SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#356315 - 12/10/12 01:02 PM Kn 1600 questions....
Krychek Offline

Hi

I recently acquired a used kn 1600.

it didn't come with a manual but I've been online and found it in pdf form.

a couple of questions:-

(1) I am playing it through two KRK monitor speakers for better sound. It does this....but is there anyway in settings to turn off the speakers in the board and run the KRK's only?
Do I have to get an adaptor cable and run from the "headphone" out to the KRK's? The KRK's have their own built-in amps in each speaker.

Also....in "accessories" it shows two models of foot switch.
One is an "expression" pedal,the other is a "footswitch".
Which one would be for adding momentary "sustain" like on a piano?

I guess on this board the only way to save any and all settings is to download to disk, right?
It turns off internal power after 80 minutes (after you shut the board power off)and everything is gone except MIDI settings according to the manual......I'm not sure which settings are MIDI though.

If anyone has a hardcopy manual they would like to sell for the kn1600 I would buy it from you.

Have had Technics boards before and they absolutely smoke anything Yamaha ever made.

I am just hoping Technics/Matsushita come to their senses and start making the kn boards again. I am so done with Yamaha.
(I also own two Yamaha boards).

Also.......do they make any kind of replacement floppy drives that will fit this board easily?
I don't need one now....but.....just in case....

Cheers.....

Edited by Krychek (12/10/12 01:11 PM)

#356347 - 12/10/12 06:58 PM Re: Kn 1600 questions.... [Re: Krychek]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I would take the sound source from the output of the keyboard -- Stereo right and left, one to each speaker.

On the Kn7000 you can turn off the internal speakers – I am not sure how your keyboard handles this. I remember putting a dummy ¼ inch plug into the headphone output – I have heard but positives and negatives about doing it that way.
(a dummy jack is a ¼ inch jack that is not wired.)

No answers for your other questions.

John C.

#356363 - 12/11/12 01:32 AM Re: Kn 1600 questions.... [Re: Krychek]
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Footswitch set to sustain provides momentary sustain.
Right - save settings to disk. Only way.
Doubt you'd find a spare floppy drive now - many years since this model was manufactured.

#356590 - 12/13/12 10:12 AM Re: Kn 1600 questions.... [Re: Krychek]
Krychek Offline

Thanks for info, all......

The KRK's do work when assigned to L &L/R output. The onboard speakers also work at the same time. There does not seem to be enough "power" going to the KRK's though......because the onboards are about as loud as the KRK's and just about drown them out at any setting. I've played the KRK's off a Yamaha XS6 Motif (which does not have internal speakers) and they'll go much louder then. (Loud enough to enjoy the music at comfortable level).

I bought a 1/4" stereo jack which splits the headphone output into left and right output. I'll give that a try.

The KN1600 has a bunch of onboard tweeks....reverb, surround, "Illusion", that when set up make the board sound about 100% better than playing "cold" after power-on.

Also I like the really easy "Accomp" part-change.......it will improve many of the onboard styles in a jiffy.

Does this board have "Instant Style Creator"? That was THE favorite thing I like about the AX7 I once had. Sorry I ever got rid of it now.

The AX7 had crap onboard speakers. (As do many of the boards of any brand nowadays). But when bypassed and played into a much better speaker the sound was a 1000% improvement. The KN1600 played through KRK"s is awesome. But the onboard speakers played at the same time is annoying.

I made an entire CD with an AX7. I defy anybody to tell the difference in final quality between it and a professional CD.

I heard that back in the day THE WHO used an AX7 on the road. But they had their "techies" remove the onboard speakers and played it into amps only.

"FloppyDisk.Com" has floppy disks that they still sell....plus floppydisk-drive cleaning kits......and.....they still sell Dell floppy drives. They say that the Dells are a good unit.
Don't know if they could be adapted to Technics boards though. Maybe as an "external" unit?

At a glance they could be a straight remove-and-replace.......

Edited by Krychek (12/13/12 10:20 AM)

#356596 - 12/13/12 11:44 AM Re: Kn 1600 questions.... [Re: Krychek]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Don't count on a disk drive working, even though it may physically fit.

I bought a used KN5000 that had a nonworking floppy drive. After failing to find a Technics replacement, I contacted a firm that specialized in making clones. The firm tried for two weeks to duplicate the propriatory software and failed. Because it fits is just half the battle.

#356614 - 12/13/12 04:34 PM Re: Kn 1600 questions.... [Re: Bernie9]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I put a 1/4 inch plug into the headphones jack when I don't want the on board speakers to play ... don't know if that works on a 1600

#356644 - 12/14/12 03:16 PM Re: Kn 1600 questions.... [Re: Krychek]
Krychek Offline

Yes.....I put a dummy 1/4 inch plug in the headphone jack and it worked like a charm. Now all I hear is the KRK's and the total volume is much better!

Thanks all for the suggestion.

Haven't tried out the floppy drive on it yet. Hopefully it will work.

At first glance it appeared there were only a few styles on the KN1600.....but after pressing the "Music Stylist" button, I discovered there were hundreds more in there.......sweet.

I'm having a lot of fun with this board so far.

The piano sounds are a little anaemic......but they are tweakable with onboard processors etc.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online