a couple of different settings and on colour (not B+W) like this example, it is a LOT better!!!

But the file size on medium is only about 750k for the colour setting...apparently Adobe Pro can optimise even further so one could them down to about 80k with the same quality...

I was about to drop about $400 on a dedicated flatbed scanner, but this is SO quick and easy to use...Can use it anywhere I can take my iPad (or iPhone)...

Means I can scan while watching tele, or wherever.....

It also has a "three picture mode" where you take three pics and it has some algorithms that morph the best bits of all three to get an even better result..

I am not sure if it can save to a multiple page pdf as I haven't gone that far, but Irfan view is a snap to use to join individual pages to a single multi-page pdf anyway smile

D

#349078 - 08/13/12 09:39 PM Re: For those using iPad for charts...a new app [Re: miden]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Thanks Dennis,
haven't had a chance to download it yet.

Like you, the portability of using the ipad is going to be handy.

Lucky you didn't buy the scanner. My printer actually scans and saves as PDF, haven't actually tried loading a pdf from my printer into ipad, but I think it should work. The printers a couple of years old and cost under $100 back then. No doubt they've improved & gotten cheaper.
Certainly not as cheap or portable as the ipad app though . haahaa

Going to buy it shortly.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#349096 - 08/14/12 09:59 AM Re: For those using iPad for charts...a new app [Re: miden]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Dennis,

Thanks for your heads up recommendation of Turboscan.
Downloaded mine from the iTunes App store for $1.99 US.
I love the on the fly quick scan convenience, and that it produces decent looking scanned PDF file results on my iPad 3 as well.
In addition to leadsheet and lyric-chord charts, its a quick and convenient way to digitize receipts, and any other paper documents as well. Well worth my $ spent.

- Scott smile

#349097 - 08/14/12 10:19 AM Re: For those using iPad for charts...a new app [Re: miden]
miden Offline

Cool Scott smile It makes it so easy to scan books...which can be a tad difficult to flatten out enough for a flatbed...

For charts to be read on an iPad it does a great job. And as you say, receipts or anything really, even photographs...

Dennis

#349105 - 08/14/12 12:19 PM Re: For those using iPad for charts...a new app [Re: miden]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
BTW, Dennis... one of my favorite early Fleetwood Mac tunes..!

#349108 - 08/14/12 12:59 PM Re: For those using iPad for charts...a new app [Re: miden]
miden Offline

wink Wondered if anyone would pick up on it ... well done m8, yep that's the one..Sounds really nice with a phased Wurly with the release settings tweaked out a bit (doncha just love these modern sampled instruments - could not have done that with the original hey wink )...with a very ambient uncluttered rhythm section behind it..

D

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online